Mc D150 dac/streaming help

rocknroll1

I am new to streaming and have the following setup- Denon Heos Link (set to quality high) via wi-fi optical out to my D150 dac. I am playing Tidal premium and everything sounds good. On dac screen it reads 44.1K. My question am I getting the highest resolution with these settings?

Yes. Only when the DAC supports MQA does the Masters content deliver *lossy high resolution*.

FWIW, the coaxial output will likely provide lower jitter. The Toslink standard is inherently high.

I have the D100 and it is connected to my music server via USB. On that server is a mix of FLAC files, ranging from 16 bit/44.1kHz to 24/192.

My D100 shows the bit rate and sample rate of the source material being played at the time. If the next file has a different value, the display will reflect that files specs.

So does Tidal stream at 44.1 kHz? I thought it was higher.

I was concerned about jitter on the USB so I installed a Wyred 4 Sound USB reclocker. It did make a difference.

Good luck with the D150. It is capable of decoding DSD at some awesomely high resolution. I hope you get a chance to explore that codec plus some high resolution FLAC as well.

I have the D100 and it is connected to my music server via USB. On that server is a mix of FLAC files, ranging from 16 bit/44.1kHz to 24/192.

My D100 shows the bit rate and sample rate of the source material being played at the time. If the next file has a different value, the display will reflect that files specs.

So does Tidal stream at 44.1 kHz? I thought it was higher.

I was concerned about jitter on the USB so I installed a Wyred 4 Sound USB reclocker. It did make a difference.

Good luck with the D150. It is capable of decoding DSD at some awesomely high resolution. I hope you get a chance to explore that codec plus some high resolution FLAC as well.
I thought Tida had a higher sample rate also. I thought I was right though that the window would show the current rate being played. The Heos does not have USB out, only in.

I just looked it up. Tidal streams at 16/44.1 so your D150 is operating correctly.

I'm not familiar with the Denon HEOS. Are you using it as a pre-amp, a streaming device and a wireless node? I ask because the D150 has so much more to offer in SQ providing you have other sources. The ESS chipset in the D150 is an awesome performer, IMHO. And, of course the D150 also functions as a pre-amp.

The HEOS will handle FLAC up to 24/192 as well as DSD in 2.8 & 5.6 MHZ. It's almost as if you have two DACs in place but the HEOS is not processing the digital signals but is passing them through to the D150.

Not sure how you have it all hooked up but if you can, try connecting that D150 via USB to a PC with some digital music on it.

I just looked it up. Tidal streams at 16/44.1 so your D150 is operating correctly.

I'm not familiar with the Denon HEOS. Are you using it as a pre-amp, a streaming device and a wireless node? I ask because the D150 has so much more to offer in SQ providing you have other sources. The ESS chipset in the D150 is an awesome performer, IMHO. And, of course the D150 also functions as a pre-amp.

The HEOS will handle FLAC up to 24/192 as well as DSD in 2.8 & 5.6 MHZ. It's almost as if you have two DACs in place but the HEOS is not processing the digital signals but is passing them through to the D150.

Not sure how you have it all hooked up but if you can, try connecting that D150 via USB to a PC with some digital music on it.[/QUO
Thanks for the response. Here is my setup- Heos optical>D150 balanced>c1100 balanced >601's. Cd player > D150 coaxial, TT > c1100 The only music I have downloaded is to Itunes so not very good files.

Guys, let me repeat: Tidal HIFI streams at 44/16 unless...

You choose a Master, aka MQA encoded album which provides "folded lossy" 96/24 or 192/24 content and your DAC has paid the price to license and include MQA.

Quobuz available in Europe and launching in the states next month offers true high resolution streaming.

So if I understand correctly, 44/16 like I have now is the best I can do unless I have some higher grade digital files or I get MQA licensed piece.

Guys, let me repeat: Tidal HIFI streams at 44/16 unless...

You choose a Master, aka MQA encoded album which provides "folded lossy" 96/24 or 192/24 content and your DAC has paid the price to license and include MQA.

Quobuz available in Europe and launching in the states next month offers true high resolution streaming.

If you have Tidal Masters the desktop app will unfold MQA to 24/96 and send that to any DAC. 24/192 requires compatible hardware.

Eric

So if I understand correctly, 44/16 like I have now is the best I can do unless I have some higher grade digital files or I get MQA licensed piece.

"Listening through your computer or laptop speakers, via its 3.5mm headphone output, or through a connected (non-MQA-enabled) DAC gives the Tidal desktop app the reigns over MQA’s core decoding, which has a limited output of 24-bit/96kHz. In other words, even if you’re streaming a 192kHz file, it’ll only be unpackaged to 96kHz."

https://www.whathifi.com/tidalmasters/review

Eric

If you have Tidal Masters the desktop app will unfold MQA to 24/96 and send that to any DAC. 24/192 requires compatible hardware.
If you recall, the poster uses a Denon HEOS which does not do even the first unfolding.

Last edited:
But why not stream Tidal from desktop to HEOS? USB? Optical?
As for me, I don't want a desktop even remotely close to my primary music systems. I use the desktop app for the office system, but that's it.

MQA is largely a solution in search of a problem. Just play true hi-rez files.

As for me, I don't want a desktop even remotely close to my primary music systems. I use the desktop app for the office system, but that's it.

MQA is largely a solution in search of a problem. Just play true hi-rez files.

Or, play whatever files you enjoy......? OP asked about Tidal resolution that's all.

Eric

I really was just wondering if I was getting the best resolution that I could get with the equipment i have and if it was hooked up the best way. The Heos is temporary (I got it from the downstairs house system to try out) until I decide what streamer to get.

Back
Top Bottom