Any experience with Class D amps and impressions?

Late reply (hopefully not answered already), but...

It makes me wish that PS Audio would have continued producing hybrid amps, with their new Class D amps too.
Their Stellar power amps have Class D output stages, paired with a Class A "Analog Cell" input stage. The S300 is 140w/ch 8Ω and 300w/ch 4Ω, and the M700 monoblocks are 350w 8Ω and 700w 4Ω. They impressed quite a few at AXPONA with the Stellar Stack they were running (Stellar Gain Cell DAC as the source).

The BHK amps are at another level entirely, a "cost no object" design.

So, here's a dumb question about these amps. They put out so much power, but the power supply caps are so much smaller than those in 'traditional' amps. No one is complaining about that, so I assume this means that the way the thing works eliminates the need for all that capacitance. Anyone able to elaborate?

So, here's a dumb question about these amps. They put out so much power, but the power supply caps are so much smaller than those in 'traditional' amps. No one is complaining about that, so I assume this means that the way the thing works eliminates the need for all that capacitance. Anyone able to elaborate?
Some use an active "capacitance multiplier" in the power supply input.

I've seen some huge caps added to the front these boards, but as I understand it, you'd better have a "soft start" mechanism somewhere in line.

What's small in this regard? I honestly don't know.
Off hand, I can think of one power board which offers over 28,000uf before the input caps.

I have a ClassDAudio SDS 470C 4 channel amp. I only use two channels to power my 4 ohm Monitor Audio Silver 8s. The step up in audio quality from my previous Rotel amps (bridged and in plain stereo) was profound, despite the rotels having a good reputation and big power supply. The SDS470c is beautifully powerful and grabs a hold of these speakers. Transients are totally covered all the way up to the highest SPL and they never get harsh or grainy like they used to with the rotels (likely they were clipping).

The SDS470c seems much warmer than the Rotel. I used to think my Silver 8s were sharp and harsh at the top end. I now think that was entirely the amp. The class d audio amp is beautifully warm, has big, clean bass, realistic mids and rich in tone yet just as detailed as the rotel. Yet the detail doesn't feel like it is etching sound into my temples haha. I really like the sds470c and do not see myself upgrading any time soon. I can listen to it all night and it never makes the speakers sound too bright, just beautifully balanced. I cannot recommend classdaudio amps enough. If they can be bettered it is likely through a little more exciting high end lift as they are so balanced and neutral sounding it may not get the sparkle juices flowing like other more lively amps may. I don't care though as the presentation the SDS470c gives is exactly what I was after.

I still enjoy one of the best Class D amps ever put in an Integrated Amplifier. The Esotric I-03, one of the first products to come out of Esoteric’s Master Sound Works group is phenomenal and it’s original MSRP of $12,000.00 was a statement when it was shipping in 2011. I don’t think it sold well in the US, and I did purchase mine used. Too bad the Class D amp in the I-03 didn’t carry over to any of the new F-0X series of integrated. Wonderful component and plays way above competing Class D amps still.

Here is a pic of my H20 Audio amplifier that is 250 WPC of Class D power. I would like to think the power supply caps are pretty substantial. As is the dual stacked toroidal transformers. Also capable of driving a 1 ohm load.

H2OA.jpg

Cheers
Mister Pig

Many subs are now driven by class d amps. Even though they can be quite powerful they produce very little heat. This $10 TPA3116 mono sub amp makes 100 watt and is stable into 2 ohm loads. One knob is the volume control and the other is the crossover. If you're wondering it's case is a picture frame from Ikea. :biggrin:

P1010001.jpg

I have been thinking of trying a Class D amp with my ATC SCM-40's and a Cary SLP-98 pre. Been leaning towards the M700's based on reviews and they would fit my budget.

I like the ClassDAudio SDS-470 so far. It just seems to get out of the way and is very quiet. I'm glad I don't have the urge to just sell it right away. That Mivera is really intriguing and may be next for me. My system is morphing into what I envisioned but still have a ways to go. Seems like my next digital item to focus on is the CD/SACD player.

Can I assume that you liked the M700's more than the SDS-470 ?

Well, I "rolled" op amps through my DAC and easily can tell the difference. Really makes my M700's keepers now. One set of op amps for rock and another set for all other music. I kinda like the options I have with the DAC op amps and the way the M700's sound as they give me multiple options and all fairly quickly. Now to sell all my big bad ass Class A/B amps.

Are you still using the M700's or have you moved on?

Here's what I think re: M700's vs SDS-470 - in my system it's the parts that make up the whole. Therefore, my preferred combination is with the M700's. It just seems to overall sound better with most of the different types of music I listen to. I also believe they will give me more flexibility if I go with different speakers. Given that statement though here's another impression - with my more detailed speakers obviously I'm liking the M700's; if I still had my Infinity 4.5's I think I'd prefer the SDS-470 as I believe it would help them be more "detailed" sounding while keeping their easy listening ability. So if I had warmer/darker sounding speakers I'd pick the SDS-470. For brighter/more detailed speakers I'm picking the M700's.

The SDS-470 is up for sale, unless "Tox" says otherwise.

I recently picked up a 2nd SMSL SA-98e and have put them in my system. I'm using them one per side in an active bi-amp system. I'll give them a few more weeks in the hopes they smooth out the highs and fill out the bottom a little more.

I recently picked up a 2nd SMSL SA-98e and have put them in my system. I'm using them one per side in an active bi-amp system. I'll give them a few more weeks in the hopes they smooth out the highs and fill out the bottom a little more.

One for HF and one for LF?

Back
Top Bottom