TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I'll have to open it up to see if the board matches the pics. The paper that came with it said something about a preamp opamp inside.

I think that is the single chip, but I am not sure. You could open it up and see.

This is the dual chip = https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nobsound-M...Fi-Stereo-2-Channel-100W-2-Black/253114270412

I think the sound is the same as far as I can tell, it is using the same chip, after all. The dual chip supposedly can output more power.

A couple of weeks ago I went on this thread and asked for a ready made class D I could try and you recommended the FX502. It came today and we set it up in out little den listening room. I've got to say that it's straight up excellent. It gives up nothing. What a little performer.

I'm just running it with Pioneer BS22 speakers that I had sort of given up on. In this new situation they never sounded better. Maybe they're the right speakers for the room or something but in any case the amp isn't letting them down. The whole thing works 100% with the mostly acoustic music we listen to.

Thanks so much for the tip.

The Breeze is a single chip, the Nobsound is a dual-chip. The layout is similar, so one can find the SMD resistors in both cases. Removing them is easy, re-soldering is a bit trickier, but I did it even with my weak soldering skills.

I have both and done the gain mod on both, which dropped the noise floor and thus improved the sound quality.

That said, if you're going to buy a boxed device, I'd recommend going for the FXAudio FX502SPro which I have and has significantly better sound than the Breeze or Nobsound or the Volt+D which people here rave about.

So you say the FXAudio FX502SPro has significantly better sound than the Volt+D? Have you had that amp in your system? I own the normal Volt+ and LOVE it! So YES, people here rave about it because it's worth raving about. Now if there is an amp that offers "SIGNIFICANTLY" better sound quality, as you say the FXAudio does, I am VERY intrigued. I have my main two channel rig set up and going now and am looking at swapping out the Volt+ for the Volt+D but am open to suggestions. This is it for me though, I don't want to play musical amps and keep swapping it out every 6 months. I want something that I can live with for years and just sit back and enjoy. I love the Volt+ and the only reason I am swapping it out, is because I need it for my bedroom. So why not upgrade in my main room.

Sorry that was awkward wording with unclear antecedents. I meant that I have the breeze and nobsound and the FX502SPro sounds significantly better than those two. I also wanted to say it is worth considering the Volt+D, which people here rave about, but I don't have one for comparison.

So you say the FXAudio FX502SPro has significantly better sound than the Volt+D? Have you had that amp in your system? I own the normal Volt+ and LOVE it! So YES, people here rave about it because it's worth raving about. Now if there is an amp that offers "SIGNIFICANTLY" better sound quality, as you say the FXAudio does, I am VERY intrigued. I have my main two channel rig set up and going now and am looking at swapping out the Volt+ for the Volt+D but am open to suggestions. This is it for me though, I don't want to play musical amps and keep swapping it out every 6 months. I want something that I can live with for years and just sit back and enjoy. I love the Volt+ and the only reason I am swapping it out, is because I need it for my bedroom. So why not upgrade in my main room.
The Volt +D has a minimalist signal path, fronted with a switchpoint attenuator and dual active capacitance multiplier power inputs.
The FX is a nice good sounding ergonomially pleasing package with a busier signal path for less $.
I don't think you'd go wrong either way, tho I do like the +D.

Sorry that was awkward wording with unclear antecedents. I meant that I have the breeze and nobsound and the FX502SPro sounds significantly better than those two. I also wanted to say it is worth considering the Volt+D, which people here rave about, but I don't have one for comparison.

Oh, no worries. I was hoping you had experienced the Vol+D because I want multiple opinions and options. I have been researching the FXAudio and it seems pretty legit. I am also looking into completely other options not in this thread. Looking into single ended triode amps as I have very efficient ZU Audio's. But I love these little inexpensive chip amps!

The Volt +D has a minimalist signal path, fronted with a switchpoint attenuator and dual active capacitance multiplier power inputs.
The FX is a nice good sounding ergonomially pleasing package with a busier signal path for less $.
I don't think you'd go wrong either way, tho I do like the +D.

I don't know what any of that means but it sounds like the Volt is better. LOL A less busier signal path seems like it would translate to better audio quality. So I would also assume that a lot of those minimalist set amps will also yield VERY good results?

If an amp can sound better in my application it can't sound significantly better than the FX. Not to my ears anyhow.

The best way to be happy with your setup is stay away from the forums.

I have a couple of single-ended tube amps and very efficient speakers. For my musical tastes, alternative/rock mostly, the tubes have great mids, but not nearly enough bass. I barely listen to those and much prefer these TPA-xxxx based amps.

I have a couple of single-ended tube amps and very efficient speakers. For my musical tastes, alternative/rock mostly, the tubes have great mids, but not nearly enough bass. I barely listen to those and much prefer these TPA-xxxx based amps.

Thanks. I was kind of thinking that too. I had a set amp awhile back and it was powering different speakers, single driver efficient speakers but I felt like it ran out of steam and dynamics when it came to a lot of the music I threw at it. I too listen to a lot of alternative/industrial alternative and hard rock like NIN and Ministry and so on and these TPA amps really don't have a weakness.

We've been through is before on this forum, but yeah, I still own a couple of Bottlehead mono-blocks and a relatively expensive SET integrated.
Looking through my stuff I find I still have two pairs of unused matched 300b's.

But at this point, if I want tube-type sound, I'll run a tube buffer/preamp through my TPA 3250/1/5 based amps.
Best, most controlled bass I ever heard in my life.

The only thing that might possibly change my mind is if I get my ancient PP Stromberg-Carlson amps up and running again.

Thanks. I was kind of thinking that too. I had a set amp awhile back and it was powering different speakers, single driver efficient speakers but I felt like it ran out of steam and dynamics when it came to a lot of the music I threw at it. I too listen to a lot of alternative/industrial alternative and hard rock like NIN and Ministry and so on and these TPA amps really don't have a weakness.

I like that music too and I think it sounds a lot better through the TPAs than tubes. SET amps are great for what they are great for, and bass-heavy industrial is not it.

I like that music too and I think it sounds a lot better through the TPAs than tubes. SET amps are great for what they are great for, and bass-heavy industrial is not it.

And they do acoustical and vocals justice as well. Like I said, no glaring weakness I have heard.

Back
Top Bottom