I like the Merkur 34c and the Edwin Jagger DE89. I find them almost Identical. Both have a mild blade reveal, so you can put in a ultra-sharp blade like a Feather and as long as you don't push the razor, you'll get BBS every time with no razor burn. Guys that "Cork" their Feather blades make me laugh. You buy an ultra-sharp blade, then you dull it with a cork? What the heck? Obviously they are using a razor with a very aggressive blade reveal, and adjustable razor with too large a blade reveal setting, and/or pushing the razor. I put a new feather in my Merkur Futura Adjustable once and opened it wide. I got the razor burn from Hell. Those Merkur 34c and Jagger DE89s combined with an ultra-sharp blade are a match made in heaven.

Contrarily, if I put a medium sharp blade like a Voskhod in the Merkur 34c or the Jagger DE89, I am always disappointed with the closeness and comfort of the shave. The blade reveal (at least for my skin) is too mild for a medium sharp blade.

Skin, shaving style, blade reveal, blade sharpness, and skin prep (soap and lather) all combine to make your shave awesome or average. Everyone's style and beard and skin is different. There is no universal answer.

Mmmm....interesting about the razor reveal with certain razors. I'll have to try my Merkur 34c with a Feather blade. I tried them with my adjustable and it was a tad too much on the number 6 setting.

Mmmm....interesting about the razor reveal with certain razors. I'll have to try my Merkur 34c with a Feather blade. I tried them with my adjustable and it was a tad too much on the number 6 setting.

In my experience with my skin/beard/shaving style, I can't use a Feather in an adjustable razor, even with it cranked down to lowest blade reveal setting. There are usually variations in that blade reveal on an adjustable. One side may be more open than another, and on some adjustables, you can notice a difference on blade reveal on ONE SIDE - between left and right sides of the same side. Again, I tried it in my Merkur Futura adjustable and got a very bad razor burn. But I was pushing the razor in those days. Perhaps if you use a very gentle touch, you can get away with a Feather in an adjustable. Or if you have skin of leather! :)

Try a Feather in your 34c, Z. Go easy and let the blade do the work. Re-lather between passes and try to avoid re-shaving a lather free area. You will most likely find that a Feather blade in your Merkur 34c is a wonderful combination. Let us know how it works for you. I get my most comfortable shaves after the 1st with a Feather. Shaves 2 - 8 are outstanding, then the blade starts to degrade and I replace it. Your first shave with a Feather requires a feather touch. I don't have a super heavy beard. I'd say average. YMMV.

Wow did I ever take a wrong turn!
I've not completely shaved my face in 35 years? Mostly full beard in that time, but, will go to goatee-like in the summer sometimes.
The last time that I did, I shocked, scared Sarge; she thinking I was a stranger in the house, and she ask that I never do that again.

Me,... If you connect like a thousand of my hairs end to end, you'll eventually make a circle of about 50' diameter. It looks straight, but has this gravity curve thing going on. My beard hairs are that same way. When I shave, they all turn inward, and become ingrown, and I look like a sniveling teen with acne.
Presently, as close to a shave as I could get is with my full size hair trimmer, and I can get down to a stubble. I don't even own a cheap plastic razor.

Shave of the Day October 10

Shaving on the Patio this morning.

IMG_20170808_175054.jpg

Wade and Butcher FBU Straight Razor - Honed on a 12k Japanese Synth and Stropped with a Cordovan strap
Artisan Soap Company Lavender Soap
Vie Long Horsehair Brush
Homebrew Wintergreen Aftershave
Nivea Cooling After Shave Balm

This guy is a scream on Youtube. The Italian Stallion of Shaving, Tony Esposito. His big gig is that he loves the CHEAP Gold Dollar Straight razors from China. I own a few of these. They advertise that they come SHAVE READY, and they typically DO NOT! You generally do have to hone them to get them to shave properly. Tony hones them up and then brags about how great a shave he gets with them. Gold Dollar Straight Razors do have amazing steel. They just need to be honed and stropped to produce a good shave. And they are dirt cheap. You can pick them up on eBay or Amazon for around 10 to 20 bucks. I hot-linked the Acrylic Gold Dollar that Tony is using in this video for you.

He also has a video where he is straight razor shaving his girlfriend's legs. You gotta' love that.

