Interested in the Dahlquist DQ-10

Tdogzthmn

I recently heard a pair of these speakers in a shop one day and originally mistook them for the Quad ESL 57 but was corrected by the owner that they were in fact Dahlquist DQ-10's and the best speakers he has ever owned.

I have explored DIY open baffled designs before and owned a pair of Vandersteen 1Ci which share similar qualities. After hearing them for myself I was very impressed with their abilities!

I'd like to know how many DQ-10 owners there are on AK and what their thoughts are on these unique speakers.

Sold em, liked em, bought Time Windows instead since they were less critical of amps, placement and such. Great choice.

But now that I have a place to listen, I have collected a number of nice speakers, tops from what I sold and that includes 2 sets of DQ-10s. Recently got a set of stands and a set of parts to build the second set of stands and am powering one pair with 50 watt tube amps. Folks dropping by, our audio group thinks this might be the best sound of my system but I'm not letting the Magneplanars go anywhere. The DQ-10 is a very special speaker.

Of the approximately 50,000 DQ-10s made I'm sure there are maybe 100 of them here on ak.

They need to be higher than the 3" legs they came with, higher than the two different stands available for them and positioned properly but they can sure paint a picture. Along with the taller stands I have, both pair are recapped and mirrored early models from before the mylar caps or the factory mirror-imaging. I've fixed that.

A search of the DQ-10 will bring you lots of threads about rebuild, model differences through the years and such. Hopefully, we'll get a bunch of folks who have them stand up and be recognized in this thread.

On my bucket list to try. From the extensive reading on this site I have done, they do something rather magical.

Hey Blue Shadow!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the DQ-10s. I forgot to mention that I also owned a pair of Magnepan MMG's and did find them to be very capable with certain genre's but missing punch in the low end.

The DQ-10's I listened to had solid extension top to bottom and body to the sound.

There are a lot of DQ-10 owners here (plus some people with later models). I'm not one of them; I wanted a pair at one point but then I started my Infinity collection and haven't looked back.

Ive yet to hear any better speaker
But thats because ive yet to hear any true competitors

I did snag a couple 30" Gold Ribbon Concepts psuedo-ribbons on a lark at auction
Planar magnetic
Same type as in the carver amazings etc

Those are incredibly lifelike compared to dq10
Im working/planning on a set of open baffle 15" magnavox passively crossed over..
i guess around 300hz where the ribbons are currently with their simple 200mf caps which are Solens

Might be really clean and articulate with OB bass if i dont screw it up
Might be relatively special

Just listening to the ribbons alone sound very nice

I modded my dq10 to my limits. No wiring upgrade
Im sure theres better
But some out there arent so sure for less than $$$ and theyve heard more systems than I have

The DQ-10s replaced a pair of Klipsch Heresys and taught me how a properly functioning multi-way loudspeaker system should sound. I am forever in their debt.
Fwiw, Saul Marantz was their godfather.

Not an owner, but I've heard them. Very nice indeed.

The do look like Quad ESLs to the untrained eye.

My room is too narrow to support them unfortunately.

I have owned a very early model DQ 10's for 36 years, and they have held up very well. With the right gear driving them, in a good room, positioned properly they can produce a good quality sound stage. They do require a very good bit of electronics to drive them to their best. They will not give you the punch on the bottom that you are looking for. Mine run with a small sub, to make up for the sharp roll off below 40 hz. You may find that this will fix your MMG's too if you buy a QUALITY sub or two. I have not heard the MMG's but I do think they may come out on top with a quality source. If you do chase a pair, be sure you get the mirrored later pair. I see them around here in New York for $300 to $400 in fair shape. I am sure you will pay more out there.

I have owned a very early model DQ 10's for 36 years, and they have held up very well. With the right gear driving them, in a good room, positioned properly they can produce a good quality sound stage. They do require a very good bit of electronics to drive them to their best. They will not give you the punch on the bottom that you are looking for. Mine run with a small sub, to make up for the sharp roll off below 40 hz. You may find that this will fix your MMG's too if you buy a QUALITY sub or two. I have not heard the MMG's but I do think they may come out on top with a quality source. If you do chase a pair, be sure you get the mirrored later pair. I see them around here in New York for $300 to $400 in fair shape. I am sure you will pay more out there.

My primary amplifier is a rebuilt Sansui AU-517. It’s about 65wpc but I find it to be very capable driving demanding speakers.

IMO the AU 517 will not do it. Maybe a 9090 db would work. You will hear the amp straining on the top end at good levels. Blue Shadow is right about a good tube amp, but they are too expensive to buy or keep running.

I have had a pair for the last 10 years or so and would not sell them sell them ever, of all my speakers that I currently own and have owned they are by far my favorite. I agree with Freddymac2 the AU 517 will not bring out the best in the DQ 10's they love headroom and 100 watts is probably the minimum you need to get quality sound from them. I currently run mine with a Yamaha M85 with 260 watts a side and they sound heavenly! For the money I don't think you can find a better sounding speaker.

I have had a pair for the last 10 years or so and would not sell them sell them ever, of all my speakers that I currently own and have owned they are by far my favorite. I agree with Freddymac2 the AU 517 will not bring out the best in the DQ 10's they love headroom and 100 watts is probably the minimum you need to get quality sound from them. I currently run mine with a Yamaha M85 with 260 watts a side and they sound heavenly! For the money I don't think you can find a better sounding speaker.
Perhaps the DQ-20/20i. The end game for the sealed woofer series.

have one pair now.. getting ready to pick up another pair for 300..there nice..and cool to look at..last pair I had let got to a guy in Taiwan for a large stack. .couldn't resist

have one pair now.. getting ready to pick up another pair for 300..there nice..and cool to look at..last pair I had let got to a guy in Taiwan for a large stack. .couldn't resist
How do I do that? I could use a large stack.

How do I do that? I could use a large stack.

Here you go.

165517497.jpg

Back
Top Bottom