Today's JAZZ playlist

ZEIjcMY.jpg

I’ve been thinking about the whole drugs and jazz thing a lot lately as I read the Getz bio, A Life in Jazz. Many of my faves, Evans, Parker, Getz, even Coltrane and Davis for awhile, had heroin addictions. Can we assume that on many recordings, particularly early on, these guys were high? Parker and Getz often had a a lot of alcohol on board as well. How can you play like that? Like GJ I wonder too if their playing would have been better if they were straight. Don’t see how some of these masterpieces could have been better, but still I wonder. And they all seemed to have so many enablers around them, some of whom certainly didn’t want to upset their moneymakers. Deep and confusing topic.

Actually, considering how many shows Parker missed or just couldn’t make it through, proves that he very often found the threshold.

I ordered that Getz book and it's finally on the way from the seller (used - like new condition). I should have it by today or tomorrow. Looking forward to reading it.

Up well before the Roosters today, gents. Early start, but I'm done at 1 PM.

Just some streaming;

Apple Music at an early breakfast.

STAN GETZ - NEXT STEPS

268x268cc.jpg

15 Songs

EDITORS’ NOTES
Fluid saxophonist Stan Getz also made bold moves as a bandleader. On "Night Rider," he sounds urgently inspired playing over ominous strings. After striking sales gold, he pushed bossa nova further with a big-band album containing the buoyant "Manha de Carnival." And he reinvented himself alongside Chick Corea's electric band on the Latin-saturated "Captain Marvel."

You guys have roosters? I thought it was lizards and sea turtles?

;)

GJ

There are NO snakes in Hawaii. So birds nest on the ground. There are thousands of wild chickens running around because they have no natural enemies other than your errant feral cat. They are all probably descendants of chickens that were introduced in Hawaii by Captain Cook, and have flourished in the luxury of perfect weather, plenty of natural food, and no predators. When a Snake is discovered in Hawaii (because some crazy person smuggles one in or one gets through snake patrol at the Port of Honolulu), it's a 4 alarm emergency. It makes the 6 PM news as the LEAD story. "SNAKE SIGHTING IN OAHU!". Then they show 20 men in uniform searching for the snake to DEPORT it back to wherever it came from, as long as it is OFF-ISLAND. Seriously, it's a VERY big deal. If snakes took a foothold, the local bird population would be decimated.

My ONLY complaint about the peacefulness at my condo is the wake-up calls by the Roosters at the CRACK of dawn. Actually about 45 minutes before. Hawaiian Roosters like to get a jump-start on things. :) No AC in the condo, so you sleep with the windows open. And every morning about 45 minutes before sun-up.... "COCK--A-DOODLE-DOO!" I'm up about 5 stories from the back parking lot, and about 15 stories from the ocean-view side. I can't imaging how loud the roosters must be for locals that live ground level.

There are NO snakes in Hawaii. So birds nest on the ground. There are thousands of wild chickens running around because they have no natural enemies other than your errant feral cat. They are all probably descendants of chickens that were introduced in Hawaii by Captain Cook, and have flourished in the luxury of perfect weather, plenty of natural food, and no predators. When a Snake is discovered in Hawaii (because some crazy person smuggles one in or one gets through snake patrol at the Port of Honolulu), it's a 4 alarm emergency. It makes the 6 PM news as the LEAD story. "SNAKE SIGHTING IN OAHU!". Then they show 20 men in uniform searching for the snake to DEPORT it back to wherever it came from, as long as it is OFF-ISLAND. Seriously, it's a VERY big deal. If snakes took a foothold, the local bird population would be decimated.

My ONLY complaint about the peacefulness at my condo is the wake-up calls by the Roosters at the CRACK of dawn. Actually about 45 minutes before. Hawaiian Roosters like to get a jump-start on things. :) No AC in the condo, so you sleep with the windows open. And every morning about 45 minutes before sun-up.... "COCK--A-DOODLE-DOO!" I'm up about 5 stories from the back parking lot, and about 15 stories from the ocean-view side. I can't imaging how loud the roosters must be for locals that live ground level.

Oh, man, I'm hip. My grandmother used to keep chickens... I was way out in the country in Ghana a few years ago when I almost killed someone's rooster! This thing didn't crow at 6:00 am, or even 5:00 or 4:00. It clucked and crowed ALL NIGHT LONG, and in my deprivation I thought about throttling it. Not wanting to cause an international incident, however, I acquiesced.

Finished:

image.jpg

GJ

Oh, man, I'm hip. My grandmother used to keep chickens... I was way out in the country in Ghana a few years ago when I almost killed someone's rooster! This thing didn't crow at 6:00 am, or even 5:00 or 4:00. It clucked and crowed ALL NIGHT LONG, and in my deprivation I thought about throttling it. Not wanting to cause an international incident, however, I acquiesced.

Finished:

View attachment 1303195

GJ

You showed restraint worthy of a diplomat. Ambassador GJ?

