Today's JAZZ playlist

I really treasure many of CJRT's programs. "Big Band with Glen Woodcock", "Dinner Jazz", and for sure "My Kind of Jazz with Jeff Healey".
I would love a podcast of them. CJRT has the archives, but they don't share them anywhere on social media. No Youtube, no Mixcloud, nothing.

The way ahead for FM broadcast radio may be cloudy. They may be holding on to thier aces, ones they have left.

Last edited:
I think lots of folks wanted to emulate Bird, but they didn't realize his genius wasn't manufactured in a lab, and it was all of that practicing he had done that created amazing facility, not wishes. He would have been _better_ straight, which is something to think about!

Pops (Armstrong) was a pothead, he loved what he called "muggles." So I guess if we were looking to lay blame...

GJ

Yeah, I agree with you 100% on Bird. He was a virtuoso. His beautiful soul of course was a part of what he did, but he wouldn't have been able to play the way he did if he hadn't practiced and studied. Going a little off topic but somewhat pertinent, I get irked when someone attributes the great playing of a great musician only to talent. Sure, the talent is there, but you have to develop it.

I didn't know Pops called pot, "muggles"! I remember him referring to it as "gage"...

I'm a box set junkie, especially if done right with quality pressings, booklet and packaging. Mosaic has it down. One of my favorites.

Coltrane-LPs.jpg

Yeah, I agree with you 100% on Bird. He was a virtuoso. His beautiful soul of course was a part of what he did, but he wouldn't have been able to play the way he did if he hadn't practiced and studied. Going a little off topic but somewhat pertinent, I get irked when someone attributes the great playing of a great musician only to talent. Sure, the talent is there, but you have to develop it.

I didn't know Pops called pot, "muggles"! I remember him referring to it as "gage"...

My understanding is that Bird was like Trane; almost never took the horn out of his mouth. I know Trane was constantly practicing.

GJ

I think lots of folks wanted to emulate Bird, but they didn't realize his genius wasn't manufactured in a lab, and it was all of that practicing he had done that created amazing facility, not wishes. He would have been _better_ straight, which is something to think about!

Pops (Armstrong) was a pothead, he loved what he called "muggles." So I guess if we were looking to lay blame...

GJ
I’ve been thinking about the whole drugs and jazz thing a lot lately as I read the Getz bio, A Life in Jazz. Many of my faves, Evans, Parker, Getz, even Coltrane and Davis for awhile, had heroin addictions. Can we assume that on many recordings, particularly early on, these guys were high? Parker and Getz often had a a lot of alcohol on board as well. How can you play like that? Like GJ I wonder too if their playing would have been better if they were straight. Don’t see how some of these masterpieces could have been better, but still I wonder. And they all seemed to have so many enablers around them, some of whom certainly didn’t want to upset their moneymakers. Deep and confusing topic.

Actually, considering how many shows Parker missed or just couldn’t make it through, proves that he very often found the threshold.

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about the whole drugs and jazz thing a lot lately as I read the Getz bio, A Life in Jazz. Many of my faves, Evans, Parker, Getz, even Coltrane and Davis for awhile, had heroin addictions. Can we assume that on many recordings, particularly early on, these guys were high? Parker and Getz often had a a lot of alcohol on board as well. How can you play like that? Like GJ I wonder too if their playing would have been better if they were straight. Don’t see how some of these masterpieces could have been better, but still I wonder. And they all seemed to have so many enablers around them, some of whom certainly didn’t want to upset their moneymakers. Deep and confusing topic.

Actually, considering how many shows Parker missed or just couldn’t make it through, proves that he very often found the threshold.

Paul Gonsalves was in that crowd, too. He played like a madman, many a show did he miss. Killed him at the same time as Duke, he was in his mid-50s(?). Read a story about him and Bird and a third person making in boats in Central Park, so if anyone came looking they could drop the goods into the water.

My understanding is that Bird was like Trane; almost never took the horn out of his mouth. I know Trane was constantly practicing.

GJ

There's an interview in which Parker said that there was a three year period where he practiced 11 to 14 hours a day; that's somewhere between 12,000 and 15,000 or more hours in just those three years. He practiced an incredible amount. For players who are spectacularly good, natural ability seems to be a minor factor compared to the capacity for relentless practice! I read a quote by Elvin Jones where he said when he started out he would practice 4-5 hours a day, and he thought he was hot shit at the time, but then he got really serious, and he would practice 8-10 hours a day or more. That's got to be a thoroughly exhausting endurance contest, doing that day in and day out. Kind of mind boggling, really.

There's an interview in which Parker said that there was a three year period where he practiced 11 to 14 hours a day; that's somewhere between 12,000 and 15,000 or more hours in just those three years. He practiced an incredible amount. For players who are spectacularly good, natural ability seems to be a minor factor compared to the capacity for relentless practice! I read a quote by Elvin Jones where he said when he started out he would practice 4-5 hours a day, and he thought he was hot shit at the time, but then he got really serious, and he would practice 8-10 hours a day or more. That's got to be a thoroughly exhausting endurance contest, doing that day in and day out. Kind of mind boggling, really.

When my son is not gigging, he considers 8 hrs on the bass practicing to be, " just getting started ".

Back
Top Bottom