500T in a 440T?

fandersen

I recently acquired my first Fisher, a recapped 440T in nice condition. I wanted to review the changes made to the unit and I was surprised the unit didn't match the 440T service manual. Eventually figured out it's a 500T. The serial number of my unit is 65095D and I was wondering if this is a known factory configuration or someone putting a 440T faceplate on a 500T?

front.png back.png top.png bottom.png

IIRC the 440-T is essentially the Canadian version of the 550-T with changes to reflect Canadian Electrical codes and Minor Cosmetic differences. .

IIRC the 440-T is essentially the Canadian version of the 550-T with changes to reflect Canadian Electrical codes and Minor Cosmetic differences. .
Doesn't look like a 550-T under the hood, but it does look like a 500-T. Did you mean 500-T?

I guess one of the differences is that this unit does not have r863 and cr855 installed. There is a jumper in place of cr855. So far that is the only difference I have found from the service manual.

amp.png

Not sure about the Canada difference, but the 440-T was a lesser receiver sold alongside the 600-T. The 500T was later, but coincidentally has the same front panel. If you have driver transformers, it would be a 440-T.

Not sure about the Canada difference, but the 440-T was a lesser receiver sold alongside the 600-T. The 500T was later, but coincidentally has the same front panel. If you have driver transformers, it would be a 440-T.
It does not have the driver transformers. It has the same layout and boards as the 500-T.
Since my earlier post I have found pictures of other 440-T with the same 500-T layout so it appears to be a factory configuration.

Quite interesting. Sometimes, Google images are mislabeled or the display will show things in addition to what one is searching for, but I found at least 3 different configurations for the 440-T. One has the obvious driver transformers, one has 6 small transistors on the top of the chassis with heat sinks, and one has what appears to be a pair of power modules (look almost like output transformers) in the same space. Found 2 of those pictures, both labeled 440-T, so either both are labeled wrong or there was a 3rd variation.

Back
Top Bottom