Today's SOUL Playlist

Hmmm good to know; Didn't know 20th Century was on the brink. Hot City is the Gene Page instrumental produced by Barry White (although Gene did the music writing, arranging etc.), Barry produced the album, and played keyboards. He helped write most of the selections as well. Hot City is a masterpeice of a soul instrumental as well, on par with Rhapsody in White and White Gold.

It's strange to listen to that Gene Page album and hear the Love Unlimited Orchestra on Atlantic records, so used to see the 20th Century label spinning around.

It's strange to listen to that Gene Page album and hear the Love Unlimited Orchestra on Atlantic records, so used to see the 20th Century label spinning around.
True that but the sound of the orchestra is like musical liquor to the ears. She's My Main Squeeze is the definite sweet spot, followed by the one two punch of Gene's Theme, and the closing song of side A.

Listen to this cut; An example of the amazing work with White and Gene Page. From JayDee's album.

Listening to that tune right now. Yes, it definitely has the Love Unlimited sound! Never heard it before! Thanks!! :thumbsup: Another album I have to add to my "Want" list!

Barry also produced an album by the group "White Heat". Need to get that one too!!

R-2059477-1265030481.gif.jpg

White Heat. I heard of them, but I never picked up this one. I think this White iteration was just a band w/o the strings, but I could be wrong. I have to get this one.

JayDee's album is great. The first cut (another "theme" title....Jay's Theme) was outstanding. Plus an early version of Strange Games and Things. You will not find this caliber of music anywhere in the R&B, soul genre......ashame.

White Heat. I heard of them, but I never picked up this one. I think this White iteration was just a band w/o the strings, but I could be wrong. I have to get this one.

JayDee's album is great. The first cut (another "theme" title....Jay's Theme) was outstanding. Plus an early version of Strange Games and Things. You will not find this caliber of music anywhere in the R&B, soul genre......ashame.

The "White Heat" album is on the rare side and is pricy!

Yes, they sure don't make this kind of music anymore!

There was another act White produced during this period but the name escapes me....Eric??? Not sure but I believe he was a guitarist and singer. I ran across the name a long time ago but it escapes me. Of course, there was Gloria!!, and also Tom Brock.

Yes, I think your right, it's from the late '70's. Gloria, who can forget that album!!! Such a shame she didn't have a recording career! Neil Bogart (Casablanca) wanted Barry White and not Gloria Scott.

Yes, I think your right, it's from the late '70's. Gloria, who can forget that album!!! Such a shame she didn't have a recording career! Neil Bogart (Casablanca) wanted Barry White and not Gloria Scott.
Yes she could've blossomed, but she was just a performer for Barry's big machine. Oddly enough, Casablanca went on to promote another talent who became an icon.........Donna Summer.

Earlier: Various Artists, "From Sacred to Secular-- A Soul Awakening"

image.jpg

This is a really great, 8-CD set (perhaps more appropriate for Box Set Friday) that traces the Gospel to Soul connections.

GJ

Re: Barry White Did you know Who the drummer was on those recordings Ed Green He appeared later On Donald Fagen Nightfly Album Steely Dan "I Got The news" Many Many More

iu

Commute Home: More of this...

View attachment 1291704

Such a great comp. Highly recommended!!

GJ

And more again today. Such a great comp!!
With 8 discs, there's a lot of material to go through. No filler here. Also very few "usual suspects" same-old tracks that are licensed over and over. There's a lot of deep cuts on the Soul/Blues/R&B tip, as well as in the Gospel vein. Really well done!

GJ

Back
Top Bottom