Fisher President VIII - Gutted

Thanks! I looked through the literature, and was confused as to which terms meant what, so your direction clarifies things. I'll probably hold off on dropping $4k on it.... lol. I thrift shop a LOT so hopefully someday I'll come across another Fisher with the same insides. Is there a way to cross-reference other consoles that used the same equipment? Or is that not a thing?
The best reference I am aware of is the one linked previously: http://www.fisherconsoles.com/
Be sure to keep an eye on your thread here as I am sure some of the frequent posters in this forum will be chiming in with all of the wonderful information resident in their heads. :)

If you simply wanted to get something in it to get it going, basically any integrated receiver should fit in one of the openings, like a 500B, 800C, etc. Fabricate and finish a panel to place over the openings with one cutout for the receiver. Then as you find the correct pieces, you still have something to use.

Once complete, sell the receiver or use it in another room... like potato chips--you can't have just one!

It won't be cheap but most things worth doing aren't.

If you simply wanted to get something in it to get it going, basically any integrated receiver should fit in one of the openings, like a 500B, 800C, etc.

There is a Kenwood KA-7002 in an online auction near me. Is this something that would work or be worth my while? I have no idea what a good price would be.

Just a thought (God--there I go thinkin' again), but I have a friend in our very small local audio community that is really into consoles--1st for the "furniture" and 2nd for the audio/video aspect. He finds old consoles and installs "modern" components in them--once the lids/doors are closed, it still "looks" like 50's or 60's, but they sure don't sound like that. He even goes so far as to install new LCD/LED TVs into old console TV/stereo units, and if you are unsure about speakers, just bolt down a pair of conventional speakers to the chassis inside that big old cabinet--right behind that old fabric.Many possibilities... Good Luck!!!

There is a Kenwood KA-7002 in an online auction near me. Is this something that would work or be worth my while? I have no idea what a good price would be.
That is a not so common to find Kenwood integrated amp. I've heard they are rather nice sounding. Things to consider are you probably would want to have it checked out by an electronics tech as it is from the early 70s and may need a thing or two done to get up to snuff, it is more powerful than the original amplifier, which shouldn't be a problem but is more power than the speaker drivers in your console require, and lastly, is unlikely to fit in the openings in the console but you may be able to find a way to arrange something like this where it works/looks good.

I can relate. I see so many "upcycled" (chalk painted) mid century furniture that absolutely destroys the value. And chalk paint is a nightmare to remove, so restoring a piece takes 10 x more effort than if they had just left it alone. I've seen pcs worth $800+ (in the mcm world) that can't be unloaded for $200 after their hack paint job.

Yeah kills me when that gets done. Let's make mid century look "rustic" and absolutely destroy the aesthetic and act like it ups the value.

Thanks! I looked through the literature, and was confused as to which terms meant what, so your direction clarifies things. I'll probably hold off on dropping $4k on it.... lol. I thrift shop a LOT so hopefully someday I'll come across another Fisher with the same insides. Is there a way to cross-reference other consoles that used the same equipment? Or is that not a thing?

Let's say I don't buy the exact equipment that it had.... How do I find pieces with comparable functions? If I understand correctly, I'm looking for a preamp, tuner, and power amp?

I'm wondering if you could do something like a fisher X-100 in place of the preamp as it's pretty close in dimensions from what I can find and get a Fisher tuner to match it. If you didn't want to deal with a separate power amp.

Just please do not cut any holes bigger on the console.

How about this:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...io-amplifier-board-with-bluetooth-40--325-105

It is a 50wpc Bluetooth amp board. You need the button/knob kit also and an 18v power supply...But for $60, you can link your phone to it . Just take a thin sheet of plastic/metal, mount the knobs and buttons to it and you're in business. Easy peasy.

Just please do not cut any holes bigger on the console.
I am horrified by that thought! I think my husband wants to completely gut the whole thing (to make it lighter) and modify to put in our own equipment. I'm trying to find a way to convince him that simply removing pieces is okay, but the thought of altering it (cutting things off/apart) gives me anxiety, lol.

I am horrified by that thought! I think my husband wants to completely gut the whole thing (to make it lighter) and modify to put in our own equipment. I'm trying to find a way to convince him that simply removing pieces is okay, but the thought of altering it (cutting things off/apart) gives me anxiety, lol.

I definitely wouldn't chop it up. Plus it's most likely more valuable intact for restoration purposes than chopped up and potentially compromised structurally. I think your bet bet would be to check the dimensions of the slot and find fisher pieces that have close dimensions. The original R-200 tuner should be doable at not completely insane prices and you might be able to fit an integrated depending on how much wiggle room it has and forgo the power amp.

I'm wondering if you could do something like a fisher X-100 in place of the preamp as it's pretty close in dimensions from what I can find and get a Fisher tuner to match it. If you didn't want to deal with a separate power amp.
I was thinking this EXACT same thing, it looks very likely to be of the same dimensions...:thumbsup:

It should give you anxiety, it gives ME anxiety, and I am interwebs away.... :)
It would hurt the value, hurt the piece and hurt my feelings.
It will be hard to find the right physical size of components to go into it. That's why a little DIY kit is perfect! ... and you get to build it! :biggrin:

Are you missing the doors that cover the speakers? If I remember right the console has 2 doors on each side that have a bi-fold type mount. If you need measurements I can get them when I go out to storage. I have a 62' owners manual if interested. I believe it would be the same as your model but the manual for the 62' has a different tuner and an added MPX unit as it's not stereo.

If interested I also have a restored R-200 that came out of a president that had a badly damaged cabinet. You could use it with almost any of the Fisher integrated amplifiers. One of the amplifiers could mount where the 400CX2 was without modifications, although it may have had a small verticle wood filler between the components you would need to make. It would make for a great and usable console. Sorry but I sold the 400CX2 to a forum member and I traded off the amplifier.

Last edited:
Are you missing the doors that cover the speakers? If I remember right the console has 2 doors on each side that have a bi-fold type mount. If you need measurements I can get them when I go out to storage. I have a 62' owners manual if interested. I believe it would be the same as your model but the manual for the 62' has a different tuner and an added MPX unit as it's not stereo.

If interested I also have a restored R-200 that came out of a president that had a badly damaged cabinet. You could use it with almost any of the Fisher integrated amplifiers. One of the amplifiers could mount where the 400CX2 was without modifications, although it may have had a small verticle wood filler between the components you would need to make. It would make for a great and usable console. Sorry but I sold the 400CX2 to a forum member and I traded off the amplifier.

The doors are missing, but I don't want to add them back because I like the look of the fabric, actually. This will be my full time entertainment center, and it's really handy to store your other remote controlled devices behind the speaker area, because the remotes work through the fabric. I'd definitely be interested in more info on the R-200!

Is there a way to cross-reference other consoles that used the same equipment? Or is that not a thing?

Let's say I don't buy the exact equipment that it had.... How do I find pieces with comparable functions? If I understand correctly, I'm looking for a preamp, tuner, and power amp?

If I understand the highlighted question correctly you're looking for info on any equipment, such as a you mentioned, preamp, tuner, and power amp? or are you specifically looking at other Fisher consoles? if so the link I posted earlier in the thread has a

The Fisher link is pretty intensive and kudo's to whoever created it. Here's some more Fisher info

http://www.hifilit.com/Fisher/fisher.htm

The doors are missing, but I don't want to add them back because I like the look of the fabric, actually. This will be my full time entertainment center, and it's really handy to store your other remote controlled devices behind the speaker area, because the remotes work through the fabric. I'd definitely be interested in more info on the R-200!

OK I'll send you info on the R200.

It's common for people to remove the components from the President console because of their value. Real shame as every one is a masterpiece.

There is a cabinet right now (I think a 1961) that just showed up on Ebay a couple hours ago. It's only a 45 minute drive from me. Same guy who gutted one about 6 months back. I've seen many show up in the Los Angeles area over the last few years.

Welcome to AK! If you think you can swing it, put in whatever components you can to make it a functional music center, but do it in a way that you can add the "correct" components at a later time. The hardest part, or at least the most expensive part, will be the preamp, as the 400-CV-2 goes for quite a lot, especially if you want it to say "President" on the glass.

If you decide to try and rebuild with Fisher gear, you might be able to fill your unit with the standard equipment from the 62 or 64 Presidents. This may make the search a bit easier. I have a '64 President that was partially stripped. Sadly it is the French Provincial style. Restoring it is so contingent on finding the preamp (the same as in your model) that I have shelved it unless I find the preamp. I have smaller Fisher consoles I can use in the interim. But if I had a Modern cabinet my priorities would probably change.

Are the speakers at least in it?

Just getting around to hauling this project out after a LONG winter and have started on stripping and refinishing of the wood. The speakers are intact. Question: are they desirable? My hubby doesn't really have any interest in keeping them and wants to convert the speaker area into storage. I'm not a huge audiophile so perhaps they would be better enjoyed by someone else.

fAEt2ho.jpg

I got a few pieces at an auction recently and am hoping I did good and they'll have their new home in my Fisher President cabinet...
a Sansui 2000x and Miracord 750 turntable.

NyAdap7.jpg

bm2wkce.jpg

Back
Top Bottom