What was the most expensive amp of each decade?

Adam N.

Trying to keep it simple.
I am curious to know what the most expensive amp of each decade was. I'd like to index it against the median cost of a single family home and household income.

I am trying to figure out when six figure amps took off and ultra high end/cost appeared.

The Accuphase p-300 and c-200 I have were purchased new in '74 or'75 by my father. The p-300 was $750, and the c-200 was $600.

Three years later the Crown DL-2 preamp had a list price close to $2000 and I need to look up if that included the phono module. It was available in the late 70s and I doubt it was the most expensive preamp of the time.

Threshold and Mark Levinson had pricey gear in the mid-late 1970s. I don't recall price range of the infinity SWAMP.

Boulder amps were the most pricey I've auditioned for pleasure, some appx ten years ago. Don't recall $ but ridiculously over my PG.

Stereo amplifiers only?

A pair of McIntosh MC3500 were $2,198 from 1968 - 1971. Today they can command $40K

The OP is asking; when did amplifiers start selling for more than $99, 999 ?

I'm guessing it happened in Japan, first.

Last edited:
It looks like Western Electric amplifiers have the most history in the realm of ultra high end.

I can't find the specifics right now.

Can't really compare modern high end with the old and the connotation of "high end" have very different implications depending on the era.

With earlier equipment, high end was more about superior performance, quality and reliability relative to the competition, or in other words, its utilitarian value, whereas the emphasis of today's high end is more about exotic materials, aesthetics etc.

In 1983, the Harman Kardon Citation XX power amplifier was AU$15,800 RRP in Australia, complete with its wooden crate and small 'crowbar' to open it.

I'm pretty sure it was the most expensive amplifier in all the tabulated listings at the time over here.

Someone could roll over to americanradiohistory.com and review the october audio magazines for the list of the amps and other components in the annual buyer's guide. Those lists might have most of the amps available at the time on just a few pages with the then current price in one column.

Back
Top Bottom