Mountains To Climb; One A Day

Shominy

Lunatic Member
One image a day of the most mystical, dynamic, and intangible edges that reach into my depths- mountain regions. Some of the most spectacular imagery imaginable from around the Web.

“Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb.” Greg Child

“Go where you feel most alive.”

“I like the mountains because they make me feel small. They help me sort out what’s important in life.”― Mark Obmascik

"Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach the top. Then you will see how low it was.” Dag Hammerskjold

“The mountains are calling and I must go.” – John Muir

“Mountains are only a problem when they are bigger than you. You should develop yourself so much that you become bigger than the mountains you face.”
― Idowu Koyenikan

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.” – T.S. Eliot

“Climb the mountain not to plant your flag, but to embrace the challenge, enjoy the air and behold the view. Climb it so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.” ― David McCullough Jr.

“If adventure has a final and all-embracing motive, it is surely this: we go out because it is our nature to go out, to climb mountains, and to paddle rivers, to fly to the planets and plunge into the depths of the oceans… When man ceases to do these things, he is no longer man.” – Wilfrid Noyce

“Great things are done when men and mountains meet; This is not done by jostling in the street.” William Blake

‘’The most dangerous thing you can do in life is play it safe.’’ – Casey Neistat

“Nature is one of the most underutilized treasures in life. It has the power to unburden hearts and reconnect to that inner place of peace.” Janice Anderson

“It’s not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves." – Sir Edmund Hillary

Ama Dablam, E. Nepal

Ama-Dablam-Mist-MAG1.jpg

The Matterhorn, of course. It's on my wish list for climbing. :thumbsup:
16595080006_1d478b447e_b.jpg

What you are seeing here is what's called a banner cloud. If forms in the lee of a high peak if the temperature/relative humidity are correspondingly synched. The drop in air pressure in the vortex and turbulence in the mountain's lee causes condensation downwind until it evaporates some distance from the peak. Imagine the ancients witnessing a 'smoking mountain'.. Very mysterious and perhaps an angry god.

Back
Top Bottom