Speaker placement for man cave?

ramairthree

i have an L shaped room over a garage. The vertical part of the L is about 15 x 20. I have a TV, with VHS, UMD, DVD, Blu-ray, receiver, vinyl, cassette, 8 tracks, etc. playing into a pair or CS G911.

This is late 80s, early 90s consumer rack system level stuff.

Behind the seating is the horizontal part of the L that is about 10 x 20 with bar, table, bookshelves, etc.

Is there an optimal way to orient the speakers?

Thanks for any tips.

I would suggest on the long wall of the deepest (15') end. Unless you want to experiment with a 45 degree angled setup, pointing either toward the outside corner of the L, or the inside one. Sometimes it pays to think 'outside the box'.

Speakers should not be against the wall. Put them on either side of the TV.
I agree or at least face them To the direction your listening position. Or something and you will get more bass I’n corners just more boomy less clear.

Yeah, you have them up against the sidewalls. Bad placement. And too much in the corner. If you can move them inward, toward each other, and forward as far as you can stand, and leave a little space around them (not jammed against cabinets) then you should get a real improvement in SQ.

No, the dog is the only thing correct. Very nice dog.

Speakers need to be out of the corner, on the floor, away from side and back walls and into the room - using one thirds is a good starting point

Move all the shelving furniture out of the sound stage for better sound and imaging. Equipment and racks can be on the other walls, even behind or on the sides of the listening seat. The tv can hang in between the speakers on the wall if it must.

The speakers sitting with all the gear on one wall, with all the media, in a shrine like fashion is not good for sound.

Yes. I have usually had them on the floor.

The other part of the L is not where I sit and listen and watch.

Think of the prime location for the listener as about a dozen feet straight back from the tv.

Yes. I have usually had them on the floor.

The other part of the L is not where I sit and listen and watch.

Think of the prime location for the listener as about a dozen feet straight back from the tv.
I mean you don’t need the speakers on the back wall 12 feet is pretty far back. Feel free to try different spots , I use 7.1 ch so even in a room that size is have no problem except my center isn’t the best model. I often use a surround that amplifies center .
Can you hear them well without pushing receiver?

Aren't those speakers supposed to be floor standers?
I tried floorstanders off the ground but it was incredibly awkward and only way to get tweeter right height was upside down. Can this dmaage a speaker at all or no?
They sound fine to me back to normal position, on the floor!!!!!
Ahh the strange things I do to save space ! My fronts were directly right & left of the tv.

I tried floorstanders off the ground but it was incredibly awkward and only way to get tweeter right height was upside down. Can this dmaage a speaker at all or no?
They sound fine to me back to normal position, on the floor!!!!!
Ahh the strange things I do to save space ! My fronts were directly right & left of the tv.
Upside down...sideways... right side up .. facing the ceiling... facing the floor...Will NOT Hurt any Speaker

It that was my situation I'd try and move those tall storage shelves somewhere else in the room Maybe beside your listening position on a side wall or behind your listening position, then you'll be able to get the speakers on the floor and out from the wall a bit. It would look very clean then, It looks a little cluttered the way it is now with all those square cubicals.

Go buy Jim Smith's dvd "get better sound" for forty bucks and there are many different things to consider.

i have an L shaped room over a garage. The vertical part of the L is about 15 x 20. I have a TV, with VHS, UMD, DVD, Blu-ray, receiver, vinyl, cassette, 8 tracks, etc. playing into a pair or CS G911.

This is late 80s, early 90s consumer rack system level stuff.

Behind the seating is the horizontal part of the L that is about 10 x 20 with bar, table, bookshelves, etc.

Is there an optimal way to orient the speakers?

Thanks for any tips.
You really do not want the speakers that close to the outer walls. Since I don't know the distance the seating is from the setup, I can only offer this if you must keep the storage on that wall. Take your two speakers out and the containers they are on, and move the two tall storage units outwards until they meet the outer walls. Move the equipment closest to the TV, and place the speakers on stands, placing the tweeters at ear level when seated, just on the inside of the two large storage units you moved outwards. Toe them in to focus just behind the seating area. Make sure the speaker's front edge is just forward of the storage units.

I would start by placing the speakers in the red ovals, if they are lets say 8' away from each other, then start by sitting the same distance from the speaker.
then try moving closer, does it sound better? Then try moving further away, how does it sound now? do vocals sound huge wide and bloated? or do vocals sound centered and the proper scale (life like).
Beautiful dog BTW.

Speaker Placement.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom