Eico's Owner Group

This will be the final shot of the 2080 before it goes back into the wood cabinet, I spent the day spinning some vinyl with it hooked to my Miracord turntable. The 2080 has a fabulous phono section, I'm super impressed with the outcome of this restoration.

20161009_101816.jpg

I owned a mint 2080 as well,traded it for a HHscott LC 21 tube pre to match my lk-150 ...no regrets both vintage pieces sound excellent on efficient FR speakers
Also run an eico integrated [hf -20}in mono with a big University S-8 speaker.
Another Eico piece{hf-85} tube pre I run with a old electrohome el 84 pp console pull it looks like a dogs breakfast but sounds deadly all recapped

+1 HF81
eico1.jpg

That's a beauty, well done! I have two HF-87's, both are in need of one output transformer though in order to restore them. And they are two different makes of transformers, so I'm always searching for some.

That's a beauty, well done! I have two HF-87's, both are in need of one output transformer though in order to restore them. And they are two different makes of transformers, so I'm always searching for some.
I was lucky that the original output transformers were in great shape. The power transformer, not so much. The power transformer was rebuilt by Heyboer.

I can't confirm the original manufacturer of the output transformers but I highly recommend Heyboer to have them built if needed. If they are the original manufacturer then they may also have the original specs.

I was lucky that the original output transformers were in great shape. The power transformer, not so much. The power transformer was rebuilt by Heyboer.

I can't confirm the original manufacturer of the output transformers but I highly recommend Heyboer to have them built if needed. If they are the original manufacturer then they may also have the original specs.
I most likely will have to go that route, it's very hard finding correct parts for them.

Unbelievable. I actually started with hifi's with my dad's Eico Cortina amp and tuner that he passed along to me. I remember being so proud of it when we moved to the (then) new house when I was 13. About a year later I found out why he ditched it for his new set (Sansui 9090DB); The Eico's sound wasn't stable and one channel would not play. I kept it a little while and eventually I threw it away, thinking that it was junk. In its heyday (my dad originally bought it from his cousin) it had decent sound. It was nowhere near as powerful as the Sansui receiver he eventually bought, but for a small system it produced good sound (when it worked).

Just picked up a 2080 from Barter Town and just getting everything nailed down.
It came without a cage\cover. Does anyone know if the one from a ST-70 will work?

I'm not positive, but I think it is narrower. Recently someone was looking for the ST70 cover, they posted measurements IIRC

I have both in the house now. I can't look this second. If you don't see anything from me by tomorrow morning . Please remind me

Hi every one. I'm new to the forum, thought I'd check in here at the Eico group.
I have an ST70 that was built from a kit by my Father in law in the early 60s. He gave it to me about 15 years ago. After using it for a couple of years I set it aside and now I'm re-capping it. I've got the electrolytic and coupling caps installed and now I'm waiting for caps for the loudness switch.
I've got it hooked up to my little Klipsch Quintet speakers with a Velodyne sub. and it sounds really good. The speaker phase switch seems to be working backwards, so I hooked the speaker for ch2 to the other terminal board (the one connected directly to the OT) which should bypass that odd switching.
In the same room I have a Kenwood KA8100 with ESS amt1D speakers. I haven't got around to comparing the 2 set ups yet, but so far I think Eico w/small speakers sounds at least as good as the Kenwood w/ESS

HF-89, built from a kit. My 2nd component in my first system. 1st component was a kit built mono Dynatuner.FM1.

HF-81 here. Had it about a year. Re-capped. Russian K40Y-9s for coupling caps.
I would describe mine as lacking some detail. But, there is definitely something very special about this amp.
Mid range sounds exceptional; Harmony vocals and acoustic guitar esp. I probably need to do more work to it. Maybe swap out coupling caps. For what I don't know really.
One slight problem. I do have a little hum. Not enough to be annoying. Might check grounding points.
I'll try to remember to add a pic or two later.
Jim

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom