Home Sweet Home - Hopefully

usedto

Lunatic Member
Sold our house, warehouse, and 8 acres of industrial property in May. The buyer is working with the county to get permits for his trucking company, so he is allowing us to stay here up to a year. I immediately found a small warehouse to move my business to, then started looking for a place to live. Stumbled across a small development in a nearby town that really appeals to us, so we got ahold of the builder. He had three already started , but they weren't what we wanted. He suggested we come and look at the plans for the next two that were just having the foundations poured. Wifey loved the floor plan. It's a little more house than we need for just the two of us, but you have to keep resale value in mind. We like the location, and the builder does really nice work, so we picked one, and laid claim to it. Unfortunately he doesn't have all of the title work done yet, so we don't have a contract, but he's getting ready for us to start picking colors, cabinets, flooring, etc. I'm sure he'll have the paperwork soon. Hope nothing gets in the way. We have an "approximate" price, but nothing set in stone. We try to drive by every Sunday just to check the progress. He's started two more since we were there last.

Here's what it looks like now:

home sweet home.jpg

Last edited:
Too old to be moving. Enjoy
Luckily it's only 7 or 8 miles. We know it was coming, so we only replaced furniture and appliances if they HAD to. Most of it will stay here or get the garage sale treatment.

In a few weeks I'll start moving my business from a 5000 sq ft warehouse into 1600 sq ft. Lots to get rid of. I've already taken down 3 rows of pallet rack and boxed things up for the move.

warehouse.jpg

New house! If that house was in my neighborhood it would be worth a ton. Anyways, I moved this year and it was a real hassle. Moving the audio collection made me wish my hobby took less space, like watches.

Well, it's been awhile, but today we signed the contract on the house. Doesn't look much different on the outside than in the last photo. All of the sheetrock is up inside, so they can stucco the outside now. We meet with a company next week to pick all of the colors, flooring, counter tops, tile, etc. Wifey picked the inside doors today. The garage doors and inside cabinets had already been ordered, but we both really like them She can choose whatever counter tops she likes. The outside is also partly stone, so we pick that, too. The house sits on a corner, and the 3 car garage/driveway will access both streets.

Should be done first or second week of March. Will show more photos now that it's moving along.

Took a trip over this morning - alot has been done since we signed the contract. The guys were putting on the first coat of stucco:
DSCF4738.JPG DSCF4737.JPG

The garage doors are also up. They were covering them before the stucco goes on:

20190119_102844.jpg

We wanted to go inside and do some measuring, but it was all locked up. We could see through the front door side windows, and the walls are textured and the cabinets have been delivered. All looks good.

I like that house, I grew up in a big house and got my fill of that back then, just empty space to take care of. "Quality" and the right size, that's the ticket. I'm going to move also, cash this house out. I already bought a dump of a house(only paid 50K) 120 miles away from me in the area I want to look around in for a better house. I will move to the tiny project house, sell this house I stay in most of the time, then use the cash from that sale to buy a place I will expect to be the final place. You think that to be your last place? What's been bothering me is that I've known I won't stay in this house, so it's hard for me to really enjoy working on things around here and having fun working on things, getting things to be just like I want them to be. I'm tired of living like that.

It's way more house than we need, but the businessman in me looks at it as a good investment to pass on to the kids.

Went color shopping yesterday. I was totally outnumbered. Three women that work there plus my wife vs me. There was a guy there too, but he knew well enough to stay out of it.

All kidding aside, the girls were all really nice and knew their "stuff". We had already pretty much decided which colors we wanted, but their input made it all come together.

Here are the exterior colors we picked:

Exterior Colors.jpg
Although most of the house is stucco and stone, the builder really wanted to do one section (two walls) in siding of a different color. He was really happy when we agreed. The top color will be the stucco color. The middle left will be the siding, middle right the trim and gutters. The bottom is the stone that will be the bottom three feet.

We started on the inside colors, but the girls didn't have a sample of the cabinets, so we're holding off until next week when we can put all the interior colors - flooring, showers, counter tops, etc. together. We have tentative flooring chosen. That will all be firmed up next time.

Finished picking the balance of the colors today. Flooring, granite counter tops, backsplash tile, shower walls and pan, grout, etc. I mostly let the wife and girls from the flooring place make all the decisions, with an occasional nod from me. Happy the way it's all coming together.

Only a few upgrades from his original budget. The fireplace is in a corner, with the face the same rock veneer as outside. We chose to go all the way to the ceiling with the rock instead of just to the top of the fireplace. Another extra was to go all LVP (WPC) flooring throughout the house - no carpet. We were middle of the fence, but the ladies at the flooring center all said they preferred all LVP - no carpet. The extra charge was minimal.

Getting closer.

Back
Top Bottom