North Carolina anyone?

Cool audio stuff? Do you keep them in the fridge with the six pack?
I'm a Lagavulin man myself. I'd appreciate a six pack of those. I'd even consider having a get together at my place for that :)

No Lagavulin here, but I do have Langevin! :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, is there anyone that might want to get together a bit closer to Greensboro than Clemmons?

I'm in for anywhere in the area. I've seen about 8-10 people that are somewhere in the Triad. We can make this work...

Longest mammal gestation period is an African elephant at 22 months ... we may claim the top spot ;)

Barring conflict, I will make the trip wherever whenever and bring whatever (sounds like a new Abbott & Costello routine)

Just noticed this thread. On the western side of Greensboro not far from Wendover and I-40. I would be game.

Just noticed this thread. On the western side of Greensboro not far from Wendover and I-40. I would be game.
I live out near Bur Mil park.
Here's the most significant parts of my system.
Martin logan hybrid electrostatics, Hsu sub woofer, analog/DSP hybrid crossover. Rogue M180 amps, built in class D amps in woofers and sub woofer. Home made cables mostly.
Modified (fixed!) VPI classic signature turntable with 3D arm/dual pivot. Miyajima Madake cartridge. Otari MX50 tape deck- fully updated, calibrated etc.
Modified and re-tubed Hovland HP100 preamp with built in custom step up transformer. Room response measured and treated with DSP equalization of the LF response.
Perhaps we should exchange info independent of the potential and so far entirely illusory group get together.

Here's the most significant parts of my system.

If you look at my past posts on this site I admit I don't tend to keep it brief.

I am on the lower end of the budget. I have tended to collect some vintage units, many needing fix and repair, mostly toward the lower end most acquired $100 or less. Overhaul and fix up vintage pieces and get back in good working order, some simple and straightforward others how should I put it, extended very educational experiences. The most time consuming frustrating units teach you the most about diagnosis and repair. Then swap in and out decide the keepers and periodically part with some either as gifts or sell. Still learning, starting trying to fix them about this time two years ago. Thanks to MarktheFixer for the list on recapping the SX-535. My first effort, the Yamaha CA-610II with badly distorting channel was second, then the Sherwood (barrel full of monkeys, the Scott has been even more fun).

I notice I tend to like the late 60s early 70s vintage units - something about them if I have them in the system (talking the 2000A and 342-C here) they seem to be on a lot more than some other units. If the 3000A passes the initial tests can't wait to put it on the big speakers. The SX-9000 is supposed to be a good sounding vintage one too but a challenge to work on.

Speakers: 1972 KLH Model 17 normally in the workroom, with Polk 5JR with RD0194 tweeters on standby. Swap Advent Legacy II with Klipsch KG 5.2 in living room. Klipsch currently hooked up likely will get Crites titanium upgrades in the future. KLH Model 403 are my test speakers. Fried an original woofer (did not test for dc at outputs) the $6 GRS replacements from PE made the 403s sound so much better.

Unit collection (these are in working condition):
Pioneer SX-535 (restored - recapped , new lights, and many transistors replaced - was loaded with bad 11 list types and originally sounded like it had a bad cold)
Sherwood S-7200 (restored - recapped amp section had bad transistors lots of noise - amp card now has modern replacements - also 250+ F power supply resistors replaced with setup that dropped temperatures to about 140 F - no longer smells like something is burning)
Kenwood KR-7400 (recapped and new lights - hot power supply resistors replaced with cooler setup - got tired of the burning smell)
Sansui 2000A (recapped splurged with Silmics, new lights, and some transistors replaced including new outputs, acquired wood case)
Yamaha CR-800 (new lights, had blown outputs and fusible resistors, busted fuse holder - evidence indicates cola was spilled into it, future recap)
Yamaha CA and CT-610II ($30 GW find, bad transistors replaced and lights in amp, both have been recapped)
Onkyo TX-4500 MkII (acquired in Pleasant Garden, apparently spent long time in attic. Recapped and new lights, rudimentary alignment got tuner working again but now too far off for Quartz lock to work, hopefully just needs an alignment, maybe has a bad transistor hopefully not one of the tuner chips).
Onkyo T-4087 tuner

Current projects (both cheap fix and repair on auction sites - just attracted bottom feeders):
HH Scott 342-C (was a parts and repair unit garbled mess was all it would produce - now sounds very good when working, still sorting out its issues)
Sansui 3000A (just did amp overhaul and service mods - will tweak bias and figure out its other issues from there - no longer missing knob - when acquired both amp circuits would light up dim bulb tester - tuner seems pretty good - shafts bent like it got dumped and someone put it on ebay)

On the shelf future projects:
Pioneer SX-9000 (past home for mice and stink bugs, decontaminated and sanitized after sinuses upset with it in apartment, blown outputs and full of transistors not known for reliability - tuner seems to be good after replacing cap that had top chewed off - AM board and balance control were toast)
Onkyo A-8700 (selector switch repair gone bad - have fix in mind will see it if works, otherwise back to drawing board)
Several speaker projects to test and design crossovers for

The Technics SA-5470 pictured with the SX-535 was sold locally earlier this year - hopefully has a happy home in High Point.
IMG_20180922_230605.jpg IMG_20180726_001822.jpg IMG_20180703_011624.jpg IMG_20180627_230236.jpg IMG_20180528_151316.jpg IMG_20180518_232747.jpg Sherwood S-7200 Yamaha CR-800.jpg Technics SA-5470 Pioneer SX-535.jpg Front with panel open.jpg

Last edited:
If you look at my past posts on this site I admit I don't tend to keep it brief.

