Does anyone know what the green stuff is on the screws...

gkargreen

and nuts on these Sansui's? I am guessing not a thread-lock compound, maybe a green lacquer to keep the nuts from coming off? Thanks

I think it probably is thread lock of some kind, it might just be varnish, but its purpose I think is thread locking. With the added benefit as Doug mentioned, that it would also disclose tampering. I've seen thread lock used in electronics assembly many times, and I particularly remember the thread lock we used to use (made by Loctite IIRC) being a dark green colour - it smelled vaguely of solvent, but had an 'earthy' kind of smell. ;)

Last edited:
John, you must be as old as me!
Many, many years ago when I was in electronics assembly we used the very stuff that the OP talks about but for the life of me I can't remember the name!
It was a form of varnish IIRC and came in red and green colours and was applied to screws and nuts after fitting up panels etc during mechanical assembly as a form of cheap and easily applied threadlock and to indicate that everything was fitted and checked.
My heads going to hurt until I remember the name of the stuff we used.
Smelled like nail varnish.

Thread lock in a apply after type. Jus to hold it a little.

I use a bottle of nail polish, special color to do this and it identifies my gear so if it is sold on the bay and someone swaps a board...I got picture evidence which the bay would probably need to have notarized with the way they are siding with buyers of vintage gear and their 180-day return option.

Japanese manufacturing techniques of that era would often put a dab of paint on critical fastener to indicate they had been tighten. In some cases this step was added during production if inspections or warranty claims indicated a particular fastener was being left loose in production.

- Pete

Japanese manufacturing techniques of that era would often put a dab of paint on critical fastener to indicate they had been tighten. In some cases this step was added during production if inspections or warranty claims indicated a particular fastener was being left loose in production.

- Pete
Seems right, basically green nail enamel.

Thanks, everyone, that is what I am thinking as well, some kind of nail polish or varnish to hold nuts in place after assembly, I see this stuff all the time in Japanese gear both tube and SS amps/receivers that I have worked on.

Thanks, everyone, that is what I am thinking as well, some kind of nail polish or varnish to hold nuts in place after assembly, I see this stuff all the time in Japanese gear both tube and SS amps/receivers that I have worked on.
I'm also thnking possibly qc inspector checking and sealing satisfactory work.

Sounds like loctite , we used to use the blue, which was meant to be removable, but they also carried a red and/or green for a more permanent thread lock. A few drops on the thread and then the friction of turning the screw or nut helped to solidify the compound.

Sounds like loctite , we used to use the blue, which was meant to be removable, but they also carried a red and/or green for a more permanent thread lock. A few drops on the thread and then the friction of turning the screw or nut helped to solidify the compound.
They didn't use Loctite in electronix as a rule, just the clear green enamel-like dope.

John, you must be as old as me!
Many, many years ago when I was in electronics assembly we used the very stuff that the OP talks about but for the life of me I can't remember the name!
It was a form of varnish IIRC and came in red and green colours and was applied to screws and nuts after fitting up panels etc during mechanical assembly as a form of cheap and easily applied threadlock and to indicate that everything was fitted and checked.
My heads going to hurt until I remember the name of the stuff we used.
Smelled like nail varnish.

Glyptal paint or known as "Glyp"

I used to tune duplexers , and "glyp" was put on the threads after tuning.

Last edited:
When I was a Sony Preferred service station we could purchase the green translucent screw/nut retainer in a small bottle directly from Sony (it had a part #). I think it is lacquered based because dried very quickly and could be removed with MEK.

Back
Top Bottom