Bubo

There are two push on connectors on the back of the unit for the antennas.

I tried an RG6 to push on converter from Radio Shack, no luck near zero sensitivity

Is there a special Yamaha push on connector that is required ?????
there was one included in the manual drawings, but I don't' have it.

There are uni-pole antennas on Amazon that are listed as Yamaha push on,
but I would rather use my roof antenna for obvious reasons.

Otherwise, how hard is it to replace the TX 1000 push-ons with UHF or RG6 ?

482644-collectors_yamaha_tx1000u_amfm_super_tuner.jpg

Last edited:
Someone will come along that knows their name. F connector??
The ones I got screw onto the normal cable threaded connectors.
They're marvelous! So nice to be able to unplug an antenna same as an RCA connector.
And, the TX1000 is a great unit! Note that you can program each of 30? presets for all the variables (settings like bandwidth, muting, mono/stereo, and others) as well as which of two antennas it will connect to. That feature is real handy if you have two major sources like NYC and Philly!

This is what I use to use the 300Ω flat wire antenna with my TX-1000.

FM Adapter.jpg

So if you are using 300Ω wire this one if you have 75Ω round wire the one Dave pictured.

Hey the TX-1000 has two antenna inputs how about one of each? Cheap folded dipole for the local stations and the big, fancy outdoor antenna for the serious DXing use of the tuner.

Thanks to both of you,

yes I have the push on F-Cons, from two different vendors.

Since it's not the connector, then a tune up is in order.

FYI, that's a very fine tuner. I had a hot-rodded T85 and a TX2.
They are arguably superior to the TX1000 in some areas, but the TX1000 won my heart. It is so much user friendly? than the others that I sold them.
And if I really need a DXer, I can fire up the little Sony which wipes the floor with all of them on DX and adjacent channel selectivity, but somehow, it's still in the drawer!

I had a couple, stock. Sweetest sound on AM of any transistor tuner I've heard. Loved the
controls and the overall look, it just wasn't as sensitive as some others I had.

Otherwise, how hard is it to replace the TX 1000 push-ons with UHF or RG6 ?
Mixing up connectors and cable, you do not want to use a (UHF)/PL259 connector.
using RG-6 is a good idea for longer lengths of coax.
The problem with the 75/300ohm balun is that the center pin is smaller than the diameter required for the existing connector
At least the adapter that Avonics shows has a taper to it so it might make sufficient center pin contact
On my T-85, I drilled a hole in the back and wired a proper "F" jack. wired coax from the F jack to the tabs that run to the pcb on the existing connector. the TX-1000/2000 it is trickier since they have dual inputs under a shield iirc

I tried an RG6 to push on converter from Radio Shack, no luck near zero sensitivity

Make sure the Antenna input connector is not damaged internally. Sometimes people use the wrong adapter and break them - I've seen a couple like that now.

Also, don't depend on the TX-1000 signal meter to show a "strong" signal. The meter stays very low even on moderate strength signals, so it is quite unlike most other tuners.

Last, there is a quick mod (reversible) for the Yamaha TX-1000 that allows stereo to work on weak signals (instead of muting them). See picture below. Enjoy
Bob
upload_2018-10-24_13-5-50.jpeg

Last, there is a quick mod (reversible) for the Yamaha TX-1000 that allows stereo to work on weak signals (instead of muting them). See picture below. Enjoy
Bob
View attachment 1313500
Bob, I'm glad you posted that photo, I remember seeing it once and could not find it again. I love my TX-1000, but it goes to mono all too soon on what seem to be decent signals. Time to open it up and do a TX-ectomy.

update: finally got to it and did the snip, much better now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom