If you have these batteries in your remotes, you'd better check.....

WaynerN

Addicted Member
I thought I had purged the house of this brand, but apparently missed a remote or two the other day. The AAA and AA size leak like a bastard, and it doesn't matter what year they were installed, they all leak.

I have switched brands because of this. I also had the brand in wall clocks and portable AM radios that I collect.

IMG_1566.JPG
IMG_1565.JPG
IMG_1563.JPG
IMG_1564.JPG

They will eat up the metal of the battery contacts if not addressed.

It's a good brand - counterfeits? (we get counterfeits of this brand over here from time to time).

It's a good brand - counterfeits? (we get counterfeits of this brand over here from time to time).

Well if counterfeits then they've been around for 4 decades, stopped using Duracell in the late 70's after they ruined an expensive boombox. The batteries were only a few weeks old too, never had this problem with Eveready Energizers.

This is why I use LSD NiMHs in everything now.

Duracell Ion Cores at the right grocery store (I can't remember if it's Safeway or Giant) are $11ish a 4-pack. Rumor has it they are relabels of Sanyo now Panasonic Eneloop XX which have traditionally been great cells. Get yourself a good smart charger like a Maha C9000 and never look back. Enjoy a life free of distilled water, rice, and Deoxit.

Well if counterfeits then they've been around for 4 decades, stopped using Duracell in the late 70's after they ruined an expensive boombox. The batteries were only a few weeks old too, never had this problem with Eveready Energizers.

Funny - I avoided the Eveready line for just that reason, but have had leaks with the coppertops as well.

They look like Duracells, but, I've never had a problem with them--EVER. I think you got a "good deal" on some cheap Chinese counterfeits. I have Duracells in flashlights that I keep in my truck--they go from well over 100 F in the summer to well below 0 F in the winter, and they are just fine after 4 years (I check them periodically in case I need to replace them)--and I've NEVER had one fail like that in a remote. If the price was "too good to be true"--it probably was.

These are not counterfeits unless ACE hardware or Target are selling them. The brand I use now is the rechargeable Eveready Energizer and have not had one issue.

Agree on the rechargeables. I like the Fujitsu cells. Also, be careful in selecting the charger. Many of them will only charge in like pairs which results in overcharging the less discharged of a given pair. The Panasonic BQ-CC17 charger will do 1, 2, 3, or 4 batteries of any combination of AA and AAA, charging them individually and stopping once each cell has been fully charged.

QC of all alkalines has gone way downhill in the last 10 years or so. I refuse to use any alkaline cells anymore. The risk is not worth it when the solution is available.

QC of all alkalines has gone way downhill in the last 10 years or so. I refuse to use any alkaline cells anymore. The risk is not worth it when the solution is available.
I don't know about the last 10yrs, as far as I'm concerned Duracells have always been defective pieces of.........

Ruin my radio once, shame on you, ruin my radio twice, shame on me lol

A local store had these AA branded Sony on sale. A 24 pack for $8 was too good a deal to pass up. They've lasted and not leaked a bit. I stopped using the name brands awhile back due to cost, but thanks for giving me another reason.

Duracell is the only battery I buy when it comes do disposable batteries now. the charge seems to last longer then energizer, rayovac or eveready. I have had problems with all batteries leaking if left in something for to long doesn't matter the brand.

Once I went into ace hardware and bought a package 10 of energizer C batteries for a portable radio and all 10 were dead out of the package. Exchanged them and the next 10 were also dead. That was weird.

For rechargeable I use around the house I have some Duracell AA batts I bought 8 years ago or so and they still work great today.

I learned to not trust alkaline batteries made anywhere by anyone past a couple years without checking. NiCads have ruined a Tektronix pocket o'scope and other stuff. So far, no problems with Li cells, so far.

and I just checked. Batteries in DSP remote leaking. Coppertop. Scoured the house looking for more.

Back
Top Bottom