Have decided to get back in the Hi-Fi game after dedades!

Jim Detloff

Hi friends! I'm brand new to this site, but have been perusing it for several weeks. I'm an old-school guy, luthier and professional musician. I've decided to go with a vintage tube receiver, preferably a Fisher 500C. I need a little guidance as to where is the best place to pick one up. I see several "garage finds" on eBay, and some supposedly well restored versions...but local pickup only! Any suggestions as to where to locate a good solid example, and who's the best restoration person for these units? Thanks!

You're best bet is at auction since it provides the highest flow of equipment. Craigslist is another option as a seller there usually gives you an inspection option. Last but not least is right here! Bartertown is available for subscribers as it is a hidden forum but by subscribing you will gain access to members' buying/selling all kinds of stuff.

Regarding auction items, the level and quality of restoration is always suspect. Always. And always factor in the cost of shipping as well as tech fees if you're not going to do it yourself. As far as a tech is concerned, there are quite a few very competent folk that restore Fisher equipment. The "best" is a subjective call depending on baseline skills as well as the workmanship quality of what is done. There are the speed demons who snip and tack components, and there are those who desolder and properly wrap components before soldering. For my money if I had to send a piece out for a complete overhaul, I wouldn't hesitate to send it to Dave G. who, by the way, often hangs out in this forum. I have no idea what his queue is like but you will be absolutely satisfied with the work.

You're best bet is at auction since it provides the highest flow of equipment. Craigslist is another option as a seller there usually gives you an inspection option. Last but not least is right here! Bartertown is available for subscribers as it is a hidden forum but by subscribing you will gain access to members' buying/selling all kinds of stuff.

Regarding auction items, the level and quality of restoration is always suspect. Always. And always factor in the cost of shipping as well as tech fees if you're not going to do it yourself. As far as a tech is concerned, there are quite a few very competent folk that restore Fisher equipment. The "best" is a subjective call depending on baseline skills as well as the workmanship quality of what is done. There are the speed demons who snip and tack components, and there are those who desolder and properly wrap components before soldering. For my money if I had to send a piece out for a complete overhaul, I wouldn't hesitate to send it to Dave G. who, by the way, often hangs out in this forum. I have no idea what his queue is like but you will be absolutely satisfied with the work.
I'm quite the perfectionist, so by "best" I mean someone who has a lot of experience with this circuit, and won't cut corners! Thanks! Anyone have contact information for "Dave G."?

Welcome back and welcome to AK! There have been a few advancements in HiFi since the Fischer 500C was current. Why not audition something that wasn't a classic when you last left the hobby?

Back
Top Bottom