I Regressed And Bought A New Watch

Introduce a battery to a watch and all of a sudden, it loses heritage, market position, and value. COSC cert is a joke compared to what your Bulova can do. Even the Superlative Chronometer standard in Rolex is good for only 2 spd. Old tech mechanical is one of those wondrous outcomes only possible in the watch world.

Yep. Think cable threads get crazy here? Try a quartz vs mechanical thread on Watchuseek.com. They make us look tame.

One thing that got me out of the watch hobby was the fact that one can't do anything with a watch, except look at it. People start threads about what watch to wear to a movie or BBQ! WTF really? Like anyone cares.

I like watches as interesting jewelry but all in all, it is a pretty boring hobby.

One thing I was pleasantly surprised with was that the lume is as good as my Seiko divers......high praise indeed.

Yep. Think cable threads get crazy here? Try a quartz vs mechanical thread on Watchuseek.com. They make us look tame.

One thing that got me out of the watch hobby was the fact that one can't do anything with a watch, except look at it. People start threads about what watch to wear to a movie or BBQ! WTF really? Like anyone cares.

I like watches as interesting jewelry but all in all, it is a pretty boring hobby.

Yes, yes, and yes. I just joined WUS. Discussion is a whole lot more gentile but you are right, there is not a lot to discuss. And there really isn't a path to building a killer collection, like I did with audio. It would seem that constant and low level depreciation is an accepted part of the hobby. Contrast that with the appreciation we enjoy with vintage audio and it would seem watches are a dead end pursuit. And yet, they are cool and easy to manage. All of mine will fit in a shoe box. My audio takes up a room and then some. Anyways, I'm still on the hunt for more play watches like a white on white sterile Roller and a solid bronze sport watch.

I cheaped out;thirty buck Canadian on Amazon.It has survived since July,which is almost a record for me:)

INFANTRY-Mens-Analogue-Quartz-Wrist-Watch-Date-Day-Lume-Sport-Black-Nylon-Strap-0-0.jpg

Yes, yes, and yes. I just joined WUS. Discussion is a whole lot more gentile but you are right, there is not a lot to discuss. And there really isn't a path to building a killer collection, like I did with audio. It would seem that constant and low level depreciation is an accepted part of the hobby. Contrast that with the appreciation we enjoy with vintage audio and it would seem watches are a dead end pursuit. And yet, they are cool and easy to manage. All of mine will fit in a shoe box. My audio takes up a room and then some. Anyways, I'm still on the hunt for more play watches like a white on white sterile Roller and a solid bronze sport watch.

There are some nice folks at WUS but many more assholes I found. The snobbery is astounding at times and the owners of the site do not let anything bad about the sponsors to be posted There was one sponsor that had a run of watches that was defective and there was quite a bit of talk about it when the Mods hopped in and told everybody that nothing negative would be allowed about that brand. That was the final straw for me. I started another thread about that same sponsor and how they still owed a lot of us money for refunds that we never got. I had over 70 responses from other members noting how we were being ripped off. That day almost 40 people were banned for posting on that thread along with me. At that point I had sold most of my watches and I KNEW that if I started a new thread, they would boot me.......but I wanted people to know what was happening. So I was rather pleased that I went out with a bang.

Just like on here, the most active forums are the ones where the Average Joe's hang out. But there is only so much stuff that can be said about watches. A new member if they are really curious and into it, can last about six months before burning out. I lasted about almost two years but when I found AK, I was gone in a heartbeat. It was all so silly.....I means how many threads can you read about your favorite day/date complication? Or guys that publish their logs on how accurate their watches are.

When I left WUS the bronze watch thing was really huge, as is anything new over there. I saw a lot of guys putting the cases in vinegar to age them quicker.......Then they would start a thread about if they should wear it to a garden party, seriously. The biggest thing that used to drive me crazy was guys starting threads about a watch they could wear in the shower! I would ask "why would anybody want to wear a watch in a shower?". Then they would complain to the Mods and I would get warned about being negative. You cant make this stuff up! Since there is so little to talk about after a while the start threads like "Big Crown Thursday" and have people post pics of watches with big crowns...............good luck over there!

