My memorial to a fantastic ScFi Series: Firefly

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Straightened out My Firefly file. It saddens me to remember what the Fox Executives, who knew they excreted Chanel #5, did to this unique TV series.

The space Western was a popular published story arc in the 1950’s. One of the best in this style was Andre Norton (1912-2005) some of these books were written using her nom de plume’s “Andrew North”, and “Allen Weston” later these books were all re-published using her Andre Norton pen name. The first 2 books in the Beast Master series, Beast Master (1959), and Lord of Thunder (1962), The first 4 Time Trader Books. The Time Traders (1958), Galactic Derelict (1959), The Defiant Agents (1962), and Key Out of Time (1963). The books that most closely matches Firefly is the first 3 books of the Solar Queen series. These books were first published using her “Andrew North” moniker. They are story of the freetrader star ship the Solar Queen. Sargasso of Space (1955/1957), Plaque Ship (1956), and Voodoo Planet (1959).

As you know Firefly was cancelled even before all of the episodes aired and there is some debate about the proper order of episodes. I decided to go with Wikipedia’s listing.

Here is my Memorial. As Carl Sagan said. “This is all there was, and all there will ever be”. :oops:
5C799088-D285-4A69-BBED-A0DA3E88131D.jpeg

Last edited:
S1E11 “Trash”
This episode has one of the best openings I have ever seen period. With the line "Yeah… that went well." we find out how Captain "Mal" Reynolds ends up sitting buck naked on a rock in the middle of a desert.

D2648995-B66B-4CFC-902C-CC989653B29D.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, I really liked Firefly too, 2002-03, but its been over 15 years since it aired.
You got closure with the movie Serenity in 2005.
Like fireflies in the summer - its time to let it go!

Go outside, enjoy the weather -
check out other movies and TV -
find something else to amuse yourself with ...
But Firefly was 1 season and done - gone, finito!

My significant other never got into Sci-fi until we watched Firefly - we powered through the whole thing on a long weekend marathon bing watch. I'll never forget it ... it was one of the best HT experiences I have ever had and she was right next to me. Kinda glad they didn't milk it to death ...

The Expanse renewed my faith in serialised sci-fi.

The new BSG definitely had its moments, but got too caught up with politics and love-stories IMO.

The Expanse was a bit rough in places in season 1, but by 2 and 3 had really hit its stride. I was really impressed with it.

Yes, I am struggling to stay with Battlestar Galactica right now - a friend loaned me the whole series on BluRay -
just starting Season 2 - but it feels stretched out in too many places -

Yes, I am struggling to stay with Battlestar Galactica right now - a friend loaned me the whole series on BluRay -
just starting Season 2 - but it feels stretched out in too many places -
Is this the first series with the Lorene Greene, William Adama (1978) or the 2nd one with Edward J. Olmos, as William Adama (2009)

The first one petered away, and the 2nd one got too tedious to watch.

The first? We don't talk about the first ...
This is the reboot with Olmos and the female Starbuck, etc - Cylons got religion ...
I'm ready to bail, my wife wants to stick with it ...
Its no Expanse or Altered Carbon, thats for sure!

Is this the first series with the Lorene Greene, William Adama (1978) or the 2nd one with Edward J. Olmos, as William Adama (2009)

The first one petered away, and the 2nd one got too tedious to watch.

The first? We don't talk about the first ...
This is the reboot with Olmos and the female Starbuck, etc - Cylons got religion ...
I'm ready to bail, my wife wants to stick with it ...
Its no Expanse or Altered Carbon, thats for sure!
Try the Caprica series, the prequil to BSG. It does not drag on.

You watched Caprica before BSG2?
I liked Caprica and enjoyed BSG2 even more.

I saw a couple early episodes of (the new) Battlestar Galactica when it first aired and just wasn't pulled in ...
It combines some old idea - there was an 60s story about Humans going to war against alien invaders
and finding the god of our ancestors, the one we had abandoned, was on the side of the aliens ...
(For I am a Jealous People - Lester Del Rey)

Its a cool idea for a story ... But BSG did not pull me in (Cylons finding God).

Somewhere around 2009 (I think) I saw Caprica and watched all of it as it aired, weekly on the SciFry channel ...
it was different, the 2 feuding families and mob activity were intriguing in science fiction storytelling ...

Last week a friend from Church loaned us her BlueRay BSG and we are watching it - its ok, but not stunning TV

IMO they are both really good TV. Caprica moved right along as the ratings early on were not good. So they seemed to move thinks along with less Baloney. I have the unrated movie on DVD and it is even better than the edited pilot they showed on TV. @hjames the last two seasons of BSG are better than the first two years. I won't spoil it for you as it moves faster and is even darker. If you have Amazon Prime and a 1080p TV it looks a lot better than the 720p it was originally broadcast in. Amazon Prime members can get the entire series in full 1080p.

Last edited:
Like I say, we are watching the whole thing on Bluray disc - via Oppo BDP-105D in 1080p on a 68" Aquos HDTV,
with real nice speakers and sub. Currently on disc 2 of Season 2

IMO they are both really good TV. Caprica moved right along as the ratings early on were not good. So they seemed to move thinks along with less Baloney. I have the unrated movie on DVD and it is even better than the edited pilot they showed on TV. @hjames the last two seasons of BSG are better than the first two years. I won't spoil it for you as it moves faster and is even darker. If you have Amazon Prime and a 1080p TV it looks a lot better than the 720p it was originally broadcast in. Amazon Prime members can get the entire series in full 1080p.

Back
Top Bottom