I am on the lower end of the budget. I have tended to collect some vintage units, many needing fix and repair, mostly toward the lower end most acquired $100 or less. Overhaul and fix up vintage pieces and get back in good working order, some simple and straightforward others how should I put it, extended very educational experiences. The most time consuming frustrating units teach you the most about diagnosis and repair. Then swap in and out decide the keepers and periodically part with some either as gifts or sell. Still learning, starting trying to fix them about this time two years ago. Thanks to MarktheFixer for the list on recapping the SX-535. My first effort, the Yamaha CA-610II with badly distorting channel was second, then the Sherwood (barrel full of monkeys, the Scott has been even more fun).

I notice I tend to like the late 60s early 70s vintage units - something about them if I have them in the system (talking the 2000A and 342-C here) they seem to be on a lot more than some other units. If the 3000A passes the initial tests can't wait to put it on the big speakers. The SX-9000 is supposed to be a good sounding vintage one too but a challenge to work on.

Speakers: 1972 KLH Model 17 normally in the workroom, with Polk 5JR with RD0194 tweeters on standby. Swap Advent Legacy II with Klipsch KG 5.2 in living room. Klipsch currently hooked up likely will get Crites titanium upgrades in the future. KLH Model 403 are my test speakers. Fried an original woofer (did not test for dc at outputs) the $6 GRS replacements from PE made the 403s sound so much better.

Unit collection (these are in working condition):
Pioneer SX-535 (restored - recapped , new lights, and many transistors replaced - was loaded with bad 11 list types and originally sounded like it had a bad cold)
Sherwood S-7200 (restored - recapped amp section had bad transistors lots of noise - amp card now has modern replacements - also 250+ F power supply resistors replaced with setup that dropped temperatures to about 140 F - no longer smells like something is burning)
Kenwood KR-7400 (recapped and new lights - hot power supply resistors replaced with cooler setup - got tired of the burning smell)
Sansui 2000A (recapped splurged with Silmics, new lights, and some transistors replaced including new outputs, acquired wood case)
Yamaha CR-800 (new lights, had blown outputs and fusible resistors, busted fuse holder - evidence indicates cola was spilled into it, future recap)
Yamaha CA and CT-610II ($30 GW find, bad transistors replaced and lights in amp, both have been recapped)
Onkyo TX-4500 MkII (acquired in Pleasant Garden, apparently spent long time in attic. Recapped and new lights, rudimentary alignment got tuner working again but now too far off for Quartz lock to work, hopefully just needs an alignment, maybe has a bad transistor hopefully not one of the tuner chips).
Onkyo T-4087 tuner

Current projects (both cheap fix and repair on auction sites - just attracted bottom feeders):
HH Scott 342-C (was a parts and repair unit garbled mess was all it would produce - now sounds very good when working, still sorting out its issues)
Sansui 3000A (just did amp overhaul and service mods - will tweak bias and figure out its other issues from there - no longer missing knob - when acquired both amp circuits would light up dim bulb tester - tuner seems pretty good - shafts bent like it got dumped and someone put it on ebay)

On the shelf future projects:
Pioneer SX-9000 (past home for mice and stink bugs, decontaminated and sanitized after sinuses upset with it in apartment, blown outputs and full of transistors not known for reliability - tuner seems to be good after replacing cap that had top chewed off - AM board and balance control were toast)
Onkyo A-8700 (selector switch repair gone bad - have fix in mind will see it if works, otherwise back to drawing board)
Several speaker projects to test and design crossovers for

The Technics SA-5470 pictured with the SX-535 was sold locally earlier this year - hopefully has a happy home in High Point.
View attachment 1305672 View attachment 1305673 View attachment 1305674 View attachment 1305675 View attachment 1305676 View attachment 1305677 View attachment 1305678 View attachment 1305680 View attachment 1305682

Thank you. Very interesting. Unfortunately it appears that we have a different focus. I am less interested in the equipment and more on the sound that the equipment produces,
At one time I actually designed audio gear and I was heavily into the actual build/ repair thing, but those days have largely past, at least the repair thing. I still design/build amps and I've modified my existing gear, but I don't collect/repair "antique" equipment. Having spent most of a lifetime designing circuits etc. which progressively grew to enormous levels of complexity, the allure of fixing other people's stuff has diminished.

Always good advice :thumbsup:

John,
We certainly consider you part of the North Carolina AK.
In 1775 our border extended to the west coast :deal:

08VA-1300-Colonial-Williamsburg-VA.jpg

Before the split you capital was Charleston.

Thank you. Very interesting. Unfortunately it appears that we have a different focus. I am less interested in the equipment and more on the sound that the equipment produces,

You assume too much. The point of collecting a group of units and refurbing them is all about the sound they produce. Each has a different sound character to them, some more appealing some less. Same with the speakers. Also tend to believe the best bang for the buck so to speak tends to be in the lower middle to middle range cost wise. No real need to own top notch stuff. Swap them in and out, figure which ones are more enjoyable to listen to and which ones are not. Which ones when they are in a setup its on and playing more than some others. Just sit there, close your eyes, and listen closely to what is being produced. The group is probably about as large as it will get, the time to let go of some is coming soon for some its already here. I find it interesting that the two I tend to find most enjoyable to listen to so far are among the oldest and relatively modestly powered (30-35 wpc).

I too could look at your list of equipment and conclude we would not likely hit it off. Different strokes for different folks. Most streets go two ways.

I too have an engineering background, BSME and MSME, engineering part of career spent largely in noise and vibrations - testing and analysis. That was a long time ago.

Last edited:
You assume too much. The point of collecting a group of units and refurbing them is all about the sound they produce. Each has a different sound character to them, some more appealing some less. Same with the speakers. Also tend to believe the best bang for the buck so to speak tends to be in the lower middle to middle range cost wise. No real need to own top notch stuff. Swap them in and out, figure which ones are more enjoyable to listen to and which ones are not. Which ones when they are in a setup its on and playing more than some others. Just sit there, close your eyes, and listen closely to what is being produced. The group is probably about as large as it will get, the time to let go of some is coming soon for some its already here. I find it interesting that the two I tend to find most enjoyable to listen to so far are among the oldest and relatively modestly powered (30-35 wpc).

I too could look at your list of equipment and conclude we would not likely hit it off. Different strokes for different folks. Most streets go two ways.

I too have an engineering background, BSME and MSME, engineering part of career spent largely in noise and vibrations - testing and analysis. That was a long time ago.

Well, hardly an assumption- I did use the word "appears"- which is valid based on the content of your screed.
I took a very different approach to the same goal- over the last 40 years I've gone through a series of iterations which has settled down into a supposedly final state. At one point I was building amps/speakers myself and for a long time the best sounding combo that I had was a pair of home made Chris Roger's Pro9TLs built after he made a presentation to the Portsmouth UK Audio Society that I was a member of, a pair of home made 30W/ch KT66 based amps and a Linn Sondek with SME 3009 arm and a Fidelity FR1 Mk something or other and a home made and designed battery powered transistor head amp, very similar to what is the "Leach amp" but entirely my own design. However, the combo lacked- something- and it took me quite a few years and an extended journey of discovery to find something definitively better.
I'm not into swapping- it's a chore to exchange gear and set things up, but I would be very happy to listen to your choices- I don't get many opportunities to do that these days.
Would you be interested in getting together? I'd be happy to come out to Wendover Ave.

It is just right now have a bit much going on in my life. Too much on my plate - working my way through it. Future may mean after Christmas. Most of my vintage unit overhauls have been in the dead of winter the last two years.

Can anyone suggest good service tech or shops in NC to refresh/repair/update a few old pieces I've picked up,, Technics sl-1200 table, Technics rs-631 cassette deck and a Sony str-7065a receiver? I'm in the Kannapolis area but willing to travel to drop off. I've been out of the game so long and just not up to date with the better service guys around and would appreciate the input.

Recently had a telephone conversation with Mike Johnson, Carolina Computer and Electronics, Wilmington, NC. Advertises pre-1983 specialization.
Will do recap's but don't have any work he's done. Tel is 910 262 0277.

Hey Y'all... I just recently moved from Raleigh to Chapel Hill and at age 66 I realized I need to divest some gear so if anyone is interested we can start conversation(s) even for the hell of it. I'm not into the boxing and shipping task so I'd rather connect w/members close by.
Jeff

Hi all, new to group and pleased to find you.
Kernersville has a new public library scheduled to open in November. I'm sure it will have meeting rooms available like the current library.
I used them for several clubs and would be glad to set up a meeting for our Triad group.
Several of this gathering are known to me by your forum activity.
I greatly admire you who are able to repair, refurb, and mod the vintage electronics that I can only appreciate.
Winters approach make this a timely opportunity to get this regional group active!

Great, you get the Eastern part, I'll take the Charlotte area. Now we just need all the people that have posted here to PM us with their contact info, and volunteer to host an event (there should be a good portion of people with good systems on here to do so). Do you want to host the first GtG at your place?

Again, I don't have my system hooked back up since moving.

I guess this will never happen as everyone likes to post up that they are interested, but nobody steps up to the plate to offer hosting a GtG. That has to happen first, then a date needs to be agreed upon.

Back
Top Bottom