Newly refurbished EPI 100's, they sound AMAZING!

That is what i was thinking, that the air spring inverted tweeters did not have the ferro fluid .. thanks for confirming. I know i am LOVING these speakers, a friend of mine was over and i had an album playing and he was blown away when he walked downstairs and seen the speakers that the sound was coming from .. he had never heard the EPI 100's and now wants a pair

You bet!

Plus.. “O H!”

I am really surprised there is not much more talk about these vintage EPI speakers .. maybe alot of folks have never actually listened to them. They just seem the perfect match with my Marantz 2245 and Sony ps-x600 turntable, the sound to me is very very good and everyone who i've let listen to them is really impressed

There is, do a search for them and you’ll find plenty. Also, in many, many ways those are very much “just the beginning...” so often times folks get curious and try the 110’s, or come across the 150’s, or the 201’s, 202’s and so forth...

The original 100’s are the base “module” from a wonderfully brilliant speaker designer with an strong pedigree, Winslow Burhoe.

A very knowledgeable former EPI/EPICURE employee is a member here, and at times is a frequent contributor (saea501), most who venture into EPI/EPICURE speakers who heed his advice are often very, very pleased that they did. He really knows how to get the absolute best of many of the orginal and many agree “best” EPI models.

Several other AK members have (or have had) several models, from the 100’s up through the M1000 towers. Enjoy the ride man, enjoy it! :music: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I still have the originals, just wanted to see how good the Human Speaker build woofers sounded ... i am currently replacing the surrounds on the original EPI woofers and will be re-installing those. Going to use the Human woofers in another pair of speaker cabinets i picked up

Here is the Human Speakers PRO 001 8" woofers that are replacements
  • Butyl rubber surround: increased longevity, lower resonant frequency (some early EPI woofers were made this way).
  • Treated cone: seals speaker system better, more attractive, less change due to humidity (most later Genesis woofers were made this way).
  • Treated cloth dust cap: improves linearity, looks better than the exposed wires on most older woofers.
  • Larger diameter "spider" (rear suspension): allows greater linear travel, removes weak link.
  • Acoustically inert "gasket" on front: makes packaging simpler, more attractive.
  • Round magnet structure: identical in weight and function (most later EPI woofers were made this way).
  • Extended pole piece: not visible, but improves linearity.
What's the same and why:
  • Voice coil: the long voice coil winding is critical to linearity, and its high inductance is part of why the woofer does not need crossover circuitry to roll off the high frequencies.
  • Magnet weight and strength, field guide (yoke) plates: again, a critical part of the design
  • Cone material, weight, and density: the exact design of the cone is also part of how the woofer rejects high frequencies on its own.
  • Rear suspension compliance: the larger spider acts exactly like the smaller original one.
  • Free air resonance: although not a "part", the low Fs is important to the extended low bass response.
View attachment 1301808 View attachment 1301809
Didn’t think about trying Pa woofers for replacements . In a speaker ! Haha.cool
Looks higher end did it cost a lot?

Thanks for the info - - I know Human Speakers sells very good replacement parts, but I had never looked at these woofers closely. I was unaware that the replacements had rubber surrounds, which is one aspect of my early 100's that I really like, along with the walnut veneer and masonite tweeter.

View attachment 1301945

Those are exactly what I have. I liked them so much, they are going into a bedroom system I’m putting together featuring the EPI M100s, McIntosh MA-6200, a Dual 1019, and an Aiwa M700 Cassette Deck. I’ve already tested them together and really loved what I heard. More importantly, my wife does too! :naughty:

image.jpeg There are 202's or 250's they were empty so had nothing to go off of to really tell. I know am on the look out for their big brother.

Congrats to you, Tadd. I have a pair of Epi Model 20's that I transplanted to a pair of 201 cabinets. I also used Huw's crossover.

The sound is exceptional, tho they're idle right now. I have too many speakers.

Nice speakers Tadd. I bet they sound awesome. I'm always on the lookout for 100's, and I would like to try the human speakers in some cool looking cabinets
that I have.

I do have a set of M150's that I love the sound and looks of. However, all this talk of ferro-fluid has me slightly concerned.
Mine have the masonite tweeters identical to those pictured in post #10. Does anyone know if these use ferro fluid?

Back
Top Bottom