Unsurpassed Master Guitarist Playlist

My apologies for not posting an example.

I been playing 30 years or so. I shot out of the gate, determined to be a "shredder" as I was 15 and it was the '80's. I got a few "stunt guitar" licks under my belt, but when I first heard this guy in 1990, I said, and I quote, "****it." This was an avenue that had reached its end. No point pursuing "fast" any longer.

This guy took speed to a level that is still unsurpassed. @Mystic, I will take your John McLaughlin (I have that "electric guitarist" album you mention, what a ride!) and raise you Shawn Lane.

Here he is, crappy audio and a total wankfest at NAMM, but watch as this room of badasses acknowledge that Shawn is on another level.

The madness begins around 5:25. Paul Gilbert HUMS into his microphonic pickup. NOBODY wanted to follow Shawn.

When you're done laughing at how ridiculous that was, be prepared to shed a tear. Shawn got bored with 12 tones, so he went to India to learn their 24 tone system.

Apparently, he did THAT well, too. The two guys in the front smiling and laughing?? Those are Indian music masters themselves, tho I cannot recall their name.

This was complete improvisation, and simply beautiful.

My apologies for not posting an example.

I been playing 30 years or so. I shot out of the gate, determined to be a "shredder" as I was 15 and it was the '80's. I got a few "stunt guitar" licks under my belt, but when I first heard this guy in 1990, I said, and I quote, "****it." This was an avenue that had reached its end. No point pursuing "fast" any longer.

This guy took speed to a level that is still unsurpassed. @Mystic, I will take your John McLaughlin (I have that "electric guitarist" album you mention, what a ride!) and raise you Shawn Lane.

Here he is, crappy audio and a total wankfest at NAMM, but watch as this room of badasses acknowledge that Shawn is on another level.

The madness begins around 5:25. Paul Gilbert HUMS into his microphonic pickup. NOBODY wanted to follow Shawn.

When you're done laughing at how ridiculous that was, be prepared to shed a tear. Shawn got bored with 12 tones, so he went to India to learn their 24 tone system.

Apparently, he did THAT well, too. The two guys in the front smiling and laughing?? Those are Indian music masters themselves, tho I cannot recall their name.

This was complete improvisation, and simply beautiful.

Shawn Lane, yes, I'm well acquainted with him and yes, he sure can rip and @ a somewhat unbelievable rate. But @ times the geetarist whose chops still amaze me the most might be twenty beats per second all downstroke rhythm geetar technique of one "Johnny Ramone". Geeze, I have experienced enough trouble keeping up w/ The Ramones using up and downstrokes and that guy did it w/ downstrokes exclusively. Also unbelievable, but go to Utoob, catch some "live" Ramones, see johnny in action and it's so: downstrokes exclusively for all of his chord work.

Is there a way I can I see what you've been listening to? Am I missing something??

In the Music Forums @ AK many of us list what we're currently listning to ,@ the various "Today's X Playlist" threads. I'm sure I listed the Metallica (Seattle, 1989) show I was listening to @ the time of our previoous exchange @ the Today's METAL Playlist thread. (of course this was yesterday -- Saturday -- @ around noon-2pm US Central Time)

Anyway,back to "downstroke" rhythm players: while I knew that James H. was big on powerful downstrokes @ key points in certain numbers, I wasn't aware that he, like Johnny Ramone, used downstrokes exclusively. I'll have to dial up some Metallica video and have a close(r) watch @ his technique.

@Mystic, James has stated that he simply always did the downstroke thing, but I am uncertain. Some of that stuff would seem physically impossible in ONLY downstrokes. Scott Ian also tries to use all downstrokes when tempo allows.

@Mystic, James has stated that he simply always did the downstroke thing, but I am uncertain. Some of that stuff would seem physically impossible in ONLY downstrokes. Scott Ian also tries to use all downstrokes when tempo allows.

My reaction exaclty when I read (in multiple sources reports by critics and Ramones bans members) of Johnny R's "downstrokes only" technique. I have examined a lot of Ramones (live) video footage and gotta say I have yet to see one @ which he strummed a chord "up", and @ breakneck speeds @ some Ramones numbers.

I'm going to say George Thorogood qualifies.
The 1st time I saw/heard him I thought he was bad to the bone and this many years later, I still do.

My reaction exaclty when I read (in multiple sources reports by critics and Ramones bans members) of Johnny R's "downstrokes only" technique. I have examined a lot of Ramones (live) video footage and gotta say I have yet to see one @ which he strummed a chord "up", and @ breakneck speeds @ some Ramones numbers.
I need to ask, was Eddie Hazel up for the down stroke?

Back
Top Bottom