Time for new old speakers!!

mdewberry

Love the vintage gear and have the itch to buy a new speaker setup!! Love my Advents/KLH family line. Here's the problem... I want to do the Double Stack Advent OLA's...Can't see any reason why I wouldn't love them. My ears are tuned to the ADVENT sound. Here's the PROBLEM.... Momma says"How much is that gonna cost? I tell her and she says "OK, But, instead of buying 2 sets of speakers, why not buy a single set of higher end speakers for the same money" My reply "what do you have in mind". She says "Klipsch Heresy".

I have read every review for the DoubleStack OLA and its impressive, vice Klipsch Heresy are a love/hate world. Would love to demo the Klipsch, but I can't find anyone with a set to hear them. Both setups can be bought for about the same money and are available within 100 miles of home.

What's a man to do when the wife agrees to spending the money. (I think she wanted to buy the Klipsch for my birthday, but she didn't want to spend that kind of money on stereo gear without guidance)

Thoughts?

I'm an Advent guy myself and IMHO, you just can't go wrong with a stacked OLA setup. So much flexibility for future setups and the sound is just "it" to me. Like everyone says around these parts, YMMV.

I have read every review for the DoubleStack OLA and its impressive,
The reviews came from where?

One thing you should understand in audio is reference point. What that means is if someones reference point is listening to their phone and ear buds, they then buy a Crossly all in one turntable and give glowing reviews of the sound quality of their upgrade this is their reference point.

IMHO this is not much of a reference point and I would not listen to their opinion of sound quality. Sure they like it but they also haven't showed me anything that they compared to that, that could be considered better. If they said they had all sorts of different levels of equipment and decided to go with lesser. Like moving from a McIntosh stereo with Focal Aria 948 speakers to a Crossly all in one turntable and they liked the Crossly better. Well this opinion would matter to me, obviously they had the money to have better, they tried different levels and types of equipment.

Most people give glowing reviews of something they tried thats better than anything else they have tried in the past. It's their pinnacle at that given time with their reference point. You also might be reading someones reference point from years back and they have grown past that and found better or learned to listen better.

Anyway I don't recommend speakers to anyone as I couldn't tell you how they will sound to you, with your equipment and in your space. I do know I would not stack two pairs of speakers off one amp, and it looks in your case a vintage receiver.

I had a pair of Heresy's that I recapped. Then a pair of Altec Bolero's popped up and when compared side by side the unrestored Boleros kicked the Heresy's to the curb. After a recap with Dayton 1% caps they were even better. They're the same money or a bit less as the Heresy's. I've seen a video of someone running a stacked quad of them and he said they were quite good. Right now I'm running a pair of Martin Logan LX16's paired with a set of
B&W 704's and they are a great match. Good luck with what ever direction you take.

I do like my Ohm Walsh 2's. The reciever and turntable combo i use them with are in a whole different area of the house and they sound quite "lovely".
Gotcha! Would be surprised if you were looking to replace them...

The reviews came from where?

One thing you should understand in audio is reference point. What that means is if someones reference point is listening to their phone and ear buds, they then buy a Crossly all in one turntable and give glowing reviews of the sound quality of their upgrade this is their reference point.

IMHO this is not much of a reference point and I would not listen to their opinion of sound quality. Sure they like it but they also haven't showed me anything that they compared to that, that could be considered better. If they said they had all sorts of different levels of equipment and decided to go with lesser. Like moving from a McIntosh stereo with Focal Aria 948 speakers to a Crossly all in one turntable and they liked the Crossly better. Well this opinion would matter to me, obviously they had the money to have better, they tried different levels and types of equipment.

Most people give glowing reviews of something they tried thats better than anything else they have tried in the past. It's their pinnacle at that given time with their reference point. You also might be reading someones reference point from years back and they have grown past that and found better or learned to listen better.

Anyway I don't recommend speakers to anyone as I couldn't tell you how they will sound to you, with your equipment and in your space. I do know I would not stack two pairs of speakers off one amp, and it looks in your case a vintage receiver.

Here is one.
http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/...s-as-reviewed-by-the-absolute-sound-magazine/

Love the vintage gear and have the itch to buy a new speaker setup!! Love my Advents/KLH family line. Here's the problem... I want to do the Double Stack Advent OLA's...Can't see any reason why I wouldn't love them. My ears are tuned to the ADVENT sound. Here's the PROBLEM.... Momma says"How much is that gonna cost? I tell her and she says "OK, But, instead of buying 2 sets of speakers, why not buy a single set of higher end speakers for the same money" My reply "what do you have in mind". She says "Klipsch Heresy".

I have read every review for the DoubleStack OLA and its impressive, vice Klipsch Heresy are a love/hate world. Would love to demo the Klipsch, but I can't find anyone with a set to hear them. Both setups can be bought for about the same money and are available within 100 miles of home.

What's a man to do when the wife agrees to spending the money. (I think she wanted to buy the Klipsch for my birthday, but she didn't want to spend that kind of money on stereo gear without guidance)

Thoughts?
I went from NLAs to stacked NLAs, which were fun, to a pair of Heresys. For my money, the Klipsch would be the way to go.

If you have space for them, you may want to hold out for a good deal on a pair of Cornwalls (which can, on occasion, be found for not much more than most ask for their Heresys, though you might have to put some elbow grease into them). The Cornwalls are a speaker that I could've happily lived with forever, were I not the compulsive type.

If you need the smaller footprint, I would still go with the Klipsch.

What kind of music do you like? What kind of amp/receiver?

Asking as someone that has tried both Klipsch Heresy and stacked NLA Advents. I just sold the Heresy and a pair of the Advents are in the garage. The second set of Advents ended up in the HT system as "Zone 2" speakers. So neither "cut it" as main system speakers, at least for my ears.

If you have the space for stacked Advents, IMHO you can do "better" for the same overall cost.

Vintage equipment could be great buys. Although these are quite expensive, you should also consider the brand and the span it was used. Good luck to your purchase!

Update. Starting digging around the local area and found a set of sleepers. I picked a set of Frazier Mk IV for $50.00! Well thought of from the few posts that I found. Apparently the owner and Paul Klipsch were good friends and shared some of the same design thoughts on the Mk IV and the Heresey! They are in great shape and sound amazing! Also the are a lot more efficient than the Advents! Won't be getting rid of Advents but the Ohm Walsh2 will be headed to storage for now! Thanks everyone!

I still won't pass up a set of OLA's if they come available!

Back
Top Bottom