Packard Bell RPC43 Stereo Console HELP

kb12

Hello!

I have recently purchased a Packard Bell console stereo that does not currently work. I was hoping to gain some advice here.

I believe it has a tube tuner and the amp is solid state.

The unit does turn on (light on face of tuner dial turns on and tubes light up). However, I am not getting any sound. When I flip the speaker selection switch (external, internal, both), I can hear static in the speakers. Other than that, nothing.

There is a wire coming out of the amp that is not hooked into anything. It is in one of the pictures I included. Anyone know where this would plug into? Also, the input selector dial (FM, AM, Tape, Phono) spins in a full 360 degrees and has more stops than just the 4 selections . Maybe this is not engaging as it should?

Let me know if you have any ideas on what to check first. I am new to tube stuff. I have done some basic speaker recapping but no major repairs. It appears everything in this console is in good shape so I am hoping its a pretty easy fix and I can do it myself.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

You will probably have to pull the tuner and look underneath at that selector switch to see what's up with it. That could be the entire problem but maybe try a cd player or phone into the tape input jacks on the rear and rotate the selector switch to see if it makes any contacts with the tape input. If you get any sound, at least you know that the amp is working.

Sorry, my computer is blocking photo bucket so I can't click on them for bigger pics. Just download them directly here. It's probably way easier than using a photo hosting site.

In your 4th pic, that looks like the turntable power cable. You should see an opposite male socket mounted right under the turntable. This will plug in right there.

Thanks for the reply!

I plugged in an rca cable/phone into the tape input jack and it worked! The left channel is pretty weak but got a little better after moving some switches back and forth so it may clear up after some deoxiting. Volume was a bit low as well. Maybe the tubes need replacing? They appear to be original packard bell tubes.

I will pull the tuner today to see if I can figure out what is going with the selector switch.

I deoxited all the switches and the radio is working great now. Turntable doesnt spin but I will likely replace that anyway. Does anyone have any info on what year this was made? Or any info on the amp from the pictures? The model number is RPC-43. Thanks!

Ah yes, a hybrid. Part tube and part solid state. The transistor was starting to take over and things were going to solid state but before the complete transition, many products and company's were still limited by the new technology and could only use transistors in certain circuits like my 1974 Zenith 25 inch color TV FM AM stereo console. The radio receiver is completely solid state. The tv is a hybrid and is all transistor except for the video and horizontal output and picture tube of course. It still works and has one of the brightest softest clearest picture I have seen for a hybrid.

I also own an RCA console hybrid with an all tube tuner/preamp and solid state amplifier.

I deoxited all the switches and the radio is working great now. Turntable doesnt spin but I will likely replace that anyway. Does anyone have any info on what year this was made? Or any info on the amp from the pictures? The model number is RPC-43. Thanks!

Don't replace it, rebuild it. It's built by The Voice Of Music, Gary Stork at www.thevoiceofmusic.com has spare parts, and rebuilt idler wheels, and anything you need, and manuals and restoration guides. He's friendly and helpful, this changer is not rough on records.

not hard to overhaul either. Idler wheel, motor mounts, and a lube job will probably have it running just fine.

HA! I have the exact same console... and I live in Portland. Thought for a second it might be the same unit but there are some obvious differences.

KB12 - If you still own this I would love to hear an update.

Mine "worked" when I got it. I have added a bluetooth and replaced the blown speaker so that I can get a better understanding of how the unit sounds and get an idea of where I need to spend my time. for now I can say the unit sounds terrible. flat. not the least bit dynamic... I am hopeful to breath some life into it.

Back
Top Bottom