Yamaha CX-1 Thread

Concerning the unit without silk screen component ID's on the boards, I made high res copies of the board layout pages of the SM. Then, section by section I highlighted the resistors that I wanted to change on the layouts and my list, and then re-highlighted them in green as I changed them. I measured every piece old and new, one by one, to avoid mistakes.

DSC05744.jpg DSC05745.jpg

Cheers,
James

Reactions: mbz
Main board underside mounted bypass caps. Time/resource wise I didn't heavily work every input. The tuner, tape-1 and tape-2 inputs only got Wima bypass caps instead of the Panisonic polypro caps. The Wima caps in the photo in the phono section were replaced with Panasonics eventually.

DSC05746.jpg

Cheers,
James

Reactions: mbz
That's it for now. Darn thing sounds breathtaking good.

Cheers,
James

I just got my hands on a mint CX-1
spent most of its life in original box, maybe never used, the remote is still wrapped!

Sounds great but sometimes a bit gritty / cold compared to my usual preamp; I suppose capacitors are not in top shape if having stayed unused for years or decades...

I've followed your thread with great interest, thank you for taking the time, this will be a fantastic tool when I decide to recap mine!

Have you noticed any improvements after recap? I'm curious about the Wima MKS to replace the Nichicon lytics ; don't they make the sound sharper / brighter / maybe more agressive?

spent most of its life in original box, maybe never used, the remote is still wrapped!

Sounds great but sometimes a bit gritty / cold compared to my usual preamp; I suppose capacitors are not in top shape if having stayed unused for years or decades...

I've followed your thread with great interest, thank you for taking the time, this will be a fantastic tool when I decide to recap mine!

Have you noticed any improvements after recap? I'm curious about the Wima MKS to replace the Nichicon lytics ; don't they make the sound sharper / brighter / maybe more agressive?

A little edgy at first but will settle down with some hours on the couch. Overall nice balanced sound and lots of punch in the bass. For me it's extremely close with the C-2x and the phono is wonderful with MC carts.

Hi Klascala and welcome to Audiokarma. :)

If it's really been sitting that long without having been used you can only really evaluate it after the caps have been reformed. The best way would be to use a variac and let it reform step by step at increasing voltage levels. Other than that I would turn it on and let it sit with no input for several days.

I've noticed serious improvements. First after only recapping and again after the second set of work. How it sounds goes deep into the opinion zone. My opinion is that it delivers far more detail, depth and clarity. Much depends on the source and the speakers also of course.

I just saw your PM, I'll reply in more detail there.

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
A little edgy at first but will settle down with some hours on the couch. Overall nice balanced sound and lots of punch in the bass. For me it's extremely close with the C-2x and the phono is wonderful with MC carts.

Heh, heh, when I was updating my Denon DCD-2700 thread I re-read a few posts I saw your mention of listening to BÖC Spectres. Which made me realize that it's been far too long. So on the weekend I spun "Agents Of Fortune" and "On Your Feet Or On Your Knees". Damn that was good. Thanks for reminding me!

Cheers,
James

Heh, heh, when I was updating my Denon DCD-2700 thread I re-read a few posts I saw your mention of listening to BÖC Spectres. Which made me realize that it's been far too long. So on the weekend I spun "Agents Of Fortune" and "On Your Feet Or On Your Knees". Damn that was good. Thanks for reminding me!

Cheers,
James

Oh my goodness...and Secret Treaties, Tyranny and Mutation...you really can't go wrong with any of them. What a catalogue!

Just an FYI if you ever want to seek a decent replacement for the JRC 2068's with something that is through-hole DIP package, that sounds good is the OP275 from AD. It doesn't quite match the performance of the OPA-1602 (which matches the current requirements, and where the OPA-1612 can draw too much current if the supply isn't capable) however, there isn't a real good choice to properly decouple SOIC on riser boards, so the advantages to be found in noise performance is actually lost. So i you are looking for something that sounds almost equal to the OPA-1602 in DIP then I can attest to the OP275, and it's performance is much more appealing than listening to the NJM2068.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness...and Secret Treaties, Tyranny and Mutation...you really can't go wrong with any of them. What a catalogue!

Well, I don't have all of their catalog, only 12 cd's. :) I did get to see them twice. Once in 1976 at the State Line, Idaho festival and then in 1980 in Seattle, Memorial Stadium, Black & Blue tour.

Cheers,
James

I also have an "issue" in the low bass it seems. I bought two very high quality Viablue Y adapters, to be able to connect my active subwoofer on the single stereo output (my usual preamp has two outputs + a subwoofer output...)
Well I'm disappointed. Low bass seems weak. Normally I have to set the volume very low on the sub, otherwise it overpowers everything, it's a very potent Focal Electra SW900A... with the Yam preamp Have to set the sub way higher and it's still a bit anemic. I don't know if the Viable adapters are the cause (or if the output is unable to drive two devices? But being very low impedance at 47ohms, it should have no issue driving two pairs of cables and two amps) or if the preamp's caps are really dried out :-/

Back
Top Bottom