I cheaped out;thirty buck Canadian on Amazon.It has survived since July,which is almost a record for me:)

INFANTRY-Mens-Analogue-Quartz-Wrist-Watch-Date-Day-Lume-Sport-Black-Nylon-Strap-0-0.jpg

I bought one of those! A good looking watch. Mine lasted a few months then the hands fell off. I also bought a diver from them. The magnifier over the date was in the wrong place and they mispelled another word on the dial.......it was comical. I am impressed that yours is lasting that long!

There are some nice folks at WUS but many more assholes I found. The snobbery is astounding at times and the owners of the site do not let anything bad about the sponsors to be posted There was one sponsor that had a run of watches that was defective and there was quite a bit of talk about it when the Mods hopped in and told everybody that nothing negative would be allowed about that brand. That was the final straw for me. I started another thread about that same sponsor and how they still owed a lot of us money for refunds that we never got. I had over 70 responses from other members noting how we were being ripped off. That day almost 40 people were banned for posting on that thread along with me. At that point I had sold most of my watches and I KNEW that if I started a new thread, they would boot me.......but I wanted people to know what was happening. So I was rather pleased that I went out with a bang.

Just like on here, the most active forums are the ones where the Average Joe's hang out. But there is only so much stuff that can be said about watches. A new member if they are really curious and into it, can last about six months before burning out. I lasted about almost two years but when I found AK, I was gone in a heartbeat. It was all so silly.....I means how many threads can you read about your favorite day/date complication? Or guys that publish their logs on how accurate their watches are.

When I left WUS the bronze watch thing was really huge, as is anything new over there. I saw a lot of guys putting the cases in vinegar to age them quicker.......Then they would start a thread about if they should wear it to a garden party, seriously. The biggest thing that used to drive me crazy was guys starting threads about a watch they could wear in the shower! I would ask "why would anybody want to wear a watch in a shower?". Then they would complain to the Mods and I would get warned about being negative. You cant make this stuff up! Since there is so little to talk about after a while the start threads like "Big Crown Thursday" and have people post pics of watches with big crowns...............good luck over there!

WUS is beholden to the retailers. That's sad. I suppose retailer attempts to shape opinion are a fact of life in all forums, even here at good ole AK. (To the credit of our audio keepers, they maintain independence and are not beholden to the retailers.) I've already seen plenty of stupid over there. There is a new member asking to authenticate a watch in an ebay listing. It was authenticated genuine by a dufus with other 13,000 posts and a screen name HOROLOGIST (all caps, not a joke). I looked at the movement and was able to determine that it was a high quality rep. Even found the factory where it was made and shared the link. The new member agreed that it looked like the rep movement and incredibly, he went on to say that the ebay listing was his listing. The rep factory will sell you the same watch for $400 and he is trying to get $6,995 on ebay. I'm not sure who is more stupid (stupider?). An idiot who screams he is an expert and authenticates a rep or an ebayer admitting he is selling the rep. BTW, the ebay listing is still active.

Yeah, the fan boy stuff is plain silly. I'm not going to get into the shower wearing, steering wheel art, wrist p*rn discussions because after all, it's only a watch. And I get the feeling that watches as a topic is easily mastered and that there is only so far to go until the interesting models are all gone. Sadly, there is no path to building a watch collection so flippering will not be possible. That is half the fun of audio. In fact, I am told to expect constant depreciation which makes holding mid level luxury watches a losing proposition. That's not acceptable unless it is a daily wearer. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy a nice watch and in addition to my gaggle of Chinese watches, I'll have one or two decent watches. But there is a limit to what I will do and that means watches will run its course.

Im really liking my Invicta on page 10 even though my left arm is 1 inch larger than my right now!My vostok on page 2 keeps fantastic time as long as I wind it daily.Try explaining to a millennial what winding a watch means,lol,

But there is a limit to what I will do and that means watches will run its course.

