Shure M91ED & Jico SAS - omg!

toneriderMUC

So I have this M91ED on my Dual 502 turntable and I really like it. As usual in this hobby, I was pondering possible changes and improvements - and finally, after a couple of years of waiting, finally got a Jico SAS.

I was always wondering, will I be able to hear the difference from a 200€ stylus - is it worth it on such an old cartridge? Short answer - yes. YES.
This combination sounds downright amazing. The details, the air, the colors. Its effortless and beautiful.
I am listening through a Sansui Au x701 amp and JBL L112 with new crossovers (Jantzen / Troels Gravesen) and its truly glorious.

So if anyones wondering if a SAS is a worthwhile improvement for the older Shures - definetely. I am just afraid there is no going back to a lesser stylus after hearing this.

I have this combo I could not agree more. Was raised on this cart and know it well. Upgrading the stylus is the way to go.

So I have this M91ED on my Dual 502 turntable and I really like it. As usual in this hobby, I was pondering possible changes and improvements - and finally, after a couple of years of waiting, finally got a Jico SAS.

I was always wondering, will I be able to hear the difference from a 200€ stylus - is it worth it on such an old cartridge? Short answer - yes. YES.
This combination sounds downright amazing. The details, the air, the colors. Its effortless and beautiful.
I am listening through a Sansui Au x701 amp and JBL L112 with new crossovers (Jantzen / Troels Gravesen) and its truly glorious.

So if anyones wondering if a SAS is a worthwhile improvement for the older Shures - definetely. I am just afraid there is no going back to a lesser stylus after hearing this.

Good news.

I discovered the greatness of the V15-III /Jico SAS combo on my SME 3009 improved arm several years ago. This is the 6.5 gram fixed headshell version.

The basic boron SAS is awesome. I have tried other cheaper styli and they fall short. I like the SAS even a bit better than the OEM VN35E which is sacrilege to some because the SAS is close but not exactly the same as the OEM. Of course it is not exactly the same, the SAS stylus shape is more elaborate. I have not heard the OEM VN35HE which would be a more fair comparison to the SAS.

To be honest the V15-III on any other arm I have tried it on falls short compared to the sound I get with it on the low mass SME.

Synergy.

Reading the article, I just lost my respect for Michael. He refers to the M97xE as 'soft, warm, and wonderful'. Perhaps with the JICO, it is a killer, but out of the box [and broken-in] it sounds like shit. Sad that he is losing his precious hearing.

Reading the article, I just lost my respect for Michael. He refers to the M97xE as 'soft, warm, and wonderful'. Perhaps with the JICO, it is a killer, but out of the box [and broken-in] it sounds like shit. Sad that he is losing his precious hearing.

Definitely agree. Out of the box the 97 sounds like crap. Tried two thinking the first was a dud, wrong! Perhaps with a Jico.....

Eric

I got an old Technics SL-Q2 a few years ago. It came with a Shure M95HE, but the stylus was shot. I bought the SAS stylus for it and it was a giant transformation. Cartridge is now mounted in my Empire 598MKIII.....it is excellent.

I wonder about quality control on the M97xE. I've tried a few here over the years. One sounded good. The others were disappointing. One even dropped a channel and had to be thrown out. I never had one with an upgraded stylus though.

I got an old Technics SL-Q2 a few years ago. It came with a Shure M95HE, but the stylus was shot. I bought the SAS stylus for it and it was a giant transformation. Cartridge is now mounted in my Empire 598MKIII.....it is excellent.

Empire 598 is a great turntable.

I wonder about quality control on the M97xE. I've tried a few here over the years. One sounded good. The others were disappointing. One even dropped a channel and had to be thrown out. I never had one with an upgraded stylus though.

The later ones were products of Mexico I believe. I have read about defect issues.

I also had the M97xE only to later sell it. I just thought it was "boring". I often wondered if it was the table I had it in or how it might have sounded with a SAS or Vivid Line stylus. Too late now.

I also had the M97xE only to later sell it. I just thought it was "boring". I often wondered if it was the table I had it in or how it might have sounded with a SAS or Vivid Line stylus. Too late now.

The old Shure M 97HE ERA IV cartridge was the one that got me going further down the SAS stylus route after trying it out on the Shure M91x cartridge. :thumbsup:

Try it, sure is much melodic than than the newer Shure M97xE. :)

Mine was boring too. The only Shure I had that I didn’t like. The Mexican stylus wore out fast and was defective.

I bought a VL for it and for my M35x body. Excellent move. Very nice combo. The VL stylus is a big improvement over stock. I don’t care if it’s different, I like it better by far.

Mine was boring too. The only Shure I had that I didn’t like. The Mexican stylus wore out fast and was defective.

I bought a VL for it and for my M35x body. Excellent move. Very nice combo. The VL stylus is a big improvement over stock. I don’t care if it’s different, I like it better by far.

Hyperellipticals seem to be well regarded.

I got an old Technics SL-Q2 a few years ago. It came with a Shure M95HE, but the stylus was shot. I bought the SAS stylus for it and it was a giant transformation.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I purchased an M95ED. Was absolutely magical. Wiped the floor with the M91ED it had replaced.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I purchased an M95ED. Was absolutely magical. Wiped the floor with the M91ED it had replaced.

The first Shure M95xx on one of the turn tables had no stylus.

I put a SAS in it, and it was quite melodic and enjoyable.

The second Shure M95G came on a friend's AR XA that he uses for playing opera LP - very good for voices ( he claimed ). :idea:

Back
Top Bottom