Ninja swords for the face. Nice selection. I know nothing about the straight razors of shaving. Envious of the gentlemen who use them. I'll stick to my Slim and Fatboy. :)

A most anticipated shave on Sunday after backpacking in the southern woods.

Hey Z, have fun on the Backpacking trip. I've got a motorcycle camping trip coming up in a few weeks and am looking forward to that. I still take a few razors and wet shave at campground. You want to see a real puzzled face? I straight razor shave at the campground public showers after my morning shower. Hilarious to watch the guys looking at me wielding a straight razor. I also shave with a straight at my health club in the men's locker room. But they are so used to me straight razor shaving, I no longer get any reactions. I've actually converted a few from disposables to DE razors and one guy to a straight razor.

I remember when I first started straight razor shaving. Like Lynn Abram's video I posted earlier in the thread, I just "ever-so-gently" shaved my cheeks, then I used a DE to shave the rest of my face. I started very slowly. It took me a few months to shave my entire face with a straight razor. I have cut myself a few times over the years, but nothing severe. If you take your time and go easy and slow, it's not hard at all. Again, it just takes practice. Prepare the skin with proper lather, hold the razor at the proper angle as Lynn suggests and NEVER push the razor. Let it do the work, and you'll be just fine. BUT, if a DE is your thing, then it's all good. A DE is a fine way to wet shave. I just happen to prefer a straight.

Enjoy that backpacking trip!

Last edited:
SHAVE OF THE DAY Saturday October 6, 2018

IMG_20170724_121341.jpg

Signature Cut Throat "GENTS" Straight Razor
Edge Perfected with an Ocean Blue 12k Stone Touch-up Stone, then Cordovan Leather Stropped
Proraso Eucalyptus Cream
Vie-Long Horsehair Brush
Crown-King Shaving Scuttle
Lucky Tiger (orange scent) Face Tonic
Cremo Face Moisturizer
Murray and Laman Orange Blossom Cologne

Music of choice today in the Shaving Den;
JAZZ - Charlie Parker - Autumn in New York

Last edited:
SHAVE OF THE DAY Saturday October 6, 2018

IMG_20170724_121341.jpg

Signature Cut Throat "GENTS" Straight Razor
Edge Perfected with an Ocean Blue 12k Stone Touch-up Stone, then Cordovan Leather Stropped
Proraso Eucalyptus Cream
Vie-Long Horsehair Brush
Crown-King Shaving Scuttle
Lucky Tiger (orange scent) Face Tonic
Cremo Face Moisturizer
Murray and Laman Orange Blossom Cologne

Music of choice today in the Shaving Den;
JAZZ - Charlie Parker - Autumn in New York

Looks like a nice shave format (Shave of the Day) for the thread -- :)

Need to try that Lucky Tiger aftershave as well.

Looks like a nice shave format (Shave of the Day) for the thread -- :)

Need to try that Lucky Tiger aftershave as well.

Lucky Tiger is amazing stuff, Z. No burn, no sting, but soothing. I actually LOVE the orange scent in Lucky Tiger. I wrote the company and told them they should come out with a complete line of that fragrance. The closest I can come (and it's not really that close) is the Murray and Lanman Orange Blossom Cologne.

Last edited:
SHAVE OF THE DAY Sunday October 7, 2018

LAVENDER THEME for Sunday Evening Relaxation

IMG_20170803_075800.jpg

Edwin Jagger DE89 Razor - Bolzano Superinox Blade
Perfecto Badger Brush
Col Conk Lavender Soap and Col Conk Lavender After Shave Lotion
Bigelow Freshwater Lavender Cologne

Last edited:
I’m a wet shaver too.

If you haven’t tried Mitchell’s Wool Fat Soap, you’re missing out on a real treat.

Nice seeing a few Thayers witch hazel users in here. I’m partial to their Lavender flavor as well. Don’t overlook the products from L’Occitane either. Great creams and balms!

I’m a wet shaver too.

If you haven’t tried Mitchell’s Wool Fat Soap, you’re missing out on a real treat.

Nice seeing a few Thayers witch hazel users in here. I’m partial to their Lavender flavor as well. Don’t overlook the products from L’Occitane either. Great creams and balms!

Very good points. Thayers is good stuff. I make my own Witch Hazel Aftershave concoction as well that works great for razor burn. It's 3 parts Thayers Witch Hazel, 1 part distilled water, 1/2 part White Birch Bark, 1/2 part Tea Tree Oil 1/2 part Aloe Vera Oil. Although I haven't experienced razor burn in years, it's still a good aftershave mix for general use.

I have a cake of Mitchell's Wool Fat. Nice stuff. So many good soaps out there. And L'Occitane is amazing product. I love their Cedrat line of men's fragrance and balms.

Another great soap maker and aftershave seller is Stirling Soaps. I am a fan. It's a mom and pop operation, but they really put out some nice product.

I gave up straight razors years ago. It was a time issue. Currently using Shick Quattro titanium and canned shave gel. Wish I had room for a steam cabinet. Hot towel prep is where it’s at!

I gave up straight razors years ago. It was a time issue. Currently using Shick Quattro titanium and canned shave gel. Wish I had room for a steam cabinet. Hot towel prep is where it’s at!

I agree. I need to invest in a steam cabinet. Currently, I just soak a towel in water and nuke it for 45 seconds.

Last edited:
Shave Of The Day Monday October 8

All Proraso Theme

IMG_20170727_134646.jpg

Proraso Green Pre-Shave Cream and Shaving Cream
Micron Shavette with Voskhod Blade
Big Jim Boar Brush
Proraso Aftershave
Proraso Cyrpess and Vetiver Balm

Last edited:
I can't use disposable razors: too Frank Zappa-like, w/o the weasel.

A good friend made me a custom boar hair brush a while back: it's great; never thought a souvenir from a hairy varmint would make such a difference.
( Ever notice they never mention what part of the boar/badger/Dodo bird they get the hair from?
Could be I am rubbing boar butt bristles over my face when I shave; no wonder I don't like mornings)

DEs I like
Crystal , Feather, 7 O`Clock Sharp Edge Razor Blades - Gillette ,

DEs I don't:
Dorco, Astra

I recently bought a new package from Costco: Kirkland brand 14 count cartridges and proprietary handle: $20. Made in Germany.

The shave reminded me of the shave I got with Harry's products; good, but not great.

Not a totally smooth shave, nor totally close.

The difference was I only got 4 or 5 shaves with the Kirkland.

Took them back

This

41RInX0CXYL._SY355_.jpg

and this

610IUhbUymL._SY355_.jpg

...are both pretty awesome, IMHO. Yes, a little on the expensive side but if you use just a dab with some water in your hands, it's a true delight post-shave. Nice seeing another L'Occitane user, too @BillyBatts . I have no affils with this company.

I like the Proraso cream but do you find it kinda Menthol-ish?

Merkur razors are great and well-built. I believe mine in the 34C

upload_2018-10-9_12-59-25.jpeg

With a new Astra blade, I get BBS most always! :thumbsup:

Disclaimer: No affiliations

Merkur razors are great and well-built. I believe mine in the 34C

View attachment 1301055

With a new Astra blade, I get BBS most always! :thumbsup:

Disclaimer: No affiliations

I like the Merkur 34c and the Edwin Jagger DE89. I find them almost Identical. Both have a mild blade reveal, so you can put in a ultra-sharp blade like a Feather and as long as you don't push the razor, you'll get BBS every time with no razor burn. Guys that "Cork" their Feather blades make me laugh. You buy an ultra-sharp blade, then you dull it with a cork? What the heck? Obviously they are using a razor with a very aggressive blade reveal, and adjustable razor with too large a blade reveal setting, and/or pushing the razor. I put a new feather in my Merkur Futura Adjustable once and opened it wide. I got the razor burn from Hell. Those Merkur 34c and Jagger DE89s combined with an ultra-sharp blade are a match made in heaven.

Contrarily, if I put a medium sharp blade like a Voskhod in the Merkur 34c or the Jagger DE89, I am always disappointed with the closeness and comfort of the shave. The blade reveal (at least for my skin) is too mild for a medium sharp blade.

Skin, shaving style, blade reveal, blade sharpness, and skin prep (soap and lather) all combine to make your shave awesome or average. Everyone's style and beard and skin is different. There is no universal answer.

This

41RInX0CXYL._SY355_.jpg

and this

610IUhbUymL._SY355_.jpg

...are both pretty awesome, IMHO. Yes, a little on the expensive side but if you use just a dab with some water in your hands, it's a true delight post-shave. Nice seeing another L'Occitane user, too @BillyBatts . I have no affils with this company.

I like the Proraso cream but do you find it kinda Menthol-ish?

I hear what you are saying. It's the Eucalyptus in the Proraso green that is giving you this sensation. I really like it. If it's not your cup of tea, try the Proraso Red or Blue instead of the green. I'm a fan of menthol and eucalyptus on the skin. I like the "cooling" effect, but not everyone does. I understand that.

For a bargain shave cream you can get at CVS or Target, I really like the Cremo brand. Especially the new Cremo "Cooling". The only issue with it is you are not going to get a lot of lather. It's made to put a slickery surface on the skin but not to lather much. You can always add a few drops of Glycerin to it if you want bigger lather. I do this with Colonel Conk soaps. they are not bad, but to really get them to lather, I need to add Glycerin.

But if you are in a hurry to shave with a DE on rushed mornings, nothing beats putting some Cremo on your hand and rubbing it in to your beard with a bit of water. A little goes a long way and shazam! You have your beard prepped in double quick time when you are rushed. I don't like shaving when I am rushed, but we live in the real world, and sometimes we just don't have time to enjoy a luxurious shave when life gets in the way.

Edit:
L'Occitane makes some amazing product. Their creams and aftershave balms and colognes are first rate. Proraso is over the counter but it's superior FOR THE PRICE. That's why I love it.

Obiously, I have no affiliation with anything mentioned in the thread.

Last edited:
Shave of the Day Tuesday October 9

IMG_20170628_190950.jpg

Cut Throat Gents Straight Razor, Cordovan Leather Stropped
Stirling Iced Pineapple Soap (pineapple and menthol)
Stirling Iced Pineapple Aftershave
Big Jim Boar Brush

I hate having a beard, but I hate shaving even more.
I like the idea of a straight razor, but don't trust myself with one.

Thus, when I cut my beard, I use the same electric shaver I use on my head.
Once a month, whether I need it or not.

Sometimes I even wash my hair first.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom