Calling All Yamahas. Time to Post Your Pics

The HA-1 is an excellent head amp.

I occasionally switch between the Krell and the HA-1 + a home brew phono stage built by AK'er M Jarve. Both sound great.

See post 24 in the following thread:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ad-amps-folks-are-using-or-suts.668294/page-2

The HA-1 has a really nice tone but I got some hum with mine so I gave it to my tech to look over. My preamps are all dead quiet so not sure of the cause. It sounded even more organic than the C-4' s internal phono.

Well yet another vast improvement...I decided to re-level my rack today and figured, ah why not move the NS-1000x's to the outside...wow...even better! I guess they really prefer a wide road. My NSF-P901's (pictured) do well in virtually any position as do my NS-690's (either way you get a nice image) but the 1000x's can be challenging to get right (you finally get a nice discrete at this width).

View attachment 1298367

So I'm running the M-85 tonight with the VU's:

1013181954.jpg

I also played with the pots on the NS-1000x's and just tinkering made a noticeable improvement to overall transparency (never any crackle before or after). Are they typically prone to corrosion? I'm really starting to like the GT-2000/C-2x/M-85/NS-1000x signal chain. The imaging is really engaging.

The HA-1 is an excellent head amp.

I like the HA-1, too!

As an aside, I have an HA-2 as well, which I bought (very cheaply I might add..) before knowing it needed a dedicated headshell to go with it. Has anyone ever seen one of these? I've been looking out for about 3 years for one with no luck. :(

I like the HA-1, too!

As an aside, I have an HA-2 as well, which I bought (very cheaply I might add..) before knowing it needed a dedicated headshell to go with it. Has anyone ever seen one of these? I've been looking out for about 3 years for one with no luck. :(

I've seen a couple on the Japanese auction sites but they are typically in rough shape. The HA-3 looks equally interesting, has a dedicated resistor/implant for your headshell and appears to have adjustable gain (don't quote me on that one...that knob does something...). The loosely/poorly google translated Japanese pages I've read on the HA-3 say it's quite good ("closer to the master"). They typically appear in nicer shape than the HA-2's but go quickly for moderate prices ($400-$600) and often without the implant (that looks as though it could be made from scratch). If I can solve the deep hum (no static) with my HA-1 I will love it too.

Funnily enough, my first plan was to make the HA-2 headshell's implant myself, so I paid a fortune for a rare copy of the service manual, only to find it gives absolutely no details of the devices that are encapsulated in the shell. Thanks very much, Yamaha... :mad:

DBCE48D4-F30D-4C56-AB82-EC8CBA6C77D9.jpeg 39A54859-C40A-413E-A096-B3339FEDAF6F.jpeg I’m new to the forum and Yamaha, recently bought an MX 1000 and a TX 1000. Man I like these and the amp has plenty of clean power the tuner picks up a lot of stations using a cheap antenna. I’ve been using the amp a lot and never seen the protection light on, brought the amp to a friends house for him to see, plugged in and the protection light comes on for several seconds now until a relay clicks and then it goes off, is this a problem?

I’ve been using the amp a lot and never seen the protection light on, brought the amp to a friends house for him to see, plugged in and the protection light comes on for several seconds now until a relay clicks and then it goes off, is this a problem?

It should have always done that? It is normal for the startup for the protection light to be on until voltage stabilizes.

I told my friend I bet it’s supposed to be on during startup and moving it around got the lamp working again! This thing is amazing. I’m watching another one. My question now is should I buy the matching pre or use any old pre such as I have access to several different carver pre’s? The Kenwood Im using now works good but I’m always wanting more.

the amp has plenty of clean power

These amps can drive any of the most difficult loads sustained.
Yamaha doesent tell you clearly in the specs, but 2ohm loads for this amp are no problem (given that it is in proper working order)
You can connect three sets of speakers and run them in parallel at the same time. If u do the math, that is a 2 ohm load if you follow Yamaha's recommend loads of 8,8,4.
But I know someone running three sets of CVs @ 4,4,4. That is a combine load of a woopin' 1.33ohm, if my early morning math is correct.
This qualifies this as a bad ass amp in my book.

protection light comes on for several seconds now until a relay clicks and then it goes off, is this a problem?

Expected behavior

Last edited:
One other thing that we found really weird was when I unhooked the amp from my audio partners system and I carried downstairs and out to my truck and sat it on the backseat, the protection lamp was lit! I didn’t take a photo but have a witness to verify this. It then went out seconds later. How could this have happened? Is it an electrostatic solution which could’ve caused this from a cap?

C554 bleeding down after power off.
Perhaps so, but i doesn’t bleed down now after turn off. I’m amazed that it would stay on for say 2 min while carrying to truck. Either way I’ll chalk it up to (don’t bring an amp anywhere) to many things can happen!

Perhaps so, but i doesn’t bleed down now after turn off. I’m amazed that it would stay on for say 2 min while carrying to truck. Either way I’ll chalk it up to (don’t bring an amp anywhere) to many things can happen!
Perhaps it was just the way the ambient light was shining on the lens.

Perhaps it was just the way the ambient light was shining on the lens.
No no no the protection light was lit and we held a towel over it and got eye level with it and it was bright, didn’t make any sense that it would be bright. Still can’t fathom why it was lit, the power light was clearly not lit or had a glare.

No no no the protection light was lit and we held a towel over it and got eye level with it and it was bright, didn’t make any sense that it would be bright. Still can’t fathom why it was lit, the power light was clearly not lit or had a glare.
Was alcohol involved? LOL. Just joking. As long as it's not staying illuminated at power up.:thumbsup:

C554 bleeding down after power off.

Bruno, Avionic is spot on when it comes to these things.
If the capacitor is not draining fast enough, you might have to consider replacing it. Look into dielectric absorption.

Back
Top Bottom