Just getting to know decks.

nh36000

Too many notes!!!
I all ways had an idea that an RS-1506US had a 4 track, 2 channel rec./Pb,/erase configuration to it. And then, a 2 track, 2 channel Pb. head, in addition.

Looking at an SM at HiFi Engine, I see that it's configured like a 5050 I have. I wouldn't need another deck like that.

I have though that a 4 track, 2 channel, Rec./Pb./Erase, with a 1/2 track Pb. auxiliary, such as a Technics, and the 5050, would give me all the decks I would ever need.

I've found sources that say it's a 1/4 track R/Pb/E and others that say it's a 1/2 track R/Pb/E.

Which is it?

Lu.

The Technics RS-1506 is normally equipped with a RP-2422 head block which has 1/4-track erase, record and play heads and a 1/2-track play head. An RP-2224 head block, which is normally installed on the RS-1500, can also be installed on the RS-1506. The RP-2224 head block has 1/2-track erase, record and play heads and a 1/4-track play head.

dh, if you would, please.

A name plate on the front of a 1506 that says, '4 track 1506' on it, would mean that a normal 1/4 track head block is there, yes?

There is one out there for sale but no mention that it's been changed over to 2 track.

Maybe I'll write to ask, for sure.

I'm not familiar with Technic's decks, much at all.

Lu.

A name plate on the front of a 1506 that says, '4 track 1506' on it, would mean that a normal 1/4 track head block is there, yes?
Unless the head block has been changed, the RS-1506 as originally configured would have an RP-2422 head block which is able to erase, record and play 1/4-track tapes. If the head block has been changed, this may not be the case. It would be wise to confirm what head block is installed on the unit you are considering purchasing.

Well, well, well!

Ebay has an RS-1500 up, and the seller says that it has a 1506 head stack on it. So, that's a 4 track record deck. The plate on the bottom of the deck still says that it is a 2 track.

Aaaand, this morning, I saw that the head stack catalog number is printed on the front of the stack towards the bottom. 2422 or 2224. A lot easier to tell a 2 track from a 4 track deck, then.

So, like I mentioned, I don't even know beans about such a deck. yet.

Lu.

Aaaand, this morning, I saw that the head stack catalog number is printed on the front of the stack towards the bottom. 2422 or 2224. A lot easier to tell a 2 track from a 4 track deck, then.
Yes, the head block front plate is labeled to indicate what type it is. A note of caution - I purchased what was advertised as a an RS-1506 from an eBay seller. When I received the deck, I found that the head block had been modified by the previous owner converting what was labeled as an RP-2422 to the RP-2224 configuration. I subsequently sent the head block to John French to have it restored to its original configuration. The lesson I learned is you need to confirm that what you plan to buy is what you actually want.

dh;

So your saying that, what is labeled doesn't mean that that's what's in there, as in your case.

The only other thing is, and my 5050 is a B-2HD, a deck with grey pot knobs on it. And back then, when those were built, Otari did make a 4 track record deck with a 2 track auxiliary, as a 5050 model. The other thing is that I've never even seen a photo of one, much less one for sale anywhere. I think it was a B-4LD? It was probably Skywevebe that told me that changing a 5050 2 track over to a 4 track, would require some extra work on the inards to get working right.

So there again, I could make my 4 track 7 1/2 IPS record album copies on such a deck, sourcing 2 track, 15 IPS record recordings made on the -2HD.

I don't know why but, sourcing a 2 track recording, just sounds better than running the album source right into the TEAC 3300's I have. And that's why I like the 2 track machines. My TEAC recordings are sounding better, now, for that. Maybe it's the speed and track width. They sound better.

Lu.

Back
Top Bottom