Who's using a Mac digital preamp (D100/D150)?

techguy0192

Listen to the whistle of the evenin' train
Subscriber
I'd like to get some feedback from members here using the D100 or D150 as a preamp. In in the past 12 months I've gone all digital with my sources. With that said, I'm not sure how I feel about not having any analog inputs. However, given the direction I've gone, I feel like a digital preamp would be the best option. Thoughts?

I had one of the first D100s out of the factory and used it strictly as a DAC into an MA6600. I was very happy with that setup - the D100 worked perfectly and sounded fantastic. I never actually used it as a preamp, but I'm sure many here have and will chime in soon.

A few years ago I traded the D100 and MA6600 for a new C52 which has also been excellent.

-Matt

I use a D100 as a DAC only, for which it does a very good job.

You have 5 total digital inputs available to you on the D100 - Two optical, two coaxial and one USB. Outputs are 2-channel only with one pair of fixed audio unbalanced RCA, one pair of variable audio balanced XLR and one pair of fixed audio balanced XLR. The D150 provides the same outputs and adds a DIN connection for use with newer McIntosh CD players. The D150 also differs from the D100 in that it has DSD decoding capability.

If you only have 5 sources either would do a fine job, IMHO.

I'm really on the fence about a D150 myself . . .

If I were going to adopt DSD then my first choice is a D150. However, some of my sources are not digital so I'd have to pass on it being my only pre-amp.

If I were going to adopt DSD then my first choice is a D150. However, some of my sources are not digital so I'd have to pass on it being my only pre-amp.
I'd just connect it to the Line 2 input of the C200 via XLR. The problem is that it has no HDMI inputs - so yeah, that's why I haven't bought one already. Now I remember . . .

I'm pleased with both of my D100's. I use one as a dac only and the other as a dac-pre to drive my rotation amps. I think they're excellent performers in either configuration.

I'm really on the fence about a D150 myself . . .

Yeah....I think it they had just a single pair of analog inputs, I wouldn't be on the fence. Then of course it wouldn't be a digital preamp anymore. I think it's a mental roadblock with not having any RCA/XLR inputs.

I'v had my D100 for years and love it. I have never had any issues but also only use it as a DAC.

It seems to me with your comments your having a hard time giving up analogue inputs in the first place. You can still get a 100 or 150 and use it with your current preamp and have the best of all worlds. You can also pull the analogue preamp out and see if you miss it.

Personally I like options..

Try the MAC3. Does have analog input.
It’s more like a marketing decision to up sell preamps likes c48, c52 etc.
No more analog sources for me. The TT will go through MP100

Try the MAC3. Does have analog input.

Not interested in a home theater controller with a 20 year old DAC section. But yes, they do go for cheap these days and could be a great entry point.

Last edited:
My main system is all digital and I'm using a D100 as the preamp. Very happy with it!

8nLMdUs.jpg

eWDqOyI

I have toyed with the idea also, I think I could give up the TT in that system, but not the MR85. It just looks and sounds too good.
Is there a simple analog to digital converter ? Hmmm .

I've been using a D100 since 2013 and it has worked flawlessly. I'm very happy with it, but I'm using it only as a DAC.
I've read mixed reviews about it being used as a preamp, and I've never tried it as such. It's only my impression from what I've read but I suspect the D100 is a much better DAC than a preamp.

Back
Top Bottom