Is sleeping next to my amplifier bad for my health?

DrTebi

Hello,

I know this sounds a bit like a silly question... but then again, I am curious if there is any truth to it.

I have googled around a bit, and most search results are about electromagnetic fields of cell phones, cell phone towers, WiFi routers etc.

But what about amplifiers? One with a big fat transformer it it?

My common sense tells me, as long as the amp is off, there shouldn't be any magnetic field, so nothing to worry about. But maybe I am wrong?

Hmmm... but why is that? Wouldn't the magnet pull out what the toothbrush couldn't remove?

Hello,

I know this sounds a bit like a silly question... but then again, I am curious if there is any truth to it.

I have googled around a bit, and most search results are about electromagnetic fields of cell phones, cell phone towers, WiFi routers etc.

My common sense tells me, as long as the amp is off, there shouldn't be any magnetic field, so nothing to worry about. But maybe I am wrong?
Nothing to worry about. EM fields are harmless up to the point where they're strong enough to burn you, and then they'll burn you. Nothing subtle about it, and cell phones, cell phone towers, WiFi routers, and stereo amplifiers do not produce a strong enough EM field to do the slightest harm to anything.

Nothing to worry about. EM fields are harmless up to the point where they're strong enough to burn you, and then they'll burn you. Nothing subtle about it, and cell phones, cell phone towers, WiFi routers, and stereo amplifiers do not produce a strong enough EM field to do the slightest harm to anything.
Thanks for that.

A question though: Is any EM emitted when the amp is off at all?

Thanks for that.

A question though: Is any EM emitted when the amp is off at all?
Depends on the amp. On most, the power switch cuts off all power and there is no EM emitted. On a few receivers and probably some amps, there's a standby mode to power remote control sensors and the like. In that case, there may be negligible magnetism from a (usually small) power transformer. Again, harmless. You'll absorb more energy standing in the sun for a few minutes then you'll get in a lifetime of cuddling an amplifier.

Last edited:
Hello,

Wear a tinfoil hat & cape to bed. Speakers have magnetic but don’t know that the field of s receivers will effect you. I mean it’s turned off , cellular phone has more radioactive stuff I believe .
Tube TVs are only ones afraid of magnets.!!!:banana:

Seriously????
Well, someone told me it would not be healthy having a bunch of amplifiers in my bedroom... I had serious doubts about that myself.

Depends on the amp. On most, the power switch cuts off all power and there is no EM emitted. On a few receivers and probably some amps, there's a standby mode to remote control sensors and the like. In that case, there may be negligible residual magnetism in a (usually small) power transformer. Again, harmless. You'll absorb more energy standing in the sun for a few minutes then you'll get in a lifetime of cuddling an amplifier.
Thanks again. 'got the answers I was looking for and will keep hugging my amplifiers :)

Wear a tinfoil hat & cape to bed. Speakers have magnetic but don’t know that the field of s receivers will effect you. I mean it’s turned off , cellular phone has more radioactive stuff I believe .
A cell phone isn't radioactive. It emits electromagnetic waves, but so does a light bulb.

Only thing I could not put besides my bed was a pet tarantula it gave me nightmares , bAsement is. Good spot ,one still in my audio / bedroom just far from bed!
Imagine a pet viper beside your bed ! thats even worse !
I have a tower speaker 3 feet from my bed & a subwoofer no headaches form radio waves.

Well, someone told me it would not be healthy having a bunch of amplifiers in my bedroom... I had serious doubts about that myself.

Thanks again. 'got the answers I was looking for and will keep hugging my amplifiers :)
Some one once told us all the Sky was falling,I wonder how many believed that?

C1D6CC55-2411-4FD6-B651-F512C3D0351E.png

"Stick your head in the microwave and get yourself a tan..."

Back
Top Bottom