RF-7 III's Anyone own a pair?

RS Steve

Tube Junkie
Subscriber
I have someone wanting to trade me these RF-7 III speakers and 500.00 for my Belles, the RF-7's are brand new (cherry finish) in their sealed and unopened boxes. Probably a good deal value wise, but my Belle's are something special.

I have someone wanting to trade me these RF-7 III speakers and 500.00 for my Belles, the RF-7's are brand new (cherry finish) in their sealed and unopened boxes. Probably a good deal value wise, but my Belle's are something special.

I’ve had my RF-7’s a couple of years now and love them. Aesthetically they’re beautiful in the cherry finish. I also have a pair of JBL L200’s that I’ve had for 40 some odd years and love them too!! It’s nice to have a couple of pairs of speakers that are a little different from each other. I can’t say I know much about the Belle’s, but have heard good things about them. Good luck!

Listened to a bunch of U-tube videos comparing the original RF-7 series 1 to series 2, and series 3. The series 3 sounds improved and pretty impressive. Thinking my new EV Sentry III speakers can replace the Belle's, and these RF-7 III's can find a spot here also.

I have wanted the Belle's for many years even if I have never heard them.I did have my friends Lascala's for six months running off a Luxman tube integrated amp and thought they were great.I really like my RF-7II's at low volumes and when I turn the Mcintosh to full power.

Well, I went ahead and made a trade yesterday, my Belle's for the brand new RF-7 III's, (4) Bose 800's, (2) Bose 901's with EQ, Emotiva 3 channel amp, Monster power conditioner, and 250.00. Upon testing the RF-7 III's, they are a bit bright but pretty amazing sounding speakers, maybe lacking a bit of midbass from what I'm used to. The Tractrix horn is pretty special, these really have a great sound stage. I am testing them on my WOPL amp and CJ PV-8 tube preamp, and spun some vinyl which really sounded much better than CD's. These are pretty well built and very solid, so far I'm very pleased.

20181022_092635.jpg

Thought I'd try these in my tube room to see how they sound on tubes, all I can say is WOW what a difference! Much more balanced and warm sounding, who says modern speakers don't match well with vintage tube gear? Running them on my Luxman tube system, they sound much better than the Belle's. They look a bit out of place sitting with 60's era equipment though, might have to put the grills on them. Very impressed with the sound. :thumbsup:

20181022_143602.jpg 20181022_144418.jpg
20181022_150949.jpg

Last edited:
I enjoyed my RF 7II's at first , but their brightness ended up being too much for me . I think the Tubes is the right move . They look great . Congrats .

Very nice gear you have there! I thought my RF-7II's sounded much better after a couple of hundred hours but that could have been me.Congrats and cheers.

I enjoyed my RF 7II's at first , but their brightness ended up being too much for me . I think the Tubes is the right move . They look great . Congrats .
The III's are supposed to have a better horn that smooths out the highs, I didn't care for them that much hooked to my big solid state WOPL. They were very bright, biamping would solve that most likely though. Hooked to my Luxman MA-88 mono amps and CL-38 preamp, they really warmed up and have better balance. Absolutely blow away the Belle's in overall sound quality.

The III's are supposed to have a better horn that smooths out the highs, I didn't care for them that much hooked to my big solid state WOPL. They were very bright, biamping would solve that most likely though. Hooked to my Luxman MA-88 mono amps and CL-38 preamp, they really warmed up and have better balance. Absolutely blow away the Belle's in overall sound quality.
Yes , I had heard that the III's had a better tweeter too . My II's had tremendous bass and and mid range , but they were hot . I thought maybe it was because they were also recommended for HT was the reason . I am glad you like yours . I went in a completely different direction and purchased JBL L 250's . Love 'em .

The 7 III's are really sounding better the more I use them. But they sure don't get any attention, nobody seems to care about modern Klipsch.

Always been that here but that's ok.

This is the best sounding combo with using tubes I have owned so far, Luxman tubes and RF-7 III's. I'm glad they are efficient enough to match up so well. The bass has really settled in and is very much to my liking. Looks like the upper woofer carries some midrange, and the new larger voice coil in the horn driver makes things very smooth. My wife likes them better than my JBL 4435's, jury is still out on that one for me. The tube amps are likely doing a better job than the solid state WOPL at giving a balanced sound stage, Plenty of options to try out, biamping them will happen at some point.

I should go to the dealer here and have a listen to the RF-III but that is just asking for trouble.$
Yeah, there is no way I go looking to spend that kind of cash for speakers. But if you haven't heard a pair, you might want to get a listen anyway.

If you knew how little I gave for the Belle's back when I picked them up, it would make your head spin. Some kid got them from his grandpas estate, felt they didn't have any thump to them so he tried getting to the woofer. He gave up and listed them on CL.

I wish I could have gone to a dealer , but the closest one was 500 miles away . I would still like to hear a pair of the new Cornwalls .

Back
Top Bottom