Whats the oldest car you've ridden in?

Grandma's 1953 Chevy Fleetline. In 1961 from Miss to DC in the fall, no a/c. She replaced it with a 1962 black on black Bonneville Custom Safari wagon with 421 a/c p/s p/b auto. Still in the family. It goes from cousin to cousin every few months. On this plan repair and maintenance cost divided by five have been insignificant since 1978.
What a car I say.

Now THAT is straight-up Gangsta....I can visualize three guys jumping out of that car, wearing pin-stripe suits, fedoras, and .45 caliber Tommy-guns ! :)
We called my '28 Dodge Bros Victory Six the "Elliott Ness" car.
Not mine but very similar.
1928-dodge-bros-victory-six-4-door-sedan-original-nice-model-a-ford-nr-1.jpg

The oldest I remember is my grandfather's 1950 GMC pickup. Also the first road vehicle (i.e., not a tractor) that I drove. If you could shift that thing, you could shift anything!

Never actually, technically rode in it, but I did get to sit in a 1906 Darracq. This was built for speed (Darracq held the land speed record when this was built), and needed two people for it to be driven. One to "drive" the other to be an engineer. Complicated is a word I would use, with no oil pump or fuel pump as we know it a hand powered pressure pump was used to supply fuel and oil. Oil worked on a constant loss system. It was huge. Something like a 14 litre four cylinder engine. An earlier model had a 25 litre four cylinder engine. A friend of mines uncle was restoring it (the Bob Beardsley in the linked article). The engine had been used, so I was told, in one of Donald Campbell's Bluebirds.

https://nzmotorracing.co.nz/2016/02/04/dixon-and-darracq-to-feature-at-leadfoot-festival/

Just found these clips of it being driven.

Oh, and the drivers name is Anne. :)

And I understand it has been slightly modified to be more user friendly ...

Last edited:
Never actually, technically rode in it, but I did get to sit in a 1906 Darracq. This was built for speed (Darracq held the land speed record when this was built), and needed two people for it to be driven. One to "drive" the other to be an engineer. Complicated is a word I would use, with no oil pump or fuel pump as we know it a hand powered pressure pump was used to supply fuel and oil. Oil worked on a constant loss system. It was huge. Something like a 14 litre four cylinder engine. An earlier model had a 25 litre four cylinder engine. A friend of mines uncle was restoring it (the Bob Beardsley in the linked article). The engine had been used, so I was told, in one of Donald Campbell's Bluebirds.

https://nzmotorracing.co.nz/2016/02/04/dixon-and-darracq-to-feature-at-leadfoot-festival/

Just found these clips of it being driven.

Oh, and the drivers name is Anne. :)

And I understand it has been slightly modified to be more user friendly ...

it looks like something that should have a manure loader and a 3 point hitch

it looks like something that should have a manure loader and a 3 point hitch
A trend with the brute force land speed record cars of the era, look up "The Beast of Turin" with the 28 litre four cylinder mill, the largest ever designed for an automobile.

I looks a lot like the 'skinny dipping tractor' that was in the back of someones yard, in the 70's when I was a kid up at my woods place in NW PA.

story says, back in the 50's and 60's when it was all still farm land this couple had a frame that looked like that, with a flat head ford v8, it had a 4spd and a 2 spd range tranny. it had a pump and could put a loader on front and tow stuff. it was used to tow hay wagons and corn bins etc and I do not think was 4x4. but the salacious part was, the couple was fun lovin and would strip down and drive it to wards ranch ponds (about 1/2 mile away) and go for a swim. I do not think it was ever entered in a race, but I hear the woman was rather comely and buxom so their entry would have been by far the fan fav....

My friends 1937 Plymouth. I wired it for him, helped him fit disc brakes, re-timed the Chevy V8 when he pulled the dizzy out without noting where the pkug wires should go etc. etc.

Lee.

I've seen pictures of 4 year old me in my grandpa's Oldsmobile. Looks like a '56 ot thereabouts.

Rumley OilPull.
Those things are interesting. I've seen several in action at Rough and Tumble. They're built much like a steam tractor but with a big single cylinder infernal confusion engine. You can watch the wheels jump every time it hits a power stroke.

Back
Top Bottom