Kappa 6.1 Aquisition

TomBig58

I got a great deal on a pair of black ash series II models in very good condition. Picked up unheard the owner thought it needed a replacement woofer as well as refoam the other but after removal and testing I'm convinced the new surrounds is all that's needed for both. Original style foam or rubber? The polydomes sound good and covers are pliable. Tweeters good. Should I ohm all the drivers? Any insulation, bracing, or crossover suggestions?

Also picked up some CS 3008 need refoam all six drivers. I can't wait to A/B test them side by side since they are so similar in vintage.

Attachments

• 20181021_145649.jpg
    20181021_145649.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 20181021_145658.jpg
    20181021_145658.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20181021_152355.jpg
    20181021_152355.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 20181019_143826.jpg
    20181019_143826.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 20181019_143943.jpg
    20181019_143943.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 80
Foam
Rubber lasts longer and is maintenance free but the foam is lighter and faster, which is all part of the Infinity sound anyway/.
Besides, I don;t think you can even find rubber surrounds for older Infinities.
Just expect to re-foam every 15-20 years since it's not that hard anyway.

Stick with the foam, and make sure you get the correct ones (i.e. don't buy generics that just happen to fit). Changing the surrounds changes the parameters of the woofer, which is what the original speaker was based on.

These cabs don't need additional bracing, they're very solidly built. If the drivers sound good then they probably are good. Infinity used good quality caps and they should be fine for at least another 10 years. Just refoam and enjoy.

I've been in love with my Qb's and emits since I got them a couple years ago and have been patiently waiting for a deal on RS or Kappa series. The Kappa guy just wanted them out of his basement to a good home and the CS guy is making extra space in his storage for a three month move to California. I had to work on the CS guy a little bit as his perceived value with six speakers to refoam was unrealistic. Opportunity knocked. I answered. I am very happy. Ordered the proper foam surrounds already from Midwest. I don't want to fart around with cheap e-bay knockoffs for these puppies.

Fantastic! Opportunity doesn't always knock with dual sets. I've been fortunate, but always looking. Interested in the future post on the sound comparison. Hope all comes together well for you.

Tap, tap, tap......impatiently waiting for the surrounds to arrive. The Kappa drivers are cleaned up and ready to go but the 3008's are still under wraps in the garage.

Nice score Tom, both are great speakers. I've had the 3007's and 3009's. The 3008 is supposed to be the sweetheart of the line.

The only pair of bi-ampable speakers I have are Klipsch RF3's and I never really cared for them until I bi-amped them. I have an Adcom 535L, 60wpc but it has gain pots..... I really needed the adjustment to tame those Klipsch horns. I doubt I'll have that issue with either Infinity model but I AM looking forward to bi-amping them. Adcom GFA545 or Rotel RB990BX for the low end or mix/match with the 535 in the mix so I won't be lacking for power.

It was after midnight when I remounted the woofers and tested out the Kappa's so I couldn't push them. They come so well regarded I can't say I'm surprised but very, very pleased by what I hear so far. I'm set up for A/B amps and A-D speakers for now but I don't need beta testing to know the Kappa's will not only push some others out of the rotation but out the door as well, especially since I am literally out of room.

Attachments

• 20181026_003339.jpg
    20181026_003339.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20181026_003417.jpg
    20181026_003417.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 32
The only pair of bi-ampable speakers I have are Klipsch RF3's and I never really cared for them until I bi-amped them. I have an Adcom 535L, 60wpc but it has gain pots..... I really needed the adjustment to tame those Klipsch horns. I doubt I'll have that issue with either Infinity model but I AM looking forward to bi-amping them. Adcom GFA545 or Rotel RB990BX for the low end or mix/match with the 535 in the mix so I won't be lacking for power.

Have you used the Rotel with any Infinitys? Impressions?
Just wondering as I have a RB990BX in my spares pile. I figure it has enough current to run my RS II's, just haven't tried it.

I've only had the Rotel for a month or so and it is markedly bassier than some other gear, at least with an NAD 7030 receiver as a pre. So far I A/B'd it with Luxman 1120 receiver and HK PM660 amp with same results...much more bass. I've been meaning to contact AKer Bob, who I got it from to see if he noticed this as well. It really showed up with some AR 58s speakers that I still have hooked up which were bright and lacking some bass and the Rotel cleaned that right up, but makes other speakers heavy on the bass. I'm still not sure if it's a function of the amp from the factory or changes from the recap Bob did.

