BillyBatts

ALOHA!
Aloha!

A few of us were talking about wet shaving. I didn't see a shaving thread. Apologies if I missed it.

I've been into wet shaving for decades and personally collect and use STRAIGHT RAZORS. I hone, strop and recondition these and have a collection of about 20 or so.

I also use Double Edge razors and blades. I have a collection of these as well. And of course I have a very large collection of shaving soap, brushes, honing stones, strops, aftershaves, and colognes.

For some, the art of shaving is a passion. To others, it a Zen experience. I personally enjoy the process, experimenting with different blades, soaps, aftershaves and balms. I have a Kloss Model 88 stereo table radio in my shaving den because I love to listen to Jazz while grooming the face. Others like silence.

Anyone else here into wet shaving? Care to share anything?

A portion of my shaving den, and some pics of my straight razors;

IMG_20170626_184954.jpg

IMG_20170715_151142.jpg

IMG_20170809_091559.jpg

IMG_20170802_095255.jpg

IMG_20170804_100846.jpg

IMG_20170620_161950.jpg

Here is my wimpy shave den compared to BillyBatts! :p Taylors of Old Bond Street (TOBS) products are just amazing. The smoothness they provide is better than my Speik cream but not by much. Still have to try Cedarwood and Grapefruit. Highly recommended.

imageedit_1_4658470444.jpg

Aloha!

A few of us were talking about wet shaving. I didn't see a shaving thread. Apologies if I missed it.

I've been into wet shaving for decades and personally collect and use STRAIGHT RAZORS. I hone, strop and recondition these and have a collection of about 20 or so.

I also use Double Edge razors and blades. I have a collection of these as well. And of course I have a very large collection of shaving soap, brushes, honing stones, strops, aftershaves, and colognes.

For some, the art of shaving is a passion. To others, it a Zen experience. I personally enjoy the process, experimenting with different blades, soaps, aftershaves and balms. I have a Kloss Model 88 stereo table radio in my shaving den because I love to listen to Jazz while grooming the face. Others like silence.

Anyone else here into wet shaving? Care to share anything?

A portion of my shaving den, and some pics of my straight razors;

IMG_20170626_184954.jpg

IMG_20170715_151142.jpg

IMG_20170809_091559.jpg

IMG_20170802_095255.jpg

IMG_20170804_100846.jpg

IMG_20170620_161950.jpg

I still have yet to try any Proraso products. On the purchase list next time around.

Here is my wimpy shave den compared to BillyBatts! :p Taylors of Old Bond Street (TOBS) products are just amazing. The smoothness they provide is better than my Speik cream but not by much. Still have to try Cedarwood and Grapefruit. Highly recommended.

View attachment 1295993

Hey Z, TOBS products ARE AMAZING! I have a few in my collection. And there is no such thing as a wimply shave den. Your's looks fine to me.

I was recently at Pasteur's Pharmacy in New York City. This is the MECA of wet shaving. It's packed with goodies, and I purchased quite a few;

IMG_0020.jpg

MY HAUL from Pasteur's;
IMG_0021.jpg

WHAT you see INSIDE Pasteur's (AMAZING);
IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0012_1.jpg

It's wet shaving Nirvana - row after row of tightly packed shaving accessories, razors, strops, soaps, creams, whatever you can imagine.

Those straight razors look really cool but I'd be scared to death to try one! :yikes:

Actually, if you have the right angle, and the lather prepared and applied correctly, chances of cutting yourself are very slim. You let the razor glide (with the right angle) across the face and let the razor do the work. No pushing, pulling, or forcing. ANGLE and letting the razor do the work are KEY. Of course, the razor itself needs to be properly SHARPENED (Honed) and Strapped (Stropped). If you have these things in order, the shave you will get can be amazing. I can go two days with a very close straight razor shave.

Our grandfathers, and their fathers and their fathers before them were masters of the Straight razor. It's not that hard. It just takes practice.

A great first tutorial of straight razor wet shaving;

Last edited:
Hey Z, TOBS products ARE AMAZING! I have a few in my collection. And there is no such thing as a wimply shave den. Your's looks fine to me.

I was recently at Pasteur's Pharmacy in New York City. This is the MECA of wet shaving. It's packed with goodies, and I purchased quite a few;

IMG_0020.jpg

MY HAUL from Pasteur's;
IMG_0021.jpg

WHAT you see INSIDE Pasteur's (AMAZING);
IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0012_1.jpg

It's wet shaving Nirvana - row after row of tightly packed shaving accessories, razors, strops, soaps, creams, whatever you can imagine.

Let's just say, I'm glad I don't live close to this place. Amazing.

I still have yet to try any Proraso products. On the purchase list next time around.

Z:

I must say I LOVE Proraso. This is the Barbasol of Italy, but man, they make an incredible product. If I had to just choose ONE product line, it would probably be Proraso. In Italy, Proraso shaving products are as common as Gillette blades are here.

I wrote the owner in Italy about how I loved her product, (she's the grand daughter of the founder) and she sent me this amazing Proraso gift set as a thank you for telling her how wonderful I thought Proraso products were;

IMG_20170710_151119.jpg

IMG_20170710_151153.jpg

And so you don't think it's only straight razors - here is some Proraso action with my Jagger DE89 Double Edge (Feather Blade);

IMG_20170810_144157.jpg

Z:

I must say I LOVE Proraso. This is the Barbasol of Italy, but man, they make an incredible product. If I had to just choose ONE product line, it would probably be Proraso. In Italy, Proraso shaving products are as common as Gillette blades are here.

I wrote the owner in Italy about how I loved her product, (she's the grand daughter of the founder) and she sent me this amazing Proraso gift set as a thank you for telling her how wonderful I thought Proraso products were;

IMG_20170710_151119.jpg

IMG_20170710_151153.jpg

And so you don't think it's only straight razors - here is some Proraso action with my Jagger DE89 Double Edge (Feather Blade);

IMG_20170810_144157.jpg

That is so cool she sent that to you. I wish that I didn't have to order all of my shaving products online. Okay, I'm psyched to try some Proraso stuff.

WOW......I had no idea people actually enjoy shaving!!! For me next to going to work it's more than likely my least favorite thing in life to do. A beard doesn't work for me so I look at shaving as a necessary evil.

Start wet shaving! I can almost guarantee it will turn into an enjoyable ritual for you. A nice shave will always refresh the man spirit in you! :smoke:

I love this dude...has a bad ass shave den. A Burt Reynolds Tribute Shave...

AWESOME. I've been watching shaving vids for a very long time but didn't see that one. I know Kensurf's Videos, but never say the Burt Reynolds Tribute Shave. Nice. Mahalo Z!

I enjoy my shaving gig too. Some quality soaps, creams and a quality badger brush. Add a couple of Gillette fat boys and a Merkur Slant loaded with feather blades. Watch out. Looking and feeling as good as Burt!

Hey, a Gillette Fat Boy is to many wet shavers the cornerstone of their DE (Double Edge) razors. I have one. They are still available (as you know) on eBay. Those are such classic DE Razors. Very nice.

That is so cool she sent that to you. I wish that I didn't have to order all of my shaving products online. Okay, I'm psyched to try some Proraso stuff.

Start wet shaving! I can almost guarantee it will turn into an enjoyable ritual for you. A nice shave will always refresh the man spirit in you! :smoke:

I could not have said it any better my good man. :thumbsup:

Some of my wet shaving larder. I really love Feather Blades, but I think Lord Blades are just as good and a bit smoother. I buy them from Pasteur's Pharmacy in NYC, but I'm sure you can get them on eBay and Amazon. Bolzano are also excellent as are SuperMax Blue DIamond Titanium. I have more than pictured here, but it's thrown in the under-sink cabinet and does not photograph well. :)

IMG_20181003_181225.jpg

Some Straight Razors ready for action, as well as my favorite brushes. Boar, Synthetic, Badger and Horsehair;

IMG_20181003_181459.jpg

I loathe having to shave and want to spend the minimum amount of time doing it. Bought a higher end Panasonic electric shaver and haven't looked back. 200 bucks for a good shaver once saves a lot of dough and time.

Back
Top Bottom