Yep, one theme I saw over and over on WUS was people coming on hot and heavy buying 10-20 watches right away. Then after getting them they burn out really quick. I was that way but I lasted longer than most because I bought a lot of extra straps and bracelets and sold them to local small jewelers that were too lazy to buy them on eBay like I was doing. I would sell at $15 solid link oyster bracelet to them for $30 and they would charge $75 or more. I made a bit of money but just got tired of it. I have TONS of straps and links and parts watches etc. I did teach myself to change batteries because I got tired of getting raped. Batteries are around $.50 ea on eBay and a jeweler charges $6-10 to replace them. I can do that and change straps and bracelets etc so when I get tired of something, I just change the strap and I have something newish......kind of how I do it with audio. I have a lot of speakers and amps etc and swap them out when I feel like something new.

Yep, one theme I saw over and over on WUS was people coming on hot and heavy buying 10-20 watches right away. Then after getting them they burn out really quick. I was that way but I lasted longer than most because I bought a lot of extra straps and bracelets and sold them to local small jewelers that were too lazy to buy them on eBay like I was doing. I would sell at $15 solid link oyster bracelet to them for $30 and they would charge $75 or more. I made a bit of money but just got tired of it. I have TONS of straps and links and parts watches etc. I did teach myself to change batteries because I got tired of getting raped. Batteries are around $.50 ea on eBay and a jeweler charges $6-10 to replace them. I can do that and change straps and bracelets etc so when I get tired of something, I just change the strap and I have something newish......kind of how I do it with audio. I have a lot of speakers and amps etc and swap them out when I feel like something new.

Selling straps would make a few bucks at a time but it will never add up to a nice luxury watch. The right Chinese watch landed here could make a few bucks as well but again, not worth the time or effort. So, no real path to a self-sustaining collection. I bought the case back tool from Harbor Freight for $6, lol. I got the $1 eyeglass repair kit from Dollar Tree for strap links and screw bars. Dollar Tree has watch batteries. I might get the case back / crystal press from Harbor for $13 but I will wait until I have a 20% off coupon. I did have to buy the tool to remove the screw back on the watches pictured above. It was $20 from China. I might get the Rolex screw back tool at some point. How's that for economy?

In 2012 my father got me a Citizen Ecodrivie B690, after I expressed interest in a Timex field style watch.

Earlier this year I bought a cellular Apple Watch. Once the honeymoon phase wore off I came to realize how much more I prefer just a regular time piece on my wrist.

Two weeks ago I bought a Casio A168 because it’s retro and cheap. I started doing more reading, wearing the Casio and the Citizen more, and wearing the Apple Watch less.

I just had a $1300 maintenance interval on the car with some annoyingly pricey wear and tear items. If it wasn’t for that I’d have discharged my Amazon cart right now.

The contents?
Casio Databank DNC-611-1D
Casio Duro dive watch MDV106-1A
Casio G Shock DW5600E-1V
And a bunch of NATO straps.

Trying to wait till at least another pay day to start buying :(

Bulova has starred making modern versions of its older watches like the one above. The older Presidents are a bit small but this new one is a perfect size with a beautiful solid link oyster and handsome clasp.

Nothing better to me than the classic Tuning Fork Logo.

20181006_142927.jpg 20181006_142913.jpg

Case back tools finally arrived. Panerai authenticated!

RlNXyqU.jpg

yzOTPVO.jpg

nYLDG3p.jpg

I found the ball "tool" to be almost useless.....at least for the watches I tried it on. I found the simple two prong adjustable tool to be the best. Some of the fancy tree prong were to big to use on smaller watches.

I found the Databank at a nearby Walmart .They had a few different styles of F91W and A168. I almost grabbed an all stainless steel World Time as well. Maybe next time.

Is this how a collection is born?

IMG_20181007_221551.jpg

I found the Databank at a nearby Walmart .They had a few different styles of F91W and A168. I almost grabbed an all stainless steel World Time as well. Maybe next time.

Is this how a collection is born?

View attachment 1299675
Looks like you're well on your way. Soon, you'll have several watches sitting near your bed, and be wearing one or more of them every day. Resistance is futile.......... ;)
-Adam
Is there such a thing as the Timex Borg?

Looks like you're well on your way. Soon, you'll have several watches sitting near your bed, and be wearing one or more of them every day. Resistance is futile.......... ;)
-Adam
Is there such a thing as the Timex Borg?

Oh dear, it's true. Time goes by so fast these days that I need something to remind me of its passage.

Back
Top Bottom