What was the most expensive amp of each decade?

Someone could roll over to americanradiohistory.com and review the october audio magazines for the list of the amps and other components in the annual buyer's guide. Those lists might have most of the amps available at the time on just a few pages with the then current price in one column.

That website is a treasure. There really should be a thread for pointing out notable articles. For instance there's an article written by Edgar Villchur in the august 1967 stereo review on what's wrong with loudspeakers that pretty interesting.

I someone checks out the amps in the magazines. I think the year ending in 0 should be the last of that decade, starting the new decade with a 1.

I someone checks out the amps in the magazines. I think the year ending in 0 should be the last of that decade, starting the new decade with a 1.
Technically you are quite right. I was considering using 1990 as the final year of the 80’s but I simplified for the sake of common usage. The Stax amps were first available in 1990 too. Released in late 1989.

In 1983, the Harman Kardon Citation XX power amplifier was AU$15,800 RRP in Australia, complete with its wooden crate and small 'crowbar' to open it.

I'm pretty sure it was the most expensive amplifier in all the tabulated listings at the time over here.
Kostas Metaxas might have had a 24K gold plated model which would give the XX a run for its money. Just guessing, but knowing Kostas.....

When you finish compiling your list you have to convert to modern currency to compare for inflation :D

W
When you finish compiling your list you have to convert to modern currency to compare for inflation :D
What kind of adjustment factor is needed to compensate for the use of different types of components, machine building and other production options that are way cheaper/more expensive used today than the what was used back then? The old gear is not accurately compared to the new stuff with an inflation calculator. We are not talking about a 5-pound sack of potatoes.

Though that said, it may be interesting to see how much the most expensive of eras compared to inflation

Last edited:
Though that said, it may be interesting to see how much the most expensive of eras compared to inflation
Would think the top end had to keep getting higher to keep up with the high net worth set and their climbing incomes. The rich get richer, folks need to build em stuff to take some of that coin from them. And then there is that set that just must have the most expensivest.

Would think the top end had to keep getting higher to keep up with the high net worth set and their climbing incomes. The rich get richer, folks need to build em stuff to take some of that coin from them. And then there is that set that just must have the most expensivest.

I can't argue with that:thumbsup:

Money that shows has always been a motive, that doesn't necessarily mean the purchaser appreciates the purchase's intrinsic value or that the purchase was overpriced overvalued crap. Early adopters frequently fund cutting edge concept that becomes common practice at generally affordable pricing.

To get the thread back on track;

The Audio Note On-Gaku was a very expensive amp for its era(1988). 30,000 UK pounds.

I checked the Audio Annual Equipment Directory for 1999. When I came to the listing for FM Acoustics I stopped. Those who think stratospheric prices are recent take into account this was 19 years ago

FM Acoustic
Series 811 Resolution = $62,500 (each)
They are 1000 Watt mono amps.

I'll look further later. Maybe there is something with a higher price tag. There are at least ten more pages of amplifier listings to check.

Back
Top Bottom