Infinity RSII Front Covers

L78MARK

I had the front covers off of my Infinity RS-II speakers while cleaning them and unfortunately both covers were on the sofa when someone sat on and destroyed them. Buying a new set is not an option so unfortunately I am gonna have to have another set made. I really don’t want to use the flimsy particle board that Infinity originally used to make these covers so I was wondering if anyone ever made or heard of someone making a set of covers out of something other than particle board or is that my only option. Thanks…
Mark

I will eventually make a set for mine that came to me without them. I had dimensions around here somewhere I got from actually measuring a pair on loan from a fellow AK'er but I can't find them - it's been a while. My plan was to use either .5" or .75" MDF.

Evan.....I know it's been a while, but if you still have yours would you mind posting measurements?

I’d think it could be done with some hardwood like oak, red oak but it’s going to be somewhat pricey. Maybe a good laminated void free plywood could work. Were you able to save yours as a template or pieces for measuring. I know that sucks for sure, whenever I remove grills now I go to great lengths to protect them. They are fragile.

I will be able to use the old ones as a template, The dimensions are 3/4 thick, 46" tall 12" wide and it has a center support at 19 1/2 which has the holes where the studs go in. It looks like I will have to recover them as well. there are tears in the cover where they cracked. If there was a time I ever wanted to smack a 10YO up side his head that was it. My brother in laws brother is a cabinet maker so I showed them to him and he said it would not be a problem to make them. He mentioned something about putting fiberglass matt and resin over them to strengthen them but I would be worried about them being too heavy.
Mark

Simply use them as a template and toss the original crumbley material for a plywood of the same thickness.

Quite a feat they made it this long before breaking.
I've seen popcicle sticks and other types of repairs.
I've tried two or three fixes as well.
i did not have much luck using staples, nails, or screws, or epoxy either.
I ended up using 1/4" X 3/4" screen moulding (stained to match the finish on the speakers) around the perimeter of my broken frames to give them some stability.
I think the best solution might be a carpenter or woodworker who could make "real" frames from the existing ones as a template using a more solid type of wood.

That is exactly what I was thinking, we are toying with the idea of using 3/4" or 1" oak and using glue and biscuit joints to assemble it. Once the glue drys and you take off the clamps it will be solid and you wont have to worry about the grill's breaking again.
Mark

Quite a feat they made it this long before breaking.
I've seen popcicle sticks and other types of repairs.
I've tried two or three fixes as well.
i did not have much luck using staples, nails, or screws, or epoxy either.
I ended up using 1/4" X 3/4" screen moulding (stained to match the finish on the speakers) around the perimeter of my broken frames to give them some stability.
I think the best solution might be a carpenter or woodworker who could make "real" frames from the existing ones as a template using a more solid type of wood.

High quality, single piece MDF is the way to go. Match the original cutouts and chamfers. Plywood and even solid wood can warp and twist to easily. Your brother in law knows his business, some fiberglass reinforcement at the stress points would be awesome but probably not needed as long as you keep the grilles off the couch. Also you might see/feel the reinforced areas through the stretched grille fabric.

EDIT: If you're going to do something with oak you might as well get creative and leave the wood stained and exposed for a custom grille look.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom