Morinized AR XA Cartridge/Sytylus Recomendations ?

SonofJames

My AR XA gets dropped off to Marc this weekend. Looking for some ideas for Cartridge/Stylus.

I listen to jazz, vocals, rock, electronic. I like a warm, full, 3D, presentation.

I can get a Older Grado ZF3 pretty cheap, and thought about a Black2 or 8MZ Stylus.

There is the Grado Prestige Black2 @ $75 new

I have read Shure's are great trackers and are on the slightly warm, musical side.

Open to thoughts and ideas. Thanks!

Last edited:
Anything sounds good I bet on a MM AR-XA !!!!!

I had a Denon DL-110, a Sumiko Blue Point special EVO III, a Shure M75, an Adcom XC-LT and now doinf excusive duties are my Acutex M 312 carts, go between the LPM and older Bricks.

All sound great on them but I'm an Acutex Tri-Pole fanboy and am biased towards them, But I do rememeber really liking the DL-110 on it before I added the Jewel bearings and Mass to the chassis.
I need to revisit all those on the arm after the upgrades.

Many like Shures and Grados on these so I'll let them chime in. never heard a Grado so I may need to get one......of the older styles .

nashou

I've run a wide range of cartridges on my XB including: Shure M91ED with SAS stylus, Ortofon 2M Blue, Grado G1+ with MCZ stylus (loaded at 10k ohms), Ortofon Quintet Bronze and lastly a Shelter 501 II. The Shelter is my favorite but all the others, except possibly the 2M Blue were really nice. Marc's modified AR tonearms are capable of handling just about any cartridge based upon your current and future budget.

My fully marmorinized XB has the Technics arm wand mod.

Top 3 lately.

Grado is a good choice. Try to find a Signature series body and then add the 8MZ or MCZ stylus.

I am running a Stanton 681EEE on it and it is great.

For new buys the Nagaoka MP 200 sounds great on it.

All three have great midrange and very full bass. The Grado soundstage is quite impressive. The Nag has great detail too.

The Denon DL 110 does not compete well with the above three on this table/arm IMO.

I was less impressed with Shure V15-III, I like it much better on my lower mass SME arm.

The Denon 301 mk II moving coil sounds great too but took a lot of work to dial in (no VTA adjust).

I've run a wide range of cartridges on my XB including: Shure M91ED with SAS stylus, Ortofon 2M Blue, Grado G1+ with MCZ stylus (loaded at 10k ohms), Ortofon Quintet Bronze and lastly a Shelter 501 II. The Shelter is my favorite but all the others, except possibly the 2M Blue were really nice. Marc's modified AR tonearms are capable of handling just about any cartridge based upon your current and future budget.

What did you think of the Ortofon Bronze? As well the Grado G1 + MCZ stylus? Thanks!

What did you think of the Ortofon Bronze? As well the Grado G1 + MCZ stylus? Thanks!

Both the Quintet Bronze and the G1+/MCZ are very nice. I've recently been running the Quintet on my other TT and I think it likes a little the heavier Jelco tonearm but was just fine on the XB. It did require a heavier counterweight. The Grado combo is pretty lush but it has been some time since I used it. @mkane has much more recent experience with his Grado/XA. Sounds like he likes his Grado.

Edit: Almost forgot - Welcome to Audio Karma!

Both the Quintet Bronze and the G1+/MCZ are very nice. I've recently been running the Quintet on my other TT and I think it likes a little the heavier Jelco tonearm but was just fine on the XB. It did require a heavier counterweight. The Grado combo is pretty lush but it has been some time since I used it. @mkane has much more recent experience with his Grado/XA. Sounds like he likes his Grado.

Edit: Almost forgot - Welcome to Audio Karma!

Thanks, I’ll be sure to post some pictures when Marc is done with the AR. Larry Spence is building the base with tiger maple and building the unit an inch taller than the stock base unit. Marc has stated that this will allow him to build weights 1/2 further below the subchassis than he does on a stock height base.

Thanks, I’ll be sure to post some pictures when Marc is done with the AR. Larry Spence is building the base with tiger maple and building the unit an inch taller than the stock base unit. Marc has stated that this will allow him to build weights 1/2 further below the subchassis than he does on a stock height base.

Well, you have the "A" team working on your AR that is for sure and please share some photos when it is finished. FYI, Larry also makes the heavier counter weight which is nice to have just in case you want to use a heavier (approximately 10gr) cartridge. When I made bases for XAs and XBs they were all 4" tall to accommodate Marc's sub chassis mass loading plus I like the look of the taller base. You didn't say, but do you have an XA or XB?

Well, you have the "A" team working on your AR that is for sure and please share some photos when it is finished. FYI, Larry also makes the heavier counter weight which is nice to have just in case you want to use a heavier (approximately 10gr) cartridge. When I made bases for XAs and XBs they were all 4" tall to accommodate Marc's sub chassis mass loading plus I like the look of the taller base. You didn't say, but do you have an XA or XB?
I have an XA. But it came with a great cue. I have another AR XA and I’m thinking about doing that one as well Marc & Larry have been very generous with their time and attention to detail. Again can’t wait to get the upgraded AR. It will replace my green UTurn turntable. Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom