Selecting replacement tweeters for speakers with no SPL rating?

Eastham

More Class-A than ever!
A while ago I got a pair of Wharfedale Dovedale 3 but unfortunetely had a tweeter fail, the dome material cracked and the tweeter sound crackly and awful... So I set about finding a replacement, but this is the most information I could find on my speakers.

3KafFrz.png

Given it doesn't seem to show any 1w 1m SPL level other than "Zero level" I decided to go with a pair of tweeters rated at a SPL of 90DB (Monacor DT-140's) given I feel that these Dovedales are pretty efficient. It was recently suggested to me that the Dovedales have a SPL rating of 84DB since 14 + 70 = 84DB, no idea how he came to this conclusion but I'm considering building a L-Pad to bring these tweeters down to a SPL of 84DB but using my amplifiers tone controls, turnover at 5KHz which is the crossover point of the tweeter and mid range and set the tone control at -3 which should give me about a 6DB drop, doing this made the speakers sound kinda lacking in high end.

So I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me as to finding what the SPL of my speakers is.

Hard to read but it looks to me like they measured at 5 watts. So 1 watt is 7 dB less than displayed and you can figure the level from the 70 dB reference point. Using the mic distance, you can also calculate the volume at 1 meter.

Hard to read but it looks to me like they measured at 5 watts. So 1 watt is 7 dB less than displayed and you can figure the level from the 70 dB reference point. Using the mic distance, you can also calculate the volume at 1 meter.

I think I understand how he came to the conclusion, the SPL of 70 plus the 14DB ish on the graph giving 84DB, I made a pair of L-Pads to drop each tweeter 6DB, 4 ohm in parallel and a 2 ohm in series. No more harshness at high volumes! I guess they sound kinda muddy at low volumes because I was so used to the overdriven highs.

HI, I run a pair of Dovedale 3's and have done for years, cracking speakers, i do have a couple of original tweeters, which i have repaired, i will be keeping as a spare. common on these the aluminium coil tails break near the purple dome. i managed o solder some new tails, they work perfectly. i did in fact come accross you on this forum while searching TRITON 3 info, which i use as my main speakers, tho i have modified these to suit myself. I have a triton 2 and a triton 3 pair, which are keepers, and sound great to my ears, tho' not standard anymore, do sound wonderful..20181009_175812.jpg 20181010_200235.jpg 20181010_200248.jpg 20181010_200416.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
HI, I run a pair of Dovedale 3's and have done for years, cracking speakers, i do have a couple of original tweeters, which i have repaired, i will be keeping one as a spare. common on these the aluminium coil tails break near the purple dome. i managed o solder some new tails, they work perfectly. i did in fact come accross you on this forum while searching TRITON 3 info, which i use as my main speakers, tho i have modified these to suit myself. I have a triton 2 and a triton 3 pair, which are keepers, and sound great to my ears, tho' not standard anymore, do sound wonderful..View attachment 1307149 View attachment 1307150 View attachment 1307151 View attachment 1307152

Nice, I loved my Triton 3's wish I never gave them up. [Mod Edit]

On the topic at hand I did a little more tweaking and removed the L-Pads, the 90DB tweeters are actually lower than the originals which seem to be 92DB SPL. After playing my Dovedales with a L-Pads in a correct setting The lack of highs was very noticeable and being placed correctly they sound much better without the L-Pads obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom