Television System

welcomdmat

I really enjoy two channel audio, but I don't know that much about home stereo/ movie audio. I am asking a question that has been answered many times, but I cannot find the thread I am looking for.

I have a basic Sony 5.1 receiver that is showing signs of age. I have rewired the system three times, and it keeps going into protection. I have changed speakers, used it with and without the sub, and removed the center channel.

It is not something that I want to rebuild. It was purchased from Radio Shack roughly 100 years ago (or at least in the 90s) with a nice compliment of RCA speakers.

I use it as a 3.1 system, and I do not have any plans to do anything more. I have the speakers for a 5.1 system, and I am not that worried about it. Additionally, I don't really plan on spending that much.

I do not use the tuner.

Is there a receiver or integrated amplifier out there that meets my needs? I have seen plenty on Amazon and the like -- I am sure they are reasonable. I am asking here first because of the knowledge.

Mentioned earlier -- I am sure there are other threads. I am searching the wrong thing. Links to other threads will not hurt my feelings.

I would check your local thrift, or classifieds often. AVR depreciate like you wouldn't believe. Should be easy to get a fairly modern one for $100 or less. Heck, I've had someone just give me a 1 year old pioneer vsx-1024k just for buying his center speaker for $20

If you do go for a used AVR, make damn sure the original remote comes with it. And, I'll second that Accessories4less recommendation. I've bought several items from them and have never been disappointed.

I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V479 for $209 from Accessories4Less (for bedroom). It is indistinguishable from new. All the accessories were included. The batteries for the remote were in plastic shrink wrap. It came with a 1 year factory warranty.

Read up on "network" AVRs like the Yamaha RX-479 mentioned above. Streaming, internet radio, playing flac/mp3 files, and other stuff is really nice though it may take a while to figure out what you have been missing. Welcome to the future.

Good luck!

Read up on "network" AVRs like the Yamaha RX-479 mentioned above. Streaming, internet radio, playing flac/mp3 files, and other stuff is really nice though it may take a while to figure out what you have been missing. Welcome to the future.

Good luck!

My 9 year old rx-z7 had all those features. But a lot of them stopped working thanks to support stopping. Which I suspect will happen to the newer devices in due time.

My 9 year old rx-z7 had all those features. But a lot of them stopped working thanks to support stopping. Which I suspect will happen to the newer devices in due time.

That doesn't sound good. Have you performed the latest firmware update? I'm really curious since I've been looking at an RX-Z7 on CL and my RX-A2010 and RX-A710 are not much newer.

Immediately upon connecting to my home WIFI the Yamaha downloaded the latest firmware update. No action on my part was necessary. The downloaded Android app running on my Amazon Fire tablet has some very nice features. It doesn't allow for using the supplied mic and YPAO (auto eq). You need the TV display for that. OTOH for everything else It's much easier to use than the TV menu driven controls.

That doesn't sound good. Have you performed the latest firmware update? I'm really curious since I've been looking at an RX-Z7 on CL and my RX-A2010 and RX-A710 are not much newer.

I did, but Rhapsody doesn't even exist anymore, and Apple already ditched the ipod connector. The thing never was able to play flac directly, which is a shame since the unit as really good DACs, but using a PC to HDMI, pcm stream flac files works fine. I believe the internet radio no longer works as well, but the manual stated that service could be discontinued at any time. It's still a very capable unit that I have no qualms about using as my main, and have no plans to upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom