Mofi ultradeck “upgrades”

Chimbot

Howdy,
I’ve had my ultradeck since the new year and while I am more than happy with it as is, I couldn’t help but wonder if anyone has tried different cartridges (MM or MC) or phono cables of a “higher grade” curious to hear what has been done. I currently have the ultra tracker that it was set up with, sounds great to me but I can’t help but wonder what a MC might sound like with this TT.
My set up is a MA6900 and Cornwall’s (1). I mainly listen to lots of louder forms of music but also lots of jazz and specific funk,soul and acoustic stuff.

I currently have the ultra tracker that it was set up with, sounds great to me but I can’t help but wonder what a MC might sound like with this TT.
Well just like any table the cartridge will give you the biggest sound change, is the change better or not will be up to your ears. Staging would be the next step along with maybe a nice MC cartridge, the best thing to do is try things.

Let me give you this though. People have a very hard time spending $500-$1000 on a little tinny cartridge. If they spend that much they want to see some big equipment in their space. I used to have $150- $200 MM cartridges and spent a lot of money on other equipment looking for sound quality. It wasn't until I got a used $1200 MC for $600 that my eyes opened up, not to mention the SQ of the system. I then staged it better and I haven't look back since.

Sound quality starts at the stylus meeting the record, quality records and cartridges will be the start of a nice system. The old saying here is crap in crap out, your goal is not to feed the system crap.

My set up is a MA6900
This amp is pretty much out classing what your putting into it with the cartridge and what your putting out with the speakers. It can handle much better front end and back end components. But as your thinking I would start with cartridges and phono staging. Then you can start trying speakers if you want.

Well just like any table the cartridge will give you the biggest sound change, is the change better or not will be up to your ears. Staging would be the next step along with maybe a nice MC cartridge, the best thing to do is try things.

Let me give you this though. People have a very hard time spending $500-$1000 on a little tinny cartridge. If they spend that much they want to see some big equipment in their space. I used to have $150- $200 MM cartridges and spent a lot of money on other equipment looking for sound quality. It wasn't until I got a used $1200 MC for $600 that my eyes opened up, not to mention the SQ of the system. I then staged it better and I haven't look back since.

Sound quality starts at the stylus meeting the record, quality records and cartridges will be the start of a nice system. The old saying here is crap in crap out, your goal is not to feed the system crap.

Yea, def starts with the cartridge. I’ve only had 2 TT’s with a MC on’em. A Sonograph sg3 that came with a older Sumiko blue point and it sounded amazing. It was near its end and then only worked on one channel though. Have a Linn that came with a Benz Ace and that didn’t really have the same output as the Sumiko. It was nice but kinda quiet and tame.
I like the Cornwall’s because for the types of music I listen too they don’t disguise the tones, but yea, I’m sure there are many types of Amazing speakers to get into.

A Sonograph sg3 that came with a older Sumiko blue point and it sounded amazing.

I really like Sumiko cartridges, Basically I have three turntables in my main system and they all have Blackbirds on them.
The Blue Point EVO III is also a really nice cartridge, Sumiko just came out with a few new carts I haven't tried, but I'm sure the upper teirs will be really good. If you go High Output MC you can get away with your built in phono stage, Low Output you'll need a Phono head amp, or SUT to boost the gain.

Do you have a budget to start working with cartridges?

From what I read the Mac uses a MM phono stage. So to use moving coils, this means you either go the high output route or use a step up of some sort, either a SUT or a pre/preamp. In the world of high output moving coils the choices are a bit sparse these days. They are not as plentiful as they used to be in say the 1990's.

The ones I know of are a couple from Sumiko, a couple from Dynavector, a couple from Hana, one from Denon, one from Jico, and a couple from Ortofon.

It depends on what your budget is. The Denon is the least expensive, then comes an Ortofon, and finally a Sumiko at $500. Everything else starts getting more expensive.

So yes, it does come down to budget, and that will help others make a meaningful recommendation.

Cheers
Mister Pig

I really like Sumiko cartridges, Basically I have three turntables in my main system and they all have Blackbirds on them.
The Blue Point EVO III is also a really nice cartridge, Sumiko just came out with a few new carts I haven't tried, but I'm sure the upper teirs will be really good. If you go High Output MC you can get away with your built in phono stage, Low Output you'll need a Phono head amp, or SUT to boost the gain.

Do you have a budget to start working with cartridges?

Hmmm... I’m wondering if that Blue point that I had was a high output MC and if that’s why it had the great sound that it did? It was going through a Rotel phono amp. The Mac had a dedicated MM input but also a Aux that I could use to plug the phono amp into. Budget isn’t established yet but thinking around $500 and a little bit up.

Moving on from my Debut Carbon Esprit with an Ortofon 2m Blue cart, I went with the Mo-Fi Studio Deck and Studio Tracker cart. I was prepared to update the cartridge to another 2M Blue or Bronze, possible an AT 540. But at this point I'm more than pleased with the Mo-Fi cart. I would think you'd have to cruise around the $1K range to better the Ultra Tracker cart that's with your TT. Are you prepared to do that?

Hmm... I think my ultra deck came with the master tracker which is around the $500 range I believe. It’s great and I really like it. Just thinking future options.
How do you like your Studiodeck? I really really like my ultra. I can’t imagine the studiodeck being any lesser of a shredder. It plays every type of music so well!

Love the Studiodeck so far. Not particularly wild about the dust cover hinges though. Difficult to engage the tabs on the cover with the slots on the 'table. Otherwise, it's a major improvement on the Debut Carbon Esprit. The Studiodeck and Studio tracker cartridge offer a much more expansive sound stage than the Debut Carbon which sounded somewhat lean by comparison. I'm kicking around the idea of the Studio Phono pre-amp. Don't know how it compares with the phono section of my Parasound P-5 pre-amp though.

Back
Top Bottom