Packard Bell Model 10RP3...FOR RESTO...HELP please.

ODYOFAEL

The Voice of Vintage HiFi
The seller was firm with his price...$60. The radio was working, turntable turns but will need some lube work. Will need a new needle but was thinking of buying a whole new cartridge. I have no idea where to get it though. I started disassembling last night and here are pictures.

One thing I noticed was there was masking tape under the platter where the idler mates. I am not familiar with this type of TT and this is my first time having one of this vintage. Is there suppose to be something there in place of the masking tape or was it suppose to be bare, pretty much idler againts the platter metal?

Also I noticed one of the rubber grommet on the motor was toast. It was like hard plastic. I took it out and started to crumble. Again, I have no idea where to get parts. Maybe more DIY.

Also radio seem like it's struggling to get signal. Is there a way to fine tune this? I haven't opened the amp unit yet bad surely, I will be replacing the old caps. Will also check the condition of the speakers. Is it a good idea to replace the speakers?

Lastly, the box. Should I just scotch brite and re-oil? I need suggestions on this one.

Here are the pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
well, the changer is easy. Thats a Voice of Music changer, and any parts you could ever want for it can be had from Gary at thevoiceofmusic.com. He's got a number of needles and cartridges and such too. I am kind of curious about the belt looking thing laying in the platter. These aren't belt drive turntables. Whats that from?

The tuner probably needs a rebuild and an alignment. I'd probably work on rebuilding the electronics first before trying to tweak it at all. Quite probably the rebuild will fix the poor performance.

I am kind of curious about the belt looking thing laying in the platter. These aren't belt drive turntables. Whats....
That was the piece of masking tape under the platter. You know, where it meets the idler. Maybe the put some tape because it was slipping?

ah, yeah thats possible. Probably did not work so well. Idlers can be had. I rebuilt a very similar V-M for a friend, and got the idler wheel from Gary for around 30 bucks. Check the motor mount grommets while you're in there. The one I rebuilt had saggy bushings, and it was causing speed problems. The idler wanted to sit between the steps, not in the middle where it goes. looks like at least one of yours is toast too. I think the bushings were $1 each or something fairly reasonable.

Wow that is a cool console. I can't offer any help but you have a find there.

I started cleaning the amp section. Looking at it, looks like the caps are still the originals.

I need help from the experts. What kind of caps are these and are they polarized or not?

Thanks in advance.
2014-02-25 21.45.15_zpsht27y2ax.jpg

The red capacitor is a polarized electrolytic but the blue & yellow ones are coupling capacitors and are not polarized.

The stripe marks the outer foil. They aren't polarized. The foil thing doesn't matter all that much, but if you have a scope or just a handy audio amp, you can determine whats the outer foil on your replacements. I don't really find it to matter all that much, but it gives me some reason to play with the scope sometimes.

http://youtu.be/VP6ZIHXq6Yg

its the same idea using a scope, but you're looking for a larger waveform vs louder sound.

I checked the Sams index, and the 10RP3 is not covered, though 10RP1 (1956) and 10RP2 (1957) are. I can look up the latter one and see how close it is.

I finally got the Packard Bell up and running. I read in one of the threads about no stripping the old finish or you are just looking for trouble. Im a resk taker and like building an engine, take your time, do it right and the end results will be well worth it.

I still have issues on the radio part, probably needs alignment. I have taken care of the turntable and thanks to Gary (VM Audio), it is running great. It will give me years of service (will outlive me for sure).

Getting a slight hum with volume way down but does not icrease if i turn it up. Also having abit of noise coming from one of the tubes. Another issue is the BASS control. Kinda becomes a volume control when you go full on the dial, the sound gets softer and no increase in bass. I already sprayed all the pos with deoxit before putting it together.

very nice 50's look. probably dont want to turn the bass up too high anyway considering your TT is on top of the speaker

Thanks to everyone. To be honest, I was quite surprised with the work I've done to it. It's my first time doing something like this, I mean stripping wood, sanding, etc. it take s a lot of patience really.

Last night I had to take the amp out again and replaced all the coupling caps (again). And two tubes ( AX7 And AT7). I used some JJ tubes that I bought for my Jolida but never got to use them.now she's singing. No more hum, no more issue with the bass pot and no more tube noise. I still have to order two polarized caps and a can cap. After that, I think it's good for another 50 years.

Here is a couple of left over before nd aft pics of the PB emblem. I put a little touch of red to match the the other parts of the console.

That console is super cool to say the least. Really sharp work on your part OD. Vintage Packard Bell products seem to sought after these days by various collectors and hobby enthusiasts (including their PC stuff).

Thanks for posting!

I know I’m only 4 years late but I have the PB10RP2 and I can’t find a needle or cartridge. Can someone help angood old Boy try’n to listen to some Al Jolson records please

Back
Top Bottom