Factory riser dimensions for Altec 15

analoged

Hello,
Hoping someone here could give me the dimensions of the factory installed riser for Altec model 15.
Just picked a pair up that doesn't have them.I'l try to make pair.
Thanks in advance.

Bear with me here. I have a pair of Model 15's that I bought from an estate sale. They need a restoration, they have been on the back burner for a couple of months. A few weeks after I bought the speakers (along with a LOT of other HiFi equipment), the daughter of the collector contacted me and had a few more things if I wanted them. With a variety of miscellaneous things were some speaker stands. I didn't think much about them but took them anyway. Now, based on your request, I'm thinking they might be for the Model 15's. Looking at the pics on the web, they certainly could be. The measurements are 18" square, the back height is 3", front height is 1 1/4". I attached a pic below. Let me know if you think these are authentic. Thanks

Attachments

• 20180925_082310.png
    20180925_082310.png
    503.1 KB · Views: 29
20 W x 13-3/4 D x 1-1/2 H made from the same 3/4 inch MDF as the rest of the cabinet. Painted black.

EDIT: correction, only the edges of the riser are painted. The outer surface is a textured laminate of some sort, probably melamine. It's the same material/finish used on the risers and collars between the LF and HF sections of models 14 and 19.

They also have feet/glides on the corners of the riser from the factory. Nearly white in color, i think they're nylon, 3/4 diameter, about 1/4 inch tall

Last edited:
20 W x 13-3/4 D x 1-1/2 H made from the same 3/4 inch MDF as the rest of the cabinet. Painted black.

EDIT: correction, only the edges of the riser are painted. The outer surface is a textured laminate of some sort, probably melamine. It's the same material/finish used on the risers and collars between the LF and HF sections of models 14 and 19.

They also have feet/glides on the corners of the riser from the factory. Nearly white in color, i think they're nylon, 3/4 diameter, about 1/4 inch tall
Thank you for this detailed reply.
cheers,Ed

You're welcome!

Note that the riser is not centered, but rather pushed forward with only about a 3/8 inch setback from the front of the cabinet.

mod 15 riser.jpg

I'm sorry 'caddy, i don't. The 14's i have are currently still a slow work in progress. They were in very bad shape, yet priced accordingly.

When i got them, they were already missing both risers. So, i'll be looking to someone like yourself to verify that the 14 used the same or similar pad/glide as the 15.

Apparently, at some point in time one of the tangerines became dis-mounted. This usually results in a very intense and annoying buzzing from the horn. Previous owner saw fit to remedy the situation by simply removing and discarding the tangerine. "You probably don't need those pesky things in there anyway". ;)

The bases on my 15's rotted out, Altec's particle board bases just don't last 40 years. I replaced them with some arrow head/spikes. It cured the vibrating noise I heard when they were cranked.

The bases will definitely be destroyed if they are allowed to get wet, otherwise they should last indefinitely. Mine are still in perfect shape except for a small area where the black applique strip had pulled away from the particle board. Probably a result of the speaker being dragged on carpeting.

Bases can easily be fabricated as needed.

Back
Top Bottom