Tell Us Something That Happened To You That Made You Feel Very Old.

I slipped and fell in the bathtub a week or so ago.
Not too very far or too hard, but it did hurt and I ended up with a broken rib out of it.
If that doesn't mean you're old, I don't know what does.

Partially as a consequence....I now find that I can't get under the dashboard in my wife's Honda CRV to replace the stupid plastic bumper which activates the brake light switch.
I would even resort to blindly glueing a penny in place [a common fix] if I could only get the stupid plastic panel preventing access out of the way.
Tried three times now, and had a very difficult time getting out the car on the third. Almost thought I wasn't going to make it.

Between bifocals which don't actually focus at that distance, a hip that likes to pop out of joint, rotor cuff problems in both arms, a bad back, a neck which will only turn so-far, hands that shake, and a broken rib....I may just have to take the car to the shop to replace a $3 plastic part.

I used to be a pretty fair mechanic.

People holding doors for me. Seems to be happening a lot. Sometimes they wait as they see me approaching.

I know that they are being nice, and I appreciate the gesture. But it sure makes me wonder what they see that elicits this behavior.

Today what made me feel really old is I read on Facebook that Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road turned 45 years old today. Man O man I just played a new to me copy of Captain Fantastic yesterday. I feel old. It ain't the age, it's the mileage. :p

makes me wonder what they see that elicits this behavior.

Twice now, I've had Christians offer to buy my groceries at the store If they can "bless me".
All I can imagine is that they think I'm old and homeless.
I guarantee you I've far more money in the bank than either of these folks.

I am of course very polite....but that's only because I'm older, milder, and like to think I may actually have become the gentleman my dear old mother wanted me to be.

Last edited:
More and more...I'm getting this "sir" thingy, and it ain't the clothes I'm wearing!

I just reply, "You've just added ten years to me"...and grin.:biggrin:

Q

Just got new phone service and the last four digits of my number are “2112”.

Told the twenty-something installer: “If I was a Rush fan that number would be sweet.”

He had no clue what I was talking about and had never heard of Rush...

I was buying some records at Savers and there was a young trainee on the register. She looked at the albums and asked her supervisor what they were. She wasn't sure how to ring them in.

Just got new phone service and the last four digits of my number are “2112”.

Told the twenty-something installer: “If I was a Rush fan that number would be sweet.”

He had no clue what I was talking about and had never heard of Rush...

Funny. I'm 62 and can't recall a single Rush tune.
I've no idea what "2112" means either.
Apparently, not my kind of thing.

Funny. I'm 62 and can't recall a single Rush tune.
I've no idea what "2112" means either.
Apparently, not my kind of thing.
Late 1970s Canadian prog rock. As a prog rock guy, I was late to that party discovering them with "A farewell to Kings".

A guy on the radio just explained that if you're 60, you've lived through 1/4 of US history. If you're 80, you've lived through 1/3 of US history.
I've owned my SME tonearm for over 40 years...................

A guy on the radio just explained that if you're 60, you've lived through 1/4 of US history. If you're 80, you've lived through 1/3 of US history.
I've owned my SME tonearm for over 40 years...................

Wow, I have never thought of history in those terms.
Knowing I am getting old is also seeing I can't shoot water as strong / far as before.

Everyone in my office has a nickname, some of them are not too complimentary. The young guns in my office call me Mr. Schaffer.

So, I did in fact have to take my wife's car to the shop to have the $3 plastic bumper on the brake pedal replaced.
Literally took the "nice young man" 10 seconds to do it.
Wasn't gonna charge me, but I slipped him 10 bucks anyway.
I was embarrassed.

Didn't make me feel any better that my bad leg decided to act up that morning...thus the cane was needed.

Back
Top Bottom