I cranked the Kappa's with the Rotel for just a little while earlier today and found them very bass-ey. They are forward of other gear as shown in the pics so I don't think it's placement. My room kind of sucks for soundfield anyway it's a work in progress. Full disclosure I generally prefer the crisp and fast bass from acoustic suspension over ported or passive.

I noticed there is just some thick padding type foam in the Kappa cabinet and not much between the woofer and the port. I'm going to play with adding insulation, move some other speakers out of the way for better placement, and swap some equipment for more testing. I'm going to do all this before trying any bi-amp configuration. I'll post pics and comments from the insulation experiment.

I've only had the Rotel for a month or so and it is markedly bassier than some other gear, at least with an NAD 7030 receiver as a pre. So far I A/B'd it with Luxman 1120 receiver and HK PM660 amp with same results...much more bass. I've been meaning to contact AKer Bob, who I got it from to see if he noticed this as well. It really showed up with some AR 58s speakers that I still have hooked up which were bright and lacking some bass and the Rotel cleaned that right up, but makes other speakers heavy on the bass. I'm still not sure if it's a function of the amp from the factory or changes from the recap Bob did.

I cranked the Kappa's with the Rotel for just a little while earlier today and found them very bass-ey. They are forward of other gear as shown in the pics so I don't think it's placement. My room kind of sucks for soundfield anyway it's a work in progress. Full disclosure I generally prefer the crisp and fast bass from acoustic suspension over ported or passive.

I noticed there is just some thick padding type foam in the Kappa cabinet and not much between the woofer and the port. I'm going to play with adding insulation, move some other speakers out of the way for better placement, and swap some equipment for more testing. I'm going to do all this before trying any bi-amp configuration. I'll post pics and comments from the insulation experiment.

Thanks for your impressions, I appreciate it.
I may have used the Rotel briefly with my RSM's but I'm pretty sure I haven't tried it with the II's.

Well my insulation experiment failed. It seemed to me that it was cabinet resonance that muddied up the bass so I added fiberfill above and below the 2" foam padding which was above and below the woofer. Also added some woolly material kind of forming a woofer box careful not to cover the port opening. It was worse! I pulled it all out leaving only the factory fiberfill above the bracing and the foam pad at the very bottom. I even left out the factory 2"foam above and below the woofer so it's basically an empty box below the mid. The bass is still not near as crisp as I would like. Not too bad at low volume but when I crank it up the bass just rumbles and rolls. Polarity is OK. It's not placement. Crossover? New woofers?Any suggestions?
Pic1 factory or as I got them
Pic2 material I used
Pic3 looking down toward the port
Pic 4 fully insulated woofer enclosure...bad idea lol
Pic5 factory foam blank-offs

Attachments

• 20181027_205134.jpg
    20181027_205134.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20181027_191544.jpg
    20181027_191544.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20181027_192853.jpg
    20181027_192853.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20181027_193013.jpg
    20181027_193013.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20181027_192127.jpg
    20181027_192127.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 33
Is it possible I effed up the new surround install? Too much excursion with the new surrounds? Not enough? These come a little too highly regarded for me to shrug this off as "this is how they sound". The bass reminds me of an old concert in a crappy venue where it just rolls around the building drowning out subsequent notes. It's more than just placement I have other front ported speakers that do not do that in the same location.

? I hope someone has the answer for you. My Kappa 7s are not ported.They are packed. No real open areas. My rs3006s on the other hand are ported and I originally packed them and they sounded muffled. I ended up moderately filling them. I adjusted about 5 times until I hit the sweat spot.

I might try covering the woofer basket and port opening with cheesecloth and lightly fill with the polyfill. Honestly I don't think that will rectify the situation. I'm going to zero in on the crossovers, I see by the schematic there IS one cap in the woofer circuit, along with a couple of coils. Before I move them aside and order any parts I plan to swap equipment and try bi-amping with a couple of adcoms that I know to have good, clean power. I've only done simple crossovers before (old JBL, KLH or Advent) so any advice from the experienced on proceeding or upgrades would be helpful. Here is a link and a pic.

http://www.infinity-classics.de/technik/manuals/Kappa_6.1_technical_sheet.pdf

Attachments

• 20181027_191455.jpg
    20181027_191455.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20181027_191446.jpg
    20181027_191446.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom