HDCD Question..

Infinity nutcase.
Reading another thread made me realize I have an HDCD player and I've never used it, so this is what I have...
IMG_2407.JPG IMG_2408.JPG
I've played regular cd's in it but never an HDCD, honestly I thought it just played regular cd music better. I didn't realize that there's cd's actually made in this format.

I'm mean sheeesh am I slow or what......LOL

So I looked around somewhat last night, where are you guys finding these, source to buy and any recommendations for some good music, I don't care the genre. With my Renaissance 90's and 2.5's I'd think I'd be able to pickup the additional quality.

Thanks Much,
David.

Here's a recent one....

42869209244_04a00f51f7.jpg

It is actually a hybrid SACD (meaning two layers). On the CD layer, it is HDCD encoded. A great deal at about $16. Anything on Reference Recordings will be HDCD encoded since Keith Johnson invented the HDCD process.

I just lucked onto mine, bud.

Didn't really look for them specifically and only became aware that I had some HDCD's was after I ripped them. That's when I realized it was a thing.

Reading another thread made me realize I have an HDCD player and I've never used it, so this is what I have...
View attachment 1301041 View attachment 1301042
I've played regular cd's in it but never an HDCD, honestly I thought it just played regular cd music better. I didn't realize that there's cd's actually made in this format.

I'm mean sheeesh am I slow or what......LOL

So I looked around somewhat last night, where are you guys finding these, source to buy and any recommendations for some good music, I don't care the genre. With my Renaissance 90's and 2.5's I'd think I'd be able to pickup the additional quality.

Thanks Much,
David.
If you do a google(type) search you'll find a list of them.

I recently ripped the Tom Petty Playback box, and it has always sounded good to me. How much of that is the HDCD thing is debatable, though.

Couple of the Joni Mitchell albums were available in HDCD format, (Court and Spark)
much of the Grateful Dead Rhino catalog, lots of other material ...

Last edited:
Ok Thanks you guys, Zia is a great suggestion I'll have to make a run up and see what they have. When I googled it last night the Greatful Dead was the first to come up. I do like some dead so I'll have to sift through for some good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom