My grandfather was a penny-pincher to the Enth Degree. He'd squeeze a penny so hard that Lincoln's head would pop.

He shaved with a straight razor, because buying razor blades was a luxury he could not afford. He would just shave off some flakes from the Ivory Soap bar in the bathroom and mix up lather because buying shaving soap was a luxury he could not afford.

While I applaud the frugality, some of us are into a bit of luxury these days. We did not live through the great depression and we have a few dollars to spend on things like vintage Hi Fi and shaving accessories.

I have even treated myself to a straight razor shave from time to time in major cities where you can get a barber to shave you. But again, they are not using a genuine straight razor, but a Shavette where they put a razor blade in an open holder that looks like a straight razor. In Chicago, I had a barber once shave me with a Double Edge razor. Sheesh. The shaves I have received from Barbers have not been great. I'm sure some will give you a great shave, but I have not found them yet. I leave it to myself to do a fabulous "BABY BUTT SMOOTH" (BBS) Shave.

Last edited:
BB, you've turned "shaving" into a full blown art form! :thumbsup: Nice.

Great layout/design of your barber site. Envious. But prob won't get one. The SO!

Q

I like cheapo double blade Gillette disposables. Never could get used to the triple bladers and floating blades. I also like my vintage Remington Microscreen.

maxresdefault.jpg
Man, I wish I could find one of these! I always like how well they worked. All they seem to have nowadays are those 3 disc Norelco types...

Man, I wish I could find one of these! I always like how well they worked. All they seem to have nowadays are those 3 disc Norelco types...

Norelco doesn't work for me either. I went through a series of Wahl barber sheers to rough trim my protest beard. They didn't last either. My Micro-screen is still going strong.

BB, you've turned "shaving" into a full blown art form! :thumbsup: Nice.

Great layout/design of your barber site. Envious. But prob won't get one. The SO!

Q

Thanks. Mine is OK but you should see some of them I have seen on Shaving Forums. Just like we have guys here on AK that have amazing setups for audio, if you go on to shaving forums you can't believe what some guys have. Right down to a hot lather pumper and a barber chair with barber pole.

Norelco electric here most days, Gillette Mach 3 on Monday mornings when I haven't shaved all weekend. I'd consider letting it grow, but it would be gray (which the rest of my hair isn't yet, mostly).

Billy, you can open up your own Barber Shop! You need to get an antique Barber Shop pole light! ;)

I use a cordless rechargeable electric shaver. Have to shave everyday! I'm another one I hate shaving!! ;)

I use a moisturizing hand soap since shaving "cream" is an emulsion that doesn't work well. I use bic disposable ladies leg razors on my face, that way my wife only has to buy one thing.

It, cuts clean, close, and I don't get bumps. Since it works so well, I would be hard pressed to complicate my life any further than that.

The best shave for me is a multi-blade razor while the shower is aimed directly where I'm shaving. It has beat any of the creams and lotions. Obviously you are not in front of a mirror but you can feel your face to see where you need to work again. It is the least irritating by far. A sharp blade is everything. Don't leave it in the shower after use, take it out and dry it after each shave. I usually get about 20 shaves from a replaceable blade cartridge.

I love the Philips HS, HQ and RQ series.

I got a lot of them, some 15 or 20 or so. Philips introduced the HQ series in 1998, my newest RQ is some five years old. Following the planned obsolescence principle, they stopped producing the shaving heads long time ago. But I stored a lot of them back then. Now these shaving heads have become extremely expensive. An American Ebayer recently offered a RQ10 shaving head for 174 Euros...

When I shave, it's with a DE or a straight, of which I have one or two, a lanolin-based soap and lathered with either a boar or badger-bristle brush. Guys, if you've never had a straight razor and hot towel shave, you owe it to yourself to find a place that does it. It's the ultimate in luxury, IMHO.

Picture 061.jpg Picture 062.jpg Picture 063.jpg

When I shave, it's with a DE or a straight, of which I have one or two, a lanolin-based soap and lathered with either a boar or badger-bristle brush. Guys, if you've never had a straight razor and hot towel shave, you owe it to yourself to find a place that does it. It's the ultimate in luxury, IMHO.

View attachment 1297324 View attachment 1297325 View attachment 1297327

MOST EXCELLENT STRAIGHT RAZORS, MY GOOD MAN! Very fine indeed. Do I see a Wade And Butcher FBU (For Barber Use) model in there? I have one and it is one of my favorite Straight Razors.

Yes, you are so correct. A fine hot towel straight razor shave is the ultimate in luxury.

Nice collection and thanks for sharing!

MOST EXCELLENT STRAIGHT RAZORS, MY GOOD MAN! Very fine indeed. Do I see a Wade And Butcher FBU (For Barber Use) model in there? I have one and it is one of my favorite Straight Razors.

Yes, you are so correct. A fine hot towel straight razor shave is the ultimate in luxury.

Nice collection and thanks for sharing!
Good eye. I got that one up in Bridgeport, CT. My favorite ones, are my Wostenholm Pipe razors.

Pipe razor003.jpg Pipe razor001.jpg

View attachment 1297324 View attachment 1297325 View attachment 1297327

Ninja swords for the face. Nice selection. I know nothing about the straight razors of shaving. Envious of the gentlemen who use them. I'll stick to my Slim and Fatboy. :)

A most anticipated shave on Sunday after backpacking in the southern woods.

Back
Top Bottom