RS 4.5's

Infinity nutcase.
Since this would be a trade I think we can talk about it. I've got a guy in Houston TX that wants to trade his RS 4.5's for my 90's and 2B Infinity Speakers. For me having 2.5's it makes sense as I love these speakers and having those legend's would fit right in.

So I'm a bit curious how the midrange is on these big boys, there s a few of you here that have them so if you don't mind sharing your thoughts with me.

Jazz, got any extended days off, I could use a good road partner for this one. If the owner will meet us somewhere say a 2 dayer, I'll figure out how far each of us could go, get a hotel for the night then bogie back.

Last edited:
Wow, that would be quite a trade. Value wise it seems pretty even Steven depending on condition of all pairs. There’s was a pair for sale around here a few years ago at a used high fi shop. They are like having two refrigerators in your listening room. If I had a bigger place I would have bought them. I’m guessing you like the RS2.5 better than the IIb. I said it a few times here, going from the Watkins to the dual 10” drivers on the RS line of speakers was a step backwards. I wish they made the IIb with a single Watkins woofer and no freakin eq in the mix... The stout cabinet of the rs2.5 makes for a great, solid, fast bottom end. Two Watkins woofers, now that’s even better...Good luck with the trip, safe travels!
Jim

Actually I fired up the first 2B yesterday after replacing the binding post and fixing the previous owners ducked up mods and what a difference. The 2.5 all but disappeared except the bass. For just a quickie the 2B was way mo betah on the top end, bass was right and tight. I suspect where 2 opposing inductors leads had fused together really had dramatic effect on the sound. Just the one was Alive again.

I'm working on the second Speaker now, replacing the binding post and the lower potentiometer is either broken or separated in 1/2. Once fixed this may complicate things.

Ahh - the supposed midrange suckout. Can't say that I've heard it. Saxophones sound awesome. Vocals sound awesome. The only place that I heard less of anything was in the treble. Not as clear as I've heard since. I have gone through a lot of speakers (and heard alot more) since I've had my 4.5's and I'd dare say, to my ears, very few speakers play the midrange as musically as the 4.5's. I didn't say they were the most detailed, the clearest or the loudest. If what I read is true, using some of the newer upgraded EMIMS might make them even better.

4.5's are at least double what a 2.5 is. You need current and high dampening to really make them sign. Mine sounded best vertically biamped, not horizontally. But I think that was more amplifier specific.

Thanks Kurtgo, Jazz uses that exact same term. I'm not sure if I've ever heard it myself but I think he's tried to help me understand it.

I very much admire my 2.5's, we've had some downright magical moments so I can imagine how good those 4.5 are, just reading from the net that many of those reviewers ended up with them as they're reference speakers back then.

One thing for sure is the 2B's will be in excellent working order if we do make the trade and I'll be honored to own the 4.5's. This pair is in very good condition from what I can see, which makes it worth it cause I'm getting to the point I want to kickback and listen.

Actually I fired up the first 2B yesterday after replacing the binding post and fixing the previous owners ducked up mods and what a difference. The 2.5 all but disappeared except the bass. For just a quickie the 2B was way mo betah on the top end, bass was right and tight. I suspect where 2 opposing inductors leads had fused together really had dramatic effect on the sound. Just the one was Alive again.

I'm working on the second Speaker now, replacing the binding post and the lower potentiometer is either broken or separated in 1/2. Once fixed this may complicate things.

too bad you didn't change one, and keep the other the same, then switch the pre to mono, and A/B the changed vs unchanged 2B for a while simply by using the balance knob... not to be captain hindsight.

Ah well. I'm thrilled your 2b is finally giving you what I hear from mine, while I have no beef with the bass, even without the bass circuit, (I spend a good amount of time playing from my 'other' amp on the switcher, the lepai 7498 and the 2b's have great bass on their own) the bass of the 2.5 was better in your place, in my opinion. I don't think I heard the 2b with the bass eq in the circuit.

Swapping a pair of 2b with the bass circuit, AND the ren 90, especially the condition of yours for a pair of 4.5 is a no go for me, at least not without extended listening, and probably not even then.

I love my 2b and will never let my ren 90's go. But I sure would love to hear the 4.5.....:drool

Good luck! and do let us know how the pair sound when you're finished, not to mention I can't wait to come over and side by side the 2b and the 2.5.

had this all gone down a week ago, I'd have been able to go, but now I'm boned, gotta prep for a cali gig for halloween, gonna be in berdoo for the entire last half of oct.

If you do the deal I'd highly suggest pulling the woofers and ensure the wiring is correct. I've seen that on 2 prs that I've checked - wrongly wired. Once I got mine working properly I didn't miss any of the other Infinity's I've had or heard. Excepting the IRS V's. I have not heard the Sigma, Beta, Epsilon or Gamma/Deltas - or the Quantum line (small models, yes).

From my cold dead hands......LOL Jazzman's ! I bet if I brought you new Wilson Audio sumpin's you'd come out like the Queens guard, take a look and shout That's Nice............Now Make way :rockon: ! Hahaha. Your awesome my dudeness :thumbsup:.

Kurtgo, the owner sounds like he's pretty hip but yes a good going over would be in order, if we proceed I'll try and share a few pictures. Honestly these look outstanding for their age. I'm not easily impressed anymore and these present very well. We'll just have to see, we are talking maybe next week but I feel my yearly cold/flu coming on.

I'm probably going to throw a Crown XLS 2502 at these guys for power.

Last edited:
I bought mine new in 1983, the serial #'s are : 7307638 and 7307639, Absolute best speaker you will ever own, thier even better than the 1b's.
Al

Well I’ve had some time listening to these 4.5’s now. I’m using only 4 components, preamp, amp, iPad & iTunes and searching “audiophile music” for good recordings. These speakers are flat out amazing, the weight, the body the presence they bring in the music is pretty fantastic.

I’m not sure where they lack, other than my components. I do wonder if they’d benefit from a recap and I think I may go down that road after studying the crossover and researching what’s available.

But for now, completely happy and glad everything happened the way it did and the path led me here.

Well I’ve had some time listening to these 4.5’s now. I’m using only 4 components, preamp, amp, iPad & iTunes and searching “audiophile music” for good recordings. These speakers are flat out amazing, the weight, the body the presence they bring in the music is pretty fantastic.

I’m not sure where they lack, other than my components. I do wonder if they’d benefit from a recap and I think I may go down that road after studying the crossover and researching what’s available.

But for now, completely happy and glad everything happened the way it did and the path led me here.
I've enjoyed some well recorded internet tunes, however a well recorded LP or CD will sound even more amazinger, imo;)

Thrilled you're still enthralled, and some high praise indeed!
I need to make my way over to hear them.

That’s the next project tubed, I have a little bear T10, ATLp120 and Nagaoka 110. I’ve never used it all together so when time permits I’ll get it set up and do some spinning. Like that word at the end...amazinger :thumbsup:.

Anytime Jazz. Brakes are on. Only after Quality Music now.

We all have our opinions and mine would be 4.5 over any of the Infinity's other than say the IVS or Beta's. I have both RS-1b's, RSIIb's, Quantum Line Sources, Kappa 9's, and the 4.5 is a better overall speaker than all of these systems.

I would have to agree Ken. Over the years I've had some pretty decent Infinity Speakers, RSII, 2B, Ren 80 & 90, QLS-1 and 5, Cresendo 3007 & 3009, Kappa 8's and a few I'm forgetting. Right now the main system is the 2.5 and for me it's the best of the bunch and where I do most of my listening.

These 4.5 are on a complete higher level. A few days ago I hit a Sirius channel playing some very good music I'd not heard before. I rotated a few things around hit the volume knob at the perfect level. It turns into more of an event listening to these, I really feel I see now the dragon we chase regarding what an audiophile seeks.

The clarity, definition and soundstage all rolled up into one pair of speakers. Magnificent !

Back
Top Bottom