Finished:

View attachment 1303195

GJ

I hear that... literally. Some mornings (probably the mornings I'm a light sleeper), I hear them crowing around 3 AM. I mean, COME ON MAN! Give me a break. 3 am? It must be the lights from the condo complex, or the lights from the Air Force Base lighting up the sky that confuses them. Or maybe they just crow all night long and I don't notice it except on mornings where I'm awake at 3 AM. However, I know they don't crow in the evening. It's very peaceful through at least midnight when I fall asleep.

There would probably be thousands more, but my guess is that some locals hunt them and cook them up. And the Feral cats probably kill some just for sport. Although a wild bird is not going to taste anything like your Safeway variety domestic chicken, eh?

Yeah, I agree with you 100% on Bird. He was a virtuoso. His beautiful soul of course was a part of what he did, but he wouldn't have been able to play the way he did if he hadn't practiced and studied. Going a little off topic but somewhat pertinent, I get irked when someone attributes the great playing of a great musician only to talent. Sure, the talent is there, but you have to develop it.

I didn't know Pops called pot, "muggles"! I remember him referring to it as "gage"...
All those music contest shows irk my wife because of this type of thing.
Not that there aren't people with talent on there that got good because of a lot of practice. Just the general vibe that it's all easy, you just have to get up there and do your thing because of natural talent.

It reminds me of a boss I had. About ten years ago we got to talking hockey, and he asked if I could give his kid some tips on shooting. He never played, but noticed his kid's shot was a bit of a muffin. When I asked him how much time he spent on his own shooting the answer I got was, "He doesn't".
Well how the hell are you going to get good at it if you don't do it! When I was his age(10) I shoveled my back yard and made my own rink. In the months that I couldn't have a rink I was shooting in my basement. Non stop. Busted water pipes, busted windows, a million puck marks on the wall.
There is video footage of Sidney Crosby's basement with broken stuff everywhere. Meh. That was my basement before he was even born.
Somehow he did a little better at it then I did, though. :rflmao:

Paul Gonsalves was in that crowd, too. He played like a madman, many a show did he miss. Killed him at the same time as Duke, he was in his mid-50s(?). Read a story about him and Bird and a third person making in boats in Central Park, so if anyone came looking they could drop the goods into the water.
That Duke book I read over the holidays last year had a bit about him. He and Nance led a group of junkies that were called the Air Force.
There's a really crude quote by Ellington about what he thought of those guys doing heroin.

I hear that... literally. Some mornings (probably the mornings I'm a light sleeper), I hear them crowing around 3 AM. I mean, COME ON MAN! Give me a break. 3 am? It must be the lights from the condo complex, or the lights from the Air Force Base lighting up the sky that confuses them. Or maybe they just crow all night long and I don't notice it except on mornings where I'm awake at 3 AM. However, I know they don't crow in the evening. It's very peaceful through at least midnight when I fall asleep.

There would probably be thousands more, but my guess is that some locals hunt them and cook them up. And the Feral cats probably kill some just for sport. Although a wild bird is not going to taste anything like your Safeway variety domestic chicken, eh?
Ha!

I've got a funny rooster story.
Years ago the guy I worked with got a job doing the cabinets for a small development. About 20 duplexes or so, so 40 units. A lawyer bought a parcel of land on the edge of a small town. The people buying just looked at a field with a pile junk in it and assumed it was part of the development. Nope! Some dude owned it and lived there. Old trailers and shacks strung together like a shanty town. And he kept chickens.
This development was a 55+ thing, and most of the people were retired. Imagine retiring, and having a rooster going off in your backyard every morning!

All those music contest shows irk my wife because of this type of thing.
Not that there aren't people with talent on there that got good because of a lot of practice. Just the general vibe that it's all easy, you just have to get up there and do your thing because of natural talent.

It reminds me of a boss I had. About ten years ago we got to talking hockey, and he asked if I could give his kid some tips on shooting. He never played, but noticed his kid's shot was a bit of a muffin. When I asked him how much time he spent on his own shooting the answer I got was, "He doesn't".
Well how the hell are you going to get good at it if you don't do it! When I was his age(10) I shoveled my back yard and made my own rink. In the months that I couldn't have a rink I was shooting in my basement. Non stop. Busted water pipes, busted windows, a million puck marks on the wall.
There is video footage of Sidney Crosby's basement with broken stuff everywhere. Meh. That was my basement before he was even born.
Somehow he did a little better at it then I did, though. :rflmao:
Our basement wall had these little black crescents too.

Listening to this on YouTube right now. Really enjoying it.

Paging @poppachubby! Where has he been anyway?!! He went AWOL on us in the biggest way. Anybody hear from him?

EDIT: Really enjoying "Darling, Je Vous Aime Beaucoup". I only ever heard Nat King Cole do this. Really great version here by Mance. Great full rhythm section on this LP too.

Haha hey guys!! Been busy with the kids back in school just getting our routine going. I hope everybody is well and I should be making some more regular appearances. Love all you guys. It was Blakeys bday so why not...

Screenshot_20181012-112315_Spotify.jpg

Back
Top Bottom