BTW, if anyone is interested in dabbling with a straight razor and doesn't want to spend a couple of hundred on a high end model, this $10 Gold Dollar is the way to go. It is darn near shave ready. Beginners could probably shave with it out of the box. Aficionados will want to touch it up with a 12k stone and then strop it. A GREAT way to get into straight razor shaving for an incredibly low price.
LINK HERE

Last edited:
In my experience with my skin/beard/shaving style, I can't use a Feather in an adjustable razor, even with it cranked down to lowest blade reveal setting. There are usually variations in that blade reveal on an adjustable. One side may be more open than another, and on some adjustables, you can notice a difference on blade reveal on ONE SIDE - between left and right sides of the same side. Again, I tried it in my Merkur Futura adjustable and got a very bad razor burn. But I was pushing the razor in those days. Perhaps if you use a very gentle touch, you can get away with a Feather in an adjustable. Or if you have skin of leather! :)

Try a Feather in your 34c, Z. Go easy and let the blade do the work. Re-lather between passes and try to avoid re-shaving a lather free area. You will most likely find that a Feather blade in your Merkur 34c is a wonderful combination. Let us know how it works for you. I get my most comfortable shaves after the 1st with a Feather. Shaves 2 - 8 are outstanding, then the blade starts to degrade and I replace it. Your first shave with a Feather requires a feather touch. I don't have a super heavy beard. I'd say average. YMMV.

Awesome advice BB. I'm shaving this evening and will report back. :thumbsup: Thanks a lot sir.

The Feather blade with the Merkur was nice, although I require more practice with it. I can definitely feel the nature of the blade....SHARP. The blades edges should soften nicely after today's shave. I haven't used the Merkur that much since I got the Slim adjustable. The Merkur is such an enjoyable razor to use. All in all, a very nice shave and I just can't get enough of the Speick aftershave. Stuff is just glorious.

- Merkur 34c
- Feather blade
- Taylor of Old Bond Street Organic Cream
- Eveready Boar Brush
- Speick Aftershave

imageedit_2_3449338525.jpg

The Feather blade with the Merkur was nice, although I require more practice with it. I can definitely feel the nature of the blade....SHARP. The blades edges should soften nicely after today's shave. I haven't used the Merkur that much since I got the Slim adjustable. The Merkur is such an enjoyable razor to use. All in all, a very nice shave and I just can't get enough of the Speick aftershave. Stuff is just glorious.

- Merkur 34c
- Feather blade
- Taylor of Old Bond Street Organic Cream
- Eveready Boar Brush
- Speick Aftershave

View attachment 1301863

NICE! And a GREAT photo. Thanks for posting. Photos of the shave setup is food for my shaving soul. My guess is you'll love that Feather blade tomorrow. And yes, Speick is glorious stuff. If you ever get a chance, pick up some Irisch Moos Aftershave. I doubt you will be sorry you did.

222105-DEFAULT-L.jpg

Barbasol and a Gillette Sensor for me. Only problem is that Sensor blade carts are getting hard to find. I buy a bunch when I find them on the 'Bay.

Laugh if you wan, t but having to since shaving since high school the mid 60's, the best shave I've found is the Gillette Fusion using a soap and water base with an inexpensive VO5 conditioner on top of that delivers the most comfortable and cleanest shave I've found. ...and that blade lasts for a long time if you pat it dry after using it.

Shave Of The Day October 11

IMG-20181011-155557.jpg

Yankee Wedge Straight Razor recently reconditioned and honed from 4k - 12k, stropped with Cordovan Strop
Truefitt and Hill of London "West Indian Limes" Shaving Cream
The Shaving Station Synthetic Brush
Irisch Moos Aftershave

Last edited:
Shave Of The Day October 12

Is Friday STILL Talk like a Pirate day?
If so, Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of Bay Rum!

In any event, it's CLUBMAN FRIDAY! I make it a point to wear Clubman aftershaves every Friday. They are inexpensive, and classic.

Cut Throat Gents Razor
Proraso Pre Shave Cream and Soap
Omega Big Boar Brush
Clubman Bay Rum Aftershave

IMG-20170804-100846.jpg

Shave of the Day October 13

A Good Lord Shave (Lord Blades)
31vssETDhkL._AC_US300_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

Facon Shavette with Lord Super Chrome Blade (first pass)
Edwin Jagger DE Razor with Lord Super Chrome Blade (2nd-3rd passes)
Proraso Pre-Shave Cream
Col Conk Line Shaving Soap with 2 drops Glycerin added
Vie Long Horsehair Brush
Homebrew Astringent (Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera, White Willow Bark, Tea Tree Oil)
Proraso Aftershave
Old Spice LIME Aftershave (Imported from India) - The original scent - Used as Cologne

IMG-20170802-095255.jpg

Last edited:
Shave Of The Day October 12

Is Friday STILL Talk like a Pirate day?
If so, Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of Bay Rum!

In any event, it's CLUBMAN FRIDAY! I make it a point to wear Clubman aftershaves every Friday. They are inexpensive, and classic.

Cut Throat Gents Razor
Proraso Pre Shave Cream and Soap
Omega Big Boar Brush
Clubman Bay Rum Aftershave

IMG-20170804-100846.jpg

Billy, like your sailboat! :thumbsup:

Shave of the Day - Asian Plum Sunday

Oxford (Germany) Straight Razor
Vie Long Horsehair Brush
A&E Asian Plum Soap
Homebrew Astringent (Witch Hazel - Tea Tree Oil - White Willow Bark - Aloe Vera)
A&E Asian Plum Aftershave Splash

IMG-20181014-173317.jpg

Back
Top Bottom