Would you give up your vintage Pioneer receiver for one of these?

70'sMusic

Hi Everyone,

We all love our old Pioneer receivers and they are amazing pieces of equipment. The fact that they are working and sounding great after 40+ years is a testament to their build quality. But, would you part with your SX for one of these? I really like my SX-1250 but I might give it up for one of these.

McIntosh MA 7200 receiver
https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/receivers/MAC7200

Attachments

• g958MAC7200-F.jpg
    g958MAC7200-F.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 217
  • mcintosh-mac7200-rear.jpg
    mcintosh-mac7200-rear.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 194
LOL - I know I'm comparing apples to oranges. But, you have to admit that there is something really special about these beasts.

Attachments

• 4048aa93d6fe8de1c21204e15b526113.jpg
    4048aa93d6fe8de1c21204e15b526113.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 98
I’m sure that McIntosh receiver is outstanding but aesthetically I find it somehow awkward.
The power meters are in a way cool but in another way a bit of a cliche.
Lucky for me I can’t afford it and am spared from having my opinion count in any meaningful way.

The MAC7200 is really more of an integrated amplifier with a built in tuner module. The MA6600 integrated amplifier from around 2009 could be had with or without the tuner module (TM-2 IIRC) effectively turning it into a receiver. This was later replaced by the MAC6700 (receiver), which again was replaced by the MAC7200.

The TM-2 module could also be added to the MR85 tuner for the ability to listen to two separate stations for multi-room setups. Not all owners were satisfied with the McIntosh "chip" tuners and some wound up going back to a true standalone tuner. YMMV.

The MAC7200 is really more of an integrated amplifier with a built in tuner module. The MA6600 integrated amplifier from around 2009 could be had with or without the tuner module (TM-2 IIRC) effectively turning it into a receiver. This was later replaced by the MAC6700 (receiver), which again was replaced by the MAC7200.

The TM-2 module could also be added to the MR85 tuner for the ability to listen to two separate stations for multi-room setups.
Everyone has a computer, there isn't a need for a tuner anymore Caddy.

Plug your computer into the MA 7200 and the whole world opens up.

Only have one receiver an SX1010 from my father in law when he passed, it sits unused, I've never owned one no reason to start now.

Only have one receiver an SX1010 from my father in law when he passed, it sits unused, I've never owned one no reason to start now.

Perhaps sell it to someone who will enjoy it?? Or maybe you're keeping for nostalgia??

Hell, I'd trade every single Pioneer SX I have for that(at the moment, 2 restored, a 1010 and a 1250) for that McIntosh, tho I agree it is not laid out effectively. Looks.......clumsy?

Perhaps sell it to someone who will enjoy it?? Or maybe you're keeping for nostalgia??

Hell, I'd trade every single Pioneer SX I have for that(at the moment, 2 restored, a 1010 and a 1250) for that McIntosh, tho I agree it is not laid out effectively. Looks.......clumsy?

It belonged to my wife's father, hard to part with it, I had it set up for her.

It belonged to my wife's father, hard to part with it, I had it set up for her.

That's cool. Great solace in music for those missing a loved one.

For me, the main limitation with my own 1010 is how the loudness ON is too much, and without, it's too little. Cannot seem to find a happy medium. I usually eschew tone controls/loudness.

A tuner in every room in my house......Tuner city!! I disagree with this statement respectfully.

I have no interest in this type of McIntosh product though, I'd rather have my Sansui's and Pioneers for receivers....

That's cool. Great solace in music for those missing a loved one.

For me, the main limitation with my own 1010 is how the loudness ON is too much, and without, it's too little. Cannot seem to find a happy medium. I usually eschew tone controls/loudness.

Hmm, plenty of bass when I had mine connected to the Infinitys, no loudness needed. Maybe speaker placement wasn't optimal.

I guess you've never owned a TX-9500 Mk II. No computer can bring radio to life like one of those, but in saying that all the analogue tuners will become doors stops once digital radio takes over totally.

With all the choices.....why get stuck with vanilla ? It’s an easy enough fix to pay for a high quality product, but it’s not the best sound in the house.

Back
